Author Topic: PC Gamer Reinstall: FreeSpace 2 - 18 months late internet version  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Enzo03

PC Gamer Reinstall: FreeSpace 2 - 18 months late internet version
edit:  :mad:
Reinstall: FreeSpace 2

It’s been nearly a decade since anyone released a decent PC space combat game. The masses of overlooked, under-appreciated space shooter fans and I are still pissed about it (though at least Chris Roberts has given us something to look forward to). Some of us may own boxed retail copies of the ’90s classics, but getting them up and running on modern Windows PC environments takes more effort than it’s worth. We wanna toast alien fighters with plasma weapons and missiles, not barrel-roll into subdirectories to apply patches or edit config files.

Thankfully, we’re all just a cheap GOG download away from enjoying one of the best space shooters of all time. FreeSpace 2 earned well-deserved raves following its 1999 release for its rich graphics, compelling storyline, and deep career mode. From its opening training missions to its later multi-ship furballs, the game delivered everything space combat fans could ask for. In fact, FS2’s multi-stage missions, eyebrow-singing pyrotechnics, superb wingman support, mappable joystick controls, and engrossing zero-gravity combat took me on a lengthy deep-space ride that I never wanted to return from.

Pre-flight check

Downloading and installing FreeSpace 2 from GOG took less than 30 minutes. The part that really brought a smile to my face was visiting the options screen to max out every single graphics setting (gotta love those 1024×768 32-bit color classics—my Radeon HD 5870 barely knows there’s a game running). Of course, the real fun came once I got into the meat of the campaign and started opening up on some Shivan fighters and armed-to-the-teeth capital ships.

Before I made that leap, however, I took advantage of one of PC gaming’s most impressive modding communities and visited the home page for the FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project. Born from a desire to keep the FreeSpace game engine alive and healthy, Volition publicly released the FS2source code in 2002 after a THQ buyout stripped the Illinois-based developer of its license to continue the series. Some forward-thinking modders immediately jumped on this windfall and picked up where Volition left off, unifying all future third-party development under one community to ensure parity and quality for years to come.

After downloading and installing a single executable, FreeSpace 2 OpenInstaller, you not only get the simulation’s latest gameplay enhancements, you get a space shooter that looks surprisingly comfortable on modern PCs. Once configured properly—you can adjust the game to support widescreen displays, anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering—you get a sharp-looking and clean-burning intergalactic romp that never dips below 60 fps. There’s an enormous amount of stuff here, but you can simplify the procedure by reading The Idiot’s Guide to FreeSpace 2 Open for tips on maximizing the mod’s myriad enhancements.

More at: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/22/reinstall-freespace-2/
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 02:31:45 pm by Enzo03 »
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: PC Gamer Reinstall: FreeSpace 2
Way cool.

But OH NOES! They linked to the old FSO installer... :( GAH GAH GAH. Wish we had that new one ready... :/
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
That article is from the July 2011 issue. Does it normally take 18 months for a PC Gamer article to become available on their website for free? :confused:

EDIT: As for the installer, the article also says:
There’s an enormous amount of stuff here, but you can simplify the procedure by reading The Idiot’s Guide to FreeSpace 2 Open for tips on maximizing the mod’s myriad enhancements.
and the guide says in big letters to install manually. So not quite all is lost.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:42:22 pm by jg18 »

Offline Enzo03

From July 2011?

Wtf.

The Wing Commander II Reinstall from the January 2013 issue is already on there.  Seriously?
21:20:19   SpardaSon21: "hey baby, want to get a good look at my AC/20?
21:20:26   Spoon: I'd hit it like the fist of steiner

Some people are like Slinkies.  They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: PC Gamer Reinstall: FreeSpace 2 - 18 months late internet version
Maybe they only recently decided to put up all the old Reinstall articles.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
This is good though. Hell, might remind a few people who saw it before but never got around to acting on it.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
More publicity for FS2 and the genre? I'll take it!

More publicity for FS2 and the genre? I'll take it!
Good point. Never enough of that if SCP is to outlive another several dozen commercially successful games. :P
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.