Author Topic: help with mission designing.  (Read 1997 times)

help with mission designing.
Hi all,
I really loved R1, so I started making missions with FRED.
The beginning was really hard and I had no idea how to use the events, but I've got them working now  :D.
The only problem I have, is that I have no files in most of my maps, so I can't select skybox models, sounds or soundtracks. (So I can't do a proper jump or simple skybox) How can I use those? I've seen other 3th party fredders use soundtracks (cylonRaid).

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Re: help with mission designing.
Hi all,
I really loved R1, so I started making missions with FRED.
The beginning was really hard and I had no idea how to use the events, but I've got them working now  :D.
The only problem I have, is that I have no files in most of my maps, so I can't select skybox models, sounds or soundtracks. (So I can't do a proper jump or simple skybox) How can I use those? I've seen other 3th party fredders use soundtracks (cylonRaid).

In FRED, click on "Help" then "helptopics".
Then select "Resourcelist", choose a Skybox you like, copy the name (e.g. "SkyBox_Aerilon_01.pof"), then open the Background editor in FRED, and paste the name in the skybox field.

For sounds: in FRED, go to "Mission Specs", then choose a Musicfile from the dropdown list.

...and what do you mean with you have no files in your maps?

In FRED, click on "Help" then "helptopics".
Then select "Resourcelist", choose a Skybox you like, copy the name (e.g. "SkyBox_Aerilon_01.pof"), then open the Background editor in FRED, and paste the name in the skybox field.

For sounds: in FRED, go to "Mission Specs", then choose a Musicfile from the dropdown list.

...and what do you mean with you have no files in your maps?

Thanks for the fast responce! I got it working now :). Will post the mission soon.

I mean that when I browse my folders all maps are empty except freddocs, missions and movies.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That's the way it's meant to be. Everything is in the .vp files. BTW, while you're looking at the help, have you tried doing the walkthrough? You should have had little trouble figuring out events if you've done that. If you haven't, do it now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

That's the way it's meant to be. Everything is in the .vp files. BTW, while you're looking at the help, have you tried doing the walkthrough? You should have had little trouble figuring out events if you've done that. If you haven't, do it now.

I did read it, but in the mission editor itself I just wasn't looking in the right places. I get it now :)