Author Topic: Sorry, noob questions  (Read 1739 times)

Just getting started here.  Is there a difference between FreeSpace Open and FreeSpace Port?
I installed fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF.exe and MediaVPs_3612, and everything seems to be working, but what about the stuff on the FreeSpace Port site, like sparky_hi_fs1 and fsport-hi_res, etc?  Can I install these too?  Where do they go?  I bit overwhelmed by all the information sources.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Follow the FSPort install directions here

And,

:welcome:

Thanks, that helped a lot.  I think I have everything working, and it's awesome!  I have a couple of other questions.

The flight hanger deck seems like the original low-res one.  Has this been upgraded too?  If so, how do I get that?
On the page you linked to, it says the Media VPs are at version 3.6.13, but everywhere else it says 3.6.12, including FSO.  Do I use the .13 VPs with the .12 FSO?

Thanks for your help!

The flight hanger deck seems like the original low-res one.  Has this been upgraded too?  If so, how do I get that?
Improved mainhalls are in progress, see this thread. Although we're still stuck at 1024x768 resolutions sue to code limitations, we did get rid of retail's 256-colour limit, so you should find these mainhalls a huge improvement already.

On the page you linked to, it says the Media VPs are at version 3.6.13, but everywhere else it says 3.6.12, including FSO.  Do I use the .13 VPs with the .12 FSO?
Odd-numbered releases are internal, alpha and beta releases; the true stable public releases are even-numbered. The 3.6.12 MediaVPs are the latest released version; 3.6.13 refers to the work in progress of the next MVP release. Some individual assets (mainly models) from these have been released, but the actual 3.6.13 pack is not publicly available.

Offline Yarn

Odd-numbered releases are internal, alpha and beta releases; the true stable public releases are even-numbered. The 3.6.12 MediaVPs are the latest released version; 3.6.13 refers to the work in progress of the next MVP release. Some individual assets (mainly models) from these have been released, but the actual 3.6.13 pack is not publicly available.
I think he was referring to the FSPort MediaVPs, which is at 3.6.13 right now. It should work with FSO 3.6.12.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Great, thanks!