Author Topic: Help request with mission editor " modify-variable SEXP"  (Read 1790 times)

Help request with mission editor " modify-variable SEXP"
I am starting out ne to using Fred with Diaspord. I used the Extended walkthrough help guide included. I followed the example mission step by step, however i have run into an error when setting up the Jumpout countdown. The error tells me that. If it is not too much trouble could someone with knowledge provide the steps to enter the jumpout countdown section in the events properly?. This will help me better understand the use of the modify-variable  It is under the Extended Walkthrough section of the Fred help file. Thanks in advance.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Help request with mission editor " modify-variable SEXP"
Hmmmm. Not sure what's giving you problems, but I'll tell you what you're supposed to do.

1) You need to add the JumpCountdown variable. Rightclick to get the popup menu and choose Add Variable. Add a new variable called JumpCountdown. Set the Default Value to 60.
2) Add the Jumpout Countdown event.
3) Add the training message SEXP.
4) Select the When SEXP and rightclick then choose Add Operator and modify-variable from the Change menu.
5) If the variable shown isn't JumpCountdown, right click on the variable and choose Replace Variable.
6) Choose the second argument in modify-variable and Replace Argument from the right click menu, change it to the minus operator.
7) Right click on the first argument of the - operator and again rightclick -> Replace Variable. Choose JumpCountdown.
8) Change the second argument to 1.

That should be all you need to do.

Please tell me where you got stuck by the way. I wrote that document and if it's not clear enough, I'd like to improve that. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks karajorma,
       Following your sequence seemed to work. The problem i was having is after i set the strings and saved id get an error message about the jumpoutCountdown(60). so id go back in to the event editor and i would find above the string jumpoutCountdown(60) would be a string with just red (). In your worded instructions if you change up the wording  similar as to what you posted for me i think that would clarify for others, One more note if i may..On the adding fighters section on the arrival queue for Kilo "25 seconds after Ion and Jack are destroyed but only if Basestar 3 hasn't been destroyed" How would you set that situation? I have a little trouble with if basestar3 hasn't been destroyed. I am also wanting to create some missions that include tube launches working with ship etc like battlestar speed = zero until vipers are launched from tubes then allow the battlestar to move. I know if you launch while the ship is moving you would be like a pinball in the tube. Any help on tube launches would be awesome. Thanks again for your reply

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Off the top of my head (since I can't look at the docs at the moment)

when
-and
--is-destroyed-delay
---Ion
---Jack
--not
---is-destroyed-delay
----Basestar 3

should do it. As for tube launches, check the Developer Blog section of this forum. Ace wrote a tutorial on how to do them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]