Author Topic: Petition to Include Thread(s) in Classics Section  (Read 11991 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Petition to Include Thread(s) in Classics Section
Keep in mind that every thread we add, no matter how worthy, will dilute the value of every thread in that section.

This sentence makes no sense.  That is not how quality works.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
This is necessary so that the immediate excitement surrounding the thread can die down, allowing it to be more objectively evaluated on "yes, this is a worthy and timeless thread" versus "no, although this was a cool thread at the time, it is nothing special six months later".

One way to tell if a thread is a classic is by whether people are still referencing it, or posts covered in it, in a non-"this must be in the classics" manner, months later.

I direct you to the allcaps thread being included well within this timeline and hasn't been referenced since in other threads. (Except for resulting in an immediate splitlock.) Many of the original threads are of dubious relevance to anything with most of the posters in them leaving back when I joined, or before, and I've been here...jesus, seven years? Longer? They never managed to meet the reference criteria either. Any cultural impact or influence burned out ages ago.

Also even by this standard you've clearly failed to include multiple threads which met the criteria and have arguably contributed far more than the majority of the threads currently in the archive, such as Kazan's being lured into arguing against the Clangers which got referenced for two or three years after, or Goob Hates Us All, which still gets the occasional reference.

There are number of worthy threads in the Classics section.  The fact that there haven't been any new ones in two years has no bearing on that.  And there's no policy that says we must continue to add threads to the Classics.

There's no policy that says we must keep the Classics either, and HLP has eliminated boards which are not maintained before. If you want to create some random project and just allow it to rapidly die off, well, that's pretty normal around here but it's still a remarkably dick thing to do.

Seriously, the Classics section wouldn't have passed muster as a hosted campaign. It'd be gone by now.

Keep in mind that every thread we add, no matter how worthy, will dilute the value of every thread in that section.

Maybe if you mean monetary value via enforced scarcity, but I'm hoping not. Otherwise, this is patently ridiculous. That's saying that every post causes HLP to continue its infinitely long approach to zero valuable content; every page of a book makes it worse; every time someone speaks it reduces the meaning of everything they have ever said. This is clearly not the case.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If including new threads devalues the entire mass of the Classics, it's only by comparison, because the majority of threads in that section are not (or no longer) funny, helpful, or meaningful.  If "Look at the Pheropods on her, boys!" is inherently devalued next to HLPX-COM, it's because it's not a good thread, not because HLPX-COM is bad enough to make the entire section worse.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
****ing batman. it's all his fault.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Of course it makes sense.  Top 10 lists are referenced all over the place, and people are often encouraged to find out more about the things on the list.  Top 25 lists have many more choices to pick from, so that people are less likely to want to see them all.  Top 50 lists are likely to cause a person to say "bleh, can't I just learn about the top few of those?"  And if the Classics board ever gets to two pages, how many people are likely to click over to the second page?

I direct you to the allcaps thread being included well within this timeline and hasn't been referenced since in other threads.
How clever of you to take my "one way" criteria and construe it to mean "the only way".  The allcaps thread is relevant because it was a massive in-joke and referenced a trend that was pervasive throughout the forum.  And people still post ALL CAPS comments from time to time, not only in that splitlocked thread.

Many of the original threads are of dubious relevance to anything with most of the posters in them leaving back when I joined, or before, and I've been here...jesus, seven years? Longer? They never managed to meet the reference criteria either. Any cultural impact or influence burned out ages ago.
Shall we then toss out Gulliver's Travels because it's no longer culturally relevant?  Or Uncle Tom's Cabin?  Or The Tale of Genji?

Also even by this standard you've clearly failed to include multiple threads which met the criteria and have arguably contributed far more than the majority of the threads currently in the archive, such as Kazan's being lured into arguing against the Clangers which got referenced for two or three years after, or Goob Hates Us All, which still gets the occasional reference.
In your eagerness to argue, you seem to have failed to notice this.  As for Goob Hates Us All, it's not a deliberate omission, it just didn't occur to me to include it.

There's no policy that says we must keep the Classics either, and HLP has eliminated boards which are not maintained before. If you want to create some random project and just allow it to rapidly die off, well, that's pretty normal around here but it's still a remarkably dick thing to do.

Seriously, the Classics section wouldn't have passed muster as a hosted campaign. It'd be gone by now.
The Classics section isn't a project.  It's an archive.  Generally, archives aren't very active.

Also, HLP hasn't deleted a forum since we moved to SMF.  Most of the inactive projects are still around, just archived and/or invisible.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Of course it makes sense.  Top 10 lists are referenced all over the place, and people are often encouraged to find out more about the things on the list.  Top 25 lists have many more choices to pick from, so that people are less likely to want to see them all.  Top 50 lists are likely to cause a person to say "bleh, can't I just learn about the top few of those?"  And if the Classics board ever gets to two pages, how many people are likely to click over to the second page?

So then, why don't you remove the threads in the Classics that nobody knows or cares about anyway?  Right now the majority of users weren't around for those events, and any sense of "culture" is comlpetely and utterly gone.  Nobody mentions them anymore.  Nobody cares that they exist anymore.  I challenge you to find a single reference to the "Pheropods" thread in the last five years, or how a page and a half of "*beats other poster with <object>*" contributes to HLP in any way, shape, or form anymore.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Vasudan thread has been mentioned several times in the past year, let alone the past five years, and so has the Miss Vasuda Prime picture.  That's not even in contention.

It's valuable to keep those threads around even if most users weren't around for those events, because they present a view of the HLP culture from days past.  For history's sake.

I'm not sure what you mean by "beats other poster with <object>" though.

It's valuable to keep those threads around even if most users weren't around for those events, because they present a view of the HLP culture from days past.  For history's sake.
And Battuta ascends as Planet, HLPX-COM, and a massive teleportation threadnought aren't going to be historically relevant as a snapshot of our current HLP?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken