Author Topic: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers  (Read 74248 times)

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers
All these ships are awesome, but really!
I'm starting to wonder if they are ever gonna consider how to tackle the 'too many big ships, too few ppl to man them' problem.

It would suck for this game to turn into a 1 vs 1 + tons of stupid npcs.
el hombre vicio...

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Well you have clans in that case, or corps... but yes you can hire NPCs, or even have a successor, or alt character pick up for you.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Not worried about that, I meant what will they do to drag all those backers from their shiny retaliator's captain chair to a lousy turret station on another guy's ship?
el hombre vicio...

Offline Mikes

It would suck for this game to turn into a 1 vs 1 + tons of stupid npcs.

Do you like playing Freespace, War in Heaven, etc? Just wondering... because the if answer is yes... then why are you even worrying about it?

Frankly...   just Freespace as it is, with the option of having a coop buddy join on any mission and maybe even encountering the occasional Ace that is played by another human player would be awesome, if you ask me.
I frankly don't get that MMO born fetishism that everything and anything "has" to be run by players and don't you dare ever use an NPC for anything ... I've seen what THAT usually turns into and it's pretty much the opposite of what I would call "immersive".

By and large ... way too many people behave like childish d***s, due to the anonymity of the Internet. Unless you want to simulate a galaxy where every other person is a childish d***, that's not a good basis to build an immersive game on. ;)

The way SC intends to handle that issue is actually one of the biggest selling points in my eyes: I.e. an actual simulation focusing on the personal experience within a multi planet society with billions of people (taken into account when simulating the economy even) ... some of them just happen to be players. ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 07:26:18 am by Mikes »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah. Consider that the population of a future interstellar society would be much higher than Earth's today. Even if you somehow got all the Chinamen to play SC, you'd still be unable to avoid NPC AI completely. SC, with it's complex simulation, would be unable to force one carrier to be crewed by thousands of actual people, doing small, but boring jobs involved in running it. Personally, I'd be OK with a singleplayer game with such complexity, as long as the AI doesn't suck (a big request, granted, but I hope they can pullt if off).

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
"Hi, I'm Jeremy Young, Chief Engineer in charge of maintaining the coolant lines and heat sinks aboard the HMS Valiant."
"So what does that mean in-game?"
"Repeatedly connecting two valves with pipes before time runs out for 14 hours a day."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not worried about that, I meant what will they do to drag all those backers from their shiny retaliator's captain chair to a lousy turret station on another guy's ship?

Nothing? I mean, that's what hireable NPCs are for.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Nothing against NPC's, they will be needed to populate the universe alright.
What I'm saying is that there's no real value for a player as it stands now to do some kind of colaborative gamplay, everyone will just aim to get their Bengal carrier right from the start cause 'that's what a good player should do'.
So every other role in the game for which SC is creating content is automatically turned into a waste of time (from the player's pov).

el hombre vicio...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So every other role in the game for which SC is creating content is automatically turned into a waste of time (from the player's pov).

I take it you've never worked to get a Titan in EVE or for that matter realized that actually getting a Titan is one of the most reliable indicators in the world that a player will quit the game within six months.

If you approach it from this perspective as the endgame, then chances are you will, perforce, very quickly end the game once you get there. The problem is self-correcting; in the meantime we can fleece them for money.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Also there's like half a dozen Bengal carriers existing in the PU. Just sayin'

Also, carriers are lame. Can't dogfight for ****. And not even a big fat beam to compensate.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Nah, never even played EVE as a mater of fact.
el hombre vicio...

Putting in a whole system for player controlled turrets with modelled seats etc seems entirely consistent with RSI's 'detail first, gameplay later' design philosophy.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

Kinda hard to design gameplay without ships to fly.

Dogfight module is happening in a few months anyway.  That's when we'll see meaningful gameplay development.

They could just have used dummy models to develop the dogfighting; or just have designed the ships in a way that doesn't seem completely blind to the systems of the game they're planning on making.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mikes

Nothing against NPC's, they will be needed to populate the universe alright.
What I'm saying is that there's no real value for a player as it stands now to do some kind of colaborative gamplay, everyone will just aim to get their Bengal carrier right from the start cause 'that's what a good player should do'.

A big reason why MMOs are structured the way they are structured is that gameplay takes a backseat to monetization.

The hope with a fully crowdfunded game we may finally see a developer that puts gameplay first... and, with no publishers or investors to breath down their necks, maintain integrity over the years.

One might argue that we already had such a developer with ArenaNet ... but that's about it, had, past tense. Thanks NCSoft.

Moral of the story... the usual MMO tropes will (hopefully) not even be applicable.
Flying around in a Capital Ship or even Bomber...  in a skillbased *dogfighting game* is certainly not gonna be "endgame" ... rather I would argue that *endgame* itself is one of those tropes one should forget about.
ArenaNet already has shown one option of how to do that for a fantasy RPG in their first game. Too bad the 2nd is turning out so differently.

Let's hope Chris Roberts can get it right for a Space Sim game... i certainly do wish him the best of luck.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:54:11 pm by Mikes »

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Does anyone else want to do this contest? PM or email me. invertedvantage at gmail.

Looking for modelers or (especially) game integration people.

Offline Mikes

I've been toying with the thought of getting into modeling for years with work always getting in the way ... and now I wish I had given it a serious shot and wasn't a completely clueless :P

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
Clueless in a 14yr old game's community is having an advantage in a -2yr old one. This is a fantastic time to start learning.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Welp. I just gave up and tripled my pledge to get me a shiny Supar. When I saw it had milspec max powerplant and that the second seat could be used to carry prisoners, I was sold.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I've been toying with the thought of getting into modeling for years with work always getting in the way ... and now I wish I had given it a serious shot and wasn't a completely clueless :P

If you want to learn, you're in the right place.  There are plenty of people here who can and will help you.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that