Author Topic: Must-haves?  (Read 7007 times)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
If you ever decide to dabble in strategy games, I recommend you pick up a game from the Total War series.  I've only played Rome Total War, and I've heard some aren't as good as that one is.  But a short campaign with the computer micromanaging cities for you can be a lot of fun.  It's like being a general without having to be the recruitment office, which many games force you to do.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Crysis and Crysis Warhead are must haves for any FPS player.  I recommend Far Cry also for historical value.  Remember it was released in 2004 when you play it and hopefully you'll get at least some sense of just how incredible it was.  Crysis 2 was decent enough as a standalone shooter, but pretty far from a must-have, and really isn't much in line with 1 or Warhead.  The nanosuit (in name) and prophet are really the only connections to the original.  I haven't played 3 due to origin and the reviews stating single player was extremely short.

Also must-play is the first F.E.A.R., unless you don't like horror games.  I liked the expansions for the original in that they just gave more of the original gameplay and atmosphere.  Extraction Point has what I think is the best scare sequence in the series.  The stories are crappy though, and in fact were removed from canon.  Not that matters much anyway, because like Crysis, FEAR 2 and 3 are decent enough shooters (2 a little less so) but pretty much sequels in name only.  Come to think of it, I never even did return to 3 and replay as Fettel. 

If you like the third person shooter/rpg hybrid type games, Red Faction Guerrilla and Mass Effect are great.  I think pretty much the rest of the world would disagree, but I think ME1 is miles better than 2 and 3.  It's a little rougher on the edges, and if you don't like repetitive grindyness (I don't mind, and even kindof like it) you'll probably hate the side quests, but I like the gameplay mechanics soooooooooo much more than what they were changed to, and again it's a lot more atmospheric.  2 and 3 I played more for story and completion than gameplay. 

The STALKER series is another great FPS/RPG hybrid, although as stated before they are REALLY buggy and pretty poorly performing, requiring mods/user bugfixes to really play right.  Once again I find myself saying the original Shadow of Chernobyl is the best for atmosphere and story, but the gap is actually quite small this time to the sequels.  There were some pretty neat mechanics added in Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat to make up for it though.  And just because it needs to be said again, for the love of god don't try to play these without bug fixes.  SoC could be played first time with the Complete mod without changing the core of the game too much and it includes all the bug fixes, but I did find some parts of it undesirable.  For example it made nighttime pitch ****ing black and pretty much unplayable without a night vision upgrade.  Some of it's changed effects I also didn't like compared to the original, but all in all it stayed pretty well true.  If you're not a stickler for "the way it was meant to be" you should probably just skip playing through vanilla.  For Clear Sky and CoP though, the Complete mod is inadvisable.

I know you said you're not really into strategy, and I'm not too big on it either if I'm honest, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't say I thought Command and Conquer was a must play.  Particularly Tiberian Sun through 3/Kane's Wrath.  Because everyone knows that's the last one that existed.  I find the very early ones tedious to get through, but I played them once.  But you get them anyway if you pick up The First Decade pack, and then all you need is 3/Kane's Wrath.

Also in my library that is certainly worth playing is Bioshock, though I can't really call them MUST plays.  Good gameplay and environment, not fantastic story.  Infinite's was actually pretty annoying and nonsensical.  I again got the feeling that Infinite wasn't really in the same series as 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 10:21:39 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
The Knights of the Old Republic games are excellent. The first reminds you what it's like to be in a sweeping Star Wars space opera. The second takes that and grinds it into tiny pieces to make you question everything. There's a bit of patching involved if you want to play KotOR2 at its best, but it is well and truly worth it.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i've had the first one installed for some time now.  yet to even run it. :/
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Crysis 1. I didn't personally like 2 or 3.

World of Tanks. Can be fun when it isnt' grindy.

Fort Zombie. Deep and fun, but graphics are nothing to write home about.

Drakensang - beautifull RPG. Drakensang: The River of Time is even better.

