Author Topic: [RELEASE] Evacuation of Alpha Draconis Campaign Demo V1.01  (Read 27476 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Lorric's Teaser - Evacuation of Alpha Draconis Campaign
Don't use forum attachments, they don't last very long before they get auto deleted. Use a file host like mediafire.
That way you can keep things in a single thread too.

I certainly will if I finish this. Don't worry, I don't plan on cluttering up your page with threads as I complete missions. I intend on finishing the campaign. The most I'll do is put more in my second thread, where there's room. I don't want to release anything past mission 5 until it is finished.

I don't know how long the attachments last exactly, but hopefully anyone who wants them will have grabbed them by the time they disappear.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They may last a week. They may last an hour. It is basically impossible to tell.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
IIRC, They last as long as there's space in the HLP forum storage. Admins should know how much is left, so if you really want an estimate, try catching one on IRC. Though this would still be little better than a guess, just use Mediafire.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
but no one's making anything for WoD save Spoon anyway

Aside from Legate's reputed project of dubious intent of which nothing tangible has ever been seen from, there is this. Which I hope is still alive (Deadly in a Shadow if you're still there say hi, please) :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lorric

Aside from Legate's reputed project of dubious intent of which nothing tangible has ever been seen from, there is this. Which I hope is still alive (Deadly in a Shadow if you're still there say hi, please) :P

Ooooh, that looks nice. No news on it in almost a year though. I wonder why it wasn't put here in the WoD folder.

Offline Droid803

Also FYI you can add attachments without starting a new thread.
But still don't use attachments, for small files like this I like to use DropBox when SVN isn't available, though MediaFire is also a solid choice.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!

Hey I released a demo and I told my entire plot to mobcdmoc3 and he said it was good.

Offline Lorric

Damar. I know how you feel.

So where's the demo? It's not that thing under Cardassia forever, is it?

I see you there, Spoon.

Go on. Take the missions. You know you want to...   :D

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
I released it a while ago... the download link might be expired.

Offline Droid803

I released it a while ago... the download link might be expired.

If you used forum attachments, this is a good reason why you shouldn't be.
Either way if you have it on a stable file hosting service (MediaFire, Dropbox), you wouldn't have this problem! :P
(´・ω・`)

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
I think I used a hosting service.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
Lorric your missions are not working. At first they downloaded as just "files" (not fs2 files) so I changed the file extension to fs2 but when I tried to open the single missions part in the tech room the game crashed with an error saying the required token was #mission info but it found []

Offline Lorric

That's odd. I just grabbed one and it worked for me. It recognised the file too when the download box came up with the freespace logo.

It did curiously come out as "Lorric+0" instead of "Lorric 0", but that just made it easier for me to test. I know it wasn't just my own mission, because the Freespace logo is in the command briefings for these links, and I've since cleaned that minor problem up.

Offline Lorric

I've attached a couple of little screenies showing what the download box looks like, and missions in my mission folder.

Does anyone know what the problem could be, or would you like to have a try at testing one yourself please?

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
Try uploading them to a file hosting service and maybe then the download won't screw up.

Offline Lorric

I have attempted an upload to Freespacemods. It seems you have to wait for an administrator to review it, so we play the waiting game. No idea how long that will take, or even if it will be approved.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
Why not just use mediafire or a site like that?

Offline Lorric

I thought I would pick the site designed to take Freespace stuff, which I've always had 100% success with before and downloaded most of my Freespace stuff from.

However, I've never uploaded anything to it. I thought it would go straight up. Anyway, I'm going to wait and see what happens, and I have to go now anyway.

Thanks for trying Damar. Hopefully this will work.

Offline -Norbert-

The + instead of the space is easy to explain. Many hosters can't (or at least don't want to) handle spaces in filenames, so they automatically replace them with some other sign, most often the %  or + in my experience.

To avoid that you can use something like uppercase formating (FileName1) or underscores (File_Name_1) or simple put the files into an archive like 7z or winrar.

Offline Lorric

The + instead of the space is easy to explain. Many hosters can't (or at least don't want to) handle spaces in filenames, so they automatically replace them with some other sign, most often the %  or + in my experience.

To avoid that you can use something like uppercase formating (FileName1) or underscores (File_Name_1) or simple put the files into an archive like 7z or winrar.

Thanks Norbert. The + doesn't concern me much, since it's only the file name not the mission name, and won't interfere with the order of the missions, but it was nice to know.

Anyway, you've given me an idea. Don't know if it will do anything, but I had to pack the files into a .rar file to get it up on Freespacemods. No word on that yet, but I can try uploading that .rar file here, attached to this post. So Damar, if you're out there, or anyone else, do you want to try this?

[attachment deleted by a basterd]