Author Topic: A Slower Speed of Light  (Read 3292 times)

Offline watsisname

Re: A Slower Speed of Light
On another note: when I move, distances should contract, so shouldn't you move "quicker" (the world look smaller) as you go?

Aye, it does show length contraction (and time dilation, too), but they are not as apparent as the Doppler or searchlight effects until you get to much higher fractions of c.  The world doesn't exactly look 'smaller' with length contraction because aberration brings more of it into view and concentrates things toward the center.  That's why objects seem to suddenly get farther away as you accelerate, and things behind your field of vision are brought into view.  The aberration effect is best seen if you accelerate sideways.

Time dilation was very hard for me to notice until I had at least 90 orbs, and compared the speed at which the villagers were moving when I was going right at them vs. going directly away.  Of course, with such high Doppler shift they become invisible when you move away from them, so I had to look at their silhouettes against the giant glowing mushrooms.

Once you collect the 100th orb your speed goes muuuch closer to c and the game only renders the Lorentz transformations.  The length contraction is very obvious at that point -- once you accelerate to full running speed you'll clear the map almost immediately.  Wheeeeeeeee!
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Uh, moving directly towards/away from a villager will also speed or slow their apparent movement due to light lag; to only see the Lorenz dilation I think you'd have to move sideways. Or better still, have a clock somewhere in the map.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Will have to try this out.  :yes:

Offline watsisname

@Phantom
Whoops, you're right.  Time dilation is independent of the direction of motion; I was speaking of light lag.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

You can't actually see Lorentz contraction, anyway, due to those same light travel time effects.  If you look at the distance between the two legs of those gate thingies as you zoom past, you'll notice that it never changes no matter how fast you're going.  What you get instead is rotation, distortion, and a change in position due to the aberration of light.  Objects ahead of you appear to elongate, while objects behind you appear to contract (this is why everything seems to get farther away as you accelerate forward, but much closer if you look behind you after gathering the 100th orb).

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I got stuck in a fence :(

Offline Davros

Dont you know light travels in pickets