Author Topic: HLP Productions Presents: FTL!  (Read 35636 times)

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Re: HLP Productions Presents: FTL!
I sign up as Winston Churchill's Shivan cousin.

Give me crumpets and teas, and I will make sure that your guns never falter.  :yes:

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Once you require a new Egni-crewmember sign me in...

@DireWolf: Already spotted and discussed at the end the ToEE LP...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Captain's Log, Stardate 12915.4

As an officer of the Federation, it is beyond the scope of my duties to criticize my government and my superiors for the situation in which I find myself.  However, it is difficult, very difficult, when I am assigned to a ship that would better serve the Federation as scrap, and a crew that would be most useful scrubbing floors on my last command.

Not all is ill news.  On this crew's "maiden voyage", the ship and crew performed admirably, well above and beyond what I expected from such a ragtag group.  The Indus encountered a pirate engaging a helpless ship.  Despite my better judgement, I ordered my gunnery officer, a strange fellow who calls himself by a combination of seemingly random numbers and letters, to engage the pirate.  A few short bursts from the main gun were all that were required to destroy the enemy.  In return, the ship we had just saved, in addition to the parts left drifting by the pirate ship's corpse, agreed to delay the fleet pursuing us.  A very successful first engagement, all things considered.

Before we could escape, we were spotted by a rebel fighter.  A small nuisance, to be sure, but this nuisance managed to inflict meaningful damage to the Indus.  I'm not quite sure of the extent of the damage, but I was able to jury rig a solution enough to get the damaged components back on-line for the battle.  More detailed diagnostics will be required as soon as we have a few spare minutes.  The enemy fighter was easily dispatched, though it did offer to surrender.  The risk was too great.  I must ensure that the fleet following us gets no better idea of where the Indus is headed than is possible.

The Indus is currently en route to a new, unexplored system.  We can only hope that more beneficial encounters await us there.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The crew inquires about mercenary work, but finds that their ship is ill-equipped for anything except the complete destruction of other vessels.

This system also appears to be the seedy underbelly of the sector!

The slaver’s request is met with laser fire.

Beam fire begins to slash through the Indus’ shield array, but suddenly stops as a well-timed laser blast hits the slaver ship.

Much to the crew’s dismay, the slavers manage to get their laser cannon working.  However, the Indus’ shields come back up just in time…

The artillery peashooter finally comes online, tearing a path through the enemy’s life support and shields before igniting the fuel reserves.

The slaver’s reinforced hull manages to keep their ship intact, but does nothing to protect against the final laser salvo.

By the way, the entire NTF Armada has started to enter the system.  Scotty flies the Indus into the nebula in order to buy time.

The Indus jumps right into a fierce plasma storm.  Electronics malfunction and short out.  The sensor system glitch like crazy to the point where they can’t even be used to see inside one’s own vessel.  The crew is forced to bring the reactor to half power.

Also, the NTF have a ship waiting for us here.

…Okay, that’s an attack drone.  It can’t really get through shields on its own, but will tear apart any unshielded ship.

The engines and life support systems have to be taken entirely offline to conserve precious power.  All energy is re-routed into shields and guns.

At this point the crew realizes that the rebel ship is armed with a missile launcher, which pierces through shields.  A loud explosion is heard in the starboard side of the ship, and we can’t even get a proper damage report.

The unshielded NTF ship, of course, is equally vulnerable to our own weapons.  The rebel diverts power to shields once weapons go offline.

Not being able to get an accurate damage assessment, the crew just assumes the worse and vents the starboard side of the ship into space.

That’s a lot of missiles offered.  The crew decides to accept the surrender.  Now bring that life support back online before we all asphyxiate.

Scotty inspects the damage the missile did.  No fires or hull breaches, thankfully.  Just a distinct lack of breathable air that necessitates a trip to the medbay.

The next part of the nebula will hopefully be calmer then this one…

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 11:37:24 am by Alex Heartnet »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Captain's Log, Supplemental

A quick engagement with a slaver ship has left us with quite the surplus of supplies, should we ever find a place to actually use them or trade for something else.  Unfortunately, the rebel fleet has tracked us quicker than I anticipated, forcing a jump into a nebula in an attempt to escape.

The nebula necessitates several unfortunate measures to conserve power.  The power supply was halved, in part to reduce our sensor signature, and in part to give the system a small respite from constant full.  Had I known there was a rebel scout in the nebula, I'd have kept engines online to avoid their missiles, though I must admit I don't know what I'd have shut down in their stead.  This ship I allowed to escape, in exchange for more supplies, including quite the bounty of missiles.  I'm confident that the enemy fleet will be unable to track us, and the intelligence of a lone, crippled scout won't change that much.