Tehre are good indy title to play
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Journey for PS3

It's short, but a great experience

EDIT: And obviously not for PC which was ultimately the point which I completely missed somehow
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:33:59 pm by deathfun »
"No"

Offline Mikes

Crysis and Crysis Warhead are must haves for any FPS player.  I recommend Far Cry also for historical value.  Remember it was released in 2004 when you play it and hopefully you'll get at least some sense of just how incredible it was.  Crysis 2 was decent enough as a standalone shooter, but pretty far from a must-have, and really isn't much in line with 1 or Warhead.  The nanosuit (in name) and prophet are really the only connections to the original.  I haven't played 3 due to origin and the reviews stating single player was extremely short.

Heard the same thing about Crysis 3 but am really enjoying playing it right now..... gets points for having a story that dabbles with posthumanism and being overall thoroughly enjoyable.

Gameplay / Levels are not as open as Crysis 1 used to be ... but way more open than Crysis 2 and a quite large open area with multiple objectives later on....  and it works well for the structure of the story.

Spoiler:
Also the fact that Prophet/The Suit kind of ate the protagonist of Crysis 2 who jumped into that suit. ;)

In any case... I'm quite surprised, after the reviews, how much there is to the game, now that I am playing it - especially after the snoozefest that was Crysis 2.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:25:01 am by Mikes »

Offline Lorric

I've only played Rome Total War
Good. It's the best one.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Good. It's the best one.

That brings up the question, is Rome Total War a must-have, or is gameplay similar enough that one should go for Rome II first?
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline Lorric

Good. It's the best one.

That brings up the question, is Rome Total War a must-have, or is gameplay similar enough that one should go for Rome II first?
There was talk on here that Rome II is... bad.

These games always take a very long time to get bugs fixed, if they actually do, and there were other problems with it.

Get Rome. If you don't like it, you know you don't have to bother with any of these games. It's dirt cheap these days. There are excellent deals for Rome and it's two expansions dirt cheap also.

As for serious games: I heartily recommend Spec Ops: The Line (but beware that this is the amateur game designer/storyteller in me speaking, I like it because it deconstructs the plots and tropes of the modern military shooter, not so much because of its gameplay)

Youa re not really supposed to enjoy the gameplay ;)

Offline Veers

As Nakura mentioned with Arma,

ArmA is mostly the only game I play regularly, for multiplayer and it's editor. It's an interesting game, but is a Military Simulation. Unlike Battlefield or CoD though, which are FPS, ArmA aims to be more 'realistic', it also has a learning curve.

Not an overly difficult one I'd say, just unforgiving. As nearly every key on your keyboard is bound to something. ArmA 3 was released this year, and compared to ArmA 2's release. It's rather solid and definitely takes the game to new heights.

But you do need to be playing it in Multiplayer, I play Vanilla with a clan, but there are other game types out there. Such as Wastelands (post-apocalyptic) and DayZ (Zombies.. don't think they've released it for A3 yet though).

Otherwise, get used to taking a bullet and not getting back up again :)

Edit: Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (1&2) were very good, if not getting a tad older now. Fallout is great, I first played 3 and have 1&2 here to play. Just have not had a chance. Other than ArmA and any FreeSpace-based game. I don't play much more, into Simulators and well... lets not comment on them.

Plenty of great options mentioned though!
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
System Shock 2 is a must play.  BioShock and Bioshock Infinite are its spiritual successors and also well worth playing (though BioShock 2 should only be picked up if on sale for less than $5).

The Half-Life and Portal series should be played in order.

The Deus Ex series should be played as follows:  Deus Ex, Human Revolution DC, Invisible War (which is not terrible, just nowhere near the quality of the other two).

A glaring omission from your list is Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel.

And the Mass Effect trilogy.

And Dragon Age:  Origins Ultimate Edition, though be prepared to lose over a hundred hours of your life if you really get into it.

If you don't ordinarily care for strategy games, I still recommend Company of Heroes because it is nothing like a traditional RTS.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:11:51 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Loyalties demand that I highly recommend the Descent series, or at the very least the original.