Author Topic: New installer?  (Read 12357 times)

Offline wesp5

So we better wait for the new installer until trunk is finalized? Will this be anytime soon? Oh, and I forgot one thing to add to vidmaster's list: We mustn't forget to include OpenAL in the installer the same way Diaspora did! And regarding suitable campaigns, I recommend to include MAGs single player missions, because they are so close to the show. I made them 3.6.12 compatible with my patch already and can check them out again with trunk or whatever will be included. I would also like to see the Shadows and Vorlon mini-campaigns included, because they are so special, and I still think we should use the chance to rename the "Earth/Minbari demo campaign" into either "campaign" or "mini-campaign", wherever the difference is seen. The campaign included with Diaspora wasn't much longer and "demo" has a very unfinished sound about it which isn't appropriate for TBP: Zathras Edition 3.5 :)!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
trunk is never "finalized", only branches like 3.6.14 are finalized :)  What I believe Karajorma means is to choose any given revision of trunk that you like and build the executables to ship with TBP from that (which is basically what Diaspora did).  Having said that, 3.6.14 should be finished soon (no really!) and unlike Diaspora, TBP doesn't need any of the new code features added to trunk since 3.6.14 began for it to work, since TBP was originally released on 3.6.9 or 3.6.10? 

Anyway - most important thing is to pick something and then test it thoroughly to see if there are any game breaking code bugs  :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
For historical reasons, I'd suggest going with whatever build Diaspora is currently using once you're ready. That worked out pretty well for you with BtRL and 3.6.9. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
We are currently using 3.6.12 Inferno but FUBAR did create a Zathras 2.1 for 3.6.13 (and .14 therefore.)
The problem is, I do not know the exact differences. Basically, FUBAR was the "development" guy while I created content and managed our external stuff, like the ModDB page or talking to magazine people. I remember there was some discussion about tagging certain weapons as "Swarm" and how it would affect mission balance, plus some debris stuff. FUBAR's absence really bits us in the ass here ;-)

Some people that don't go to IRC don't know it, so it may be better to spell it out loud : .14. is. utterly. outdated now.

You were right, I did not know that.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Hello all,

So did he create the main TBP installer or the DVD version?

DVD version.

Actually I did both  :D

So yeah, when every you guys are ready, I can whip up a new installer for ya.

I've even learned a few new tricks since the last ones.

(btw - what the hell is up with HL? I had a devil of a time getting logged in)

hip63 :P
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What program do you use for the installer out of interest?

Offline wesp5

We are currently using 3.6.12 Inferno but FUBAR did create a Zathras 2.1 for 3.6.13 (and .14 therefore.)

So the question is, what are the changes between 3.6.12 and 3.6.14 and which of them affect TBP?

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
What program do you use for the installer out of interest?

I'm versed in several, just depends on the need.  :)

Most of the time I used Install Creator (used it for what folks call the main installer) but for the DVD I used Installshield.

I've also used a few others from time to time.

Install Creator had issues running from DVD but Installshield did not. However Install Creator is still better for a single file installer than Installshield.

I've also figured out way to use Install Creator with 7zip to make installers will an incredible amount compression to make the download sizes even smaller (depending on file types, ect.) One modding project I worked on had nearly 20 gigs of data that I was able to compress down to 2 gigs in the installer.  :pimp:

hip63 :p
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline Vidmaster

Nice to see you again Hip63 :-)

So the question is, what are the changes between 3.6.12 and 3.6.14 and which of them affect TBP?

Actually, nothing should be affected despite:
- general stability
- more features for fredders
(- there should be a better Launcher right?)

The more interesting question is, what exactly did FUBAR do with the Zathras 2.1 dev update AND are those changes actually working? Said update was FUBAR's thing alone, I do not know what he was improving (I was really busy at that time).
Will go through the files eventually.

What it comes down to is that we need to test the game.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline wesp5

I could test MAGs Star Fury missions with 3.6.14 and Zathras 2.1, I already know them well :)!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
What I really want to do is to clean up the whole TBP installation process. No more countless options, lots of files, Zathras updates, campaigns etc to worry about. I am aiming for a clean and simple release. If one wants more campaigns and stuff, you may always visit the forums but for this release, I would TPB to look the best it can in said release edition.

Second
Same goes for the proposed agenda ...

Hello all,

Welcome back

Okay then,
what *exact* FS_Open build are we talking now?

ps. I'm currently very busy with updating my FS_Open-stuff so I hardly check on HLP forum posts in the moment ... so if you need me to do stuff PM would work, forum post not so much
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:51:28 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Vidmaster

I'd propose waiting for the "final" 3.6.14.

Offline wesp5

I agree. It shouldn't be long as someone here already called 3.6.14 outdated ;). While FUBAR is unreachable, do you have all the Zathras 2.1 assets and could you upload it somewhere, so we can test missions and campains with it and 3.6.14? Also I think all your own campains should be included in the next DVD release for sure. Especially Dark Children :)!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
hip, while we're waiting, have you played Diaspora yet?  If not, go get and play (latest patch is 1.0.3 don't forget), methinks you'll like.  Don't worry, only 6 missions.  :pimp:  At least 11,500 downloads 16 days after release.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Just wondering, is FUBAR really unreachable? He seems to be on the forums fairly often (last online about 6 hours ago) and posted on the forums just yesterday (and also the day before that). So he seems to be around.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Also saw him on IRC chatting with Kara.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Damnit! I forgot to mention VidMaster was looking for him!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Just wondering, is FUBAR really unreachable? He seems to be on the forums fairly often (last online about 6 hours ago) and posted on the forums just yesterday (and also the day before that). So he seems to be around.

You know stalking someone that way is considered impolite ... (and you're not the only one who thought of that)

I'd propose waiting for the "final" 3.6.14.

As much as I hated the way kara said it (sorry, I percived it to be a bit arrogant - I guess it was unintentionally but notheless the tone didn't sit well with me), I've to admit that using the build supplied with Diaspora (for now) was a certain merit to it...

Esspecially since we can't exactly plan with 3.6.14 - it has already been mentioned that attention in the SCP has already shifted away from that and towards continous development of the trunk-branch...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline wesp5

So is Diaspora using 3.6.12 or 3.6.13 and what are the differences and would any of them affect TBP?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
So is Diaspora using 3.6.12 or 3.6.13 and what are the differences and would any of them affect TBP?

3.6.13 is the dev branch for the eventual 3.6.14 release. But this is complicated by the fact that current 3.6.13 builds - including Diaspora's build - are far more advanced than any of the 3.6.14 release candidates, meaning that if 3.6.14 came out right now, it would be way behind the Diaspora build and 3.6.13 as a whole.

At the moment it looks like we may just skip 3.6.14.

The differences are extremely substantial in terms of graphics and performance, as well as the power available to FREDders and modders. I don't know how significant any of them would be on TBP though.

Even the Diaspora build is now technically outdated. Internally I'm sure most high octane projects (Diaspora, BP, BtA, WoD inclusive) are using newer 3.6.13 builds.