The Indus took some damage in the last scuffle, thankfully not enough to meaningfully hinder her combat abilities.  I foolishly set foot in the damaged section unprepared, and required a trip to medbay for trying to suck vaccuum for a few seconds.  With any luck, the next section of nebula will be less... interesting.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I've no idea what this game's about but I demand humancy and a senior position!! With sexy humorous plotlines and comedic twists :/
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Sure, you can hit on the invertebrate slug women. :p
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I've no idea what this game's about but I demand humancy and a senior position!! With sexy humorous plotlines and comedic twists :/
officially it's a rogue'alike (read rudimentary RPG) game where you have to cross a number of sectors with a message without getting smoked.  also being Rogue'alike it is highly likely that some random encounter will overpower your ship and you will have to start the game again
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
officially it's a rogue'alike (read rudimentary RPG) game where you have to cross a number of sectors with a message without getting smoked.  also being Rogue'alike it is highly likely that some random encounter will overpower your ship and you will have to start the game again
The thing with roguelikes is that more often then not, there was a decision you could of made at some point that would of saved you.  If you actually remember to use EVERY resource at your disposal, you will probably do well.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
The thing with roguelikes is that more often then not, there was a decision you could of made at some point that would of saved you.  If you actually remember to use EVERY resource at your disposal, you will probably do well.

Darwin on stimulants?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
When a space opens up, I wish to be a Mantis security officer (chief, preferably :P). 
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Patriot

Zoltan engineering officer please, since we need power, having a crew member providing it in part is handy stuff :D

Or you can hook him up to the giant pea shooter and make it a giant peaNUT shooter :D

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Just managed to actually beat the endgame - Engi cruiser ftw.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The Indus nearly gets lost in the nebula chasing ghosts.

Rebel scouts are fun.  This one is actively trying to get away!

A laser salvo is aimed at the bridge as the Indus gets torn apart by yet more beam cannon fire.

The scout ship manages to get the bridge systems working again just in time to see the engines brought offline.

As usual, the finishing blow comes from the artillery beam.

The Indus takes a roundabout course towards the beacon.  The idea is that maximizing the amount of time spent in relatively easy sector 1 will mean more supplies for use later on.

I’m going to hazard a guess that the data within the auto-scout consists of detailed information about the sector.  This would be useful to have early on, but at this point we are headed towards the sector exit anyway, so it won’t be of much help.

Let’s jump back into the nebula.  That sounds sensible.

Oohh, weapon!  We will need to upgrade our weapon and reactor systems before we can fire both guns at the same time, but this will be nice to have for later and was definitely worth the hull damage.

Intruder detected in the sensor array!  All hands stand by to repel boarders!

SpardaSon and Z64555 are closest, so they get to exchange blaster fire with the vicious cold-blooded enemy.

The intruder has been dispatched.  Z64555 heads straight for the medbay.

Rather then trying to flee, the Mantis Scout fights to the bitter end.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Gunnery Control Log:
Reporting Officer: z64555
Ship status:
Hull Integrity: 70%
Systems:  90% and climbing

Everything seems fine, even after that little skirmish with the "warrior." Why he picks on the Engi instead of one of the tougher guys, I don't know. Going to ask the Captain to see if we can upgrade our blasters for something more effective, or at least find a way so that they can't get in anymore.

Also gotta double check that dang medibay, the robotic motivator systems don't seem to be fully optimized.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Put me in the queue for next available Engine room/damage control guy. Engi if possible, anything else otherwise. And yes I'm willing to wait for the next (or next-next) crew.

Spoiler:
Because I started playing this game, and I'll say that you're likely to party wipe multiple times.

Offline crizza

Nice one Alex, buying now^^

Well, maybe someone can lend a hand...
How much drone parts do I need to actually use one?
And when upgrading the...engines, at some point it says "System Upgrade required"...uh? And how do I do this?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:24:55 am by crizza »

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Nice one Alex, buying now^^

Well, maybe someone can lend a hand...
How much drone parts do I need to actually use one?
And when upgrading the...engines, at some point it says "System Upgrade required"...uh? And how do I do this?

Using a drone requires one drone part.

A few drone types, such as sys repair and anti-personnel drones stay aboard your ship when deactivated.  They will park themselves in your drone bay when idle and get repaired there as if it was a medbay.

Most drones, however, operate outside the ship.  These are left behind when you jump out unless you are lucky enough to have a drone recovery arm on your ship.  Boarding drones tend to go down with the enemy ship and thus can never be recovered.

Also, could you be more specific with your system upgrade problem?  You sure you aren't trying to upgrade the shields and not your engines?  Shield upgrades need to be taken in pairs to be useful - it takes 2 energy bars per shield layer, and the game won't let you have half a shield because of how damage is calculated.

Being successful at roguelikes requires a certain ability to figure things out for yourself.  The tutorial only explains the bare basics - there are still a lot of things to discover about the game.

-snip-
Because I started playing this game, and I'll say that you're likely to party wipe multiple times.

This isn't really a spoiler by the way - it's an important thing to know about roguelikes :P
I'm currently playing this on normal, because I know I will stand a very real chance of actually beating it on easy, and that's no fun.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:20:25 am by Alex Heartnet »

Offline crizza

Ah, the thing about the shields did the trick...
Thx, now I can use these large amounts of scraps for usefull things.
And I figured the drone workings out myself, but thx for that too.
I'll go most of the time for anti boarding drones or repair drones.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Keep in mind that using drones requires power that might be needed for other systems.  If you have a large crew that sits idle most of the time, the sys repair drone might not be needed.

On the flip side, I've seen LPers do stuff like tossing out that anti-personnel drone when they have a crew that consists of Zoltons and Engis.  It's a tradeoff - you have to consider the opportunity cost of replacing one type of drone with another.