I recognize the necessity of the Fedayeen
I'm uncomfortable with the Fedayeen
I have supported the UEF, and still do
I have supported the GTVA, and still do
I changed sides from UEF to GTVA
I changed sides from GTVA to UEF
Humanity is doomed!
Humanity has a chance!

Author Topic: The Monumental Tenebra Census (read me and post me!) (BIG spoilers!)  (Read 24895 times)

Offline Terminator

• Just another guy...
Re: The Monumental Tenebra Census (read me and post me!) (BIG spoilers!)
Also, I liked Thorn more than the wingmen because Thorn was straight forward with me the whole time and didn't seem dodgy with his answers.

I had no technical issues running Act 3
Nope, none whatsoever. Compiled the code with the Jan. 7 patch, and it worked like a charm (Ubuntu 12.10). Well, apart from the weapon selection screen, but that's minor.

I read most of the material in the dreamscape
I did, although I hardly remember any of it. The dialogues were not very memorable :(

I released the Gefs in 'Nothing is True'
One of them replied with "Thank you! Thank you so much! Ghanna, I'm coming home!" I knew I'd made the right choice.

I believed the Ridwan pilots had to die
Three lives against almost certain Vasudan participation in the war? Yes. Unfortunate, but it should be so.

Those wingmen were not my favorite people
We weren't even properly introduced! Well, obviously Noemi was, given her behaviour in the first Dreamscape, but I had no clue who these people were.

I had a horrible time on the assassination
Took me three tries to find out the blast range of the Shrikes, then two more to realize that I really didn't stand a chance against the fighters. And that was despite the fact that...
I used the decoy transport during the assassination
Looking for a better way to do it, the sensor scramble didn't seem very useful, but in the end...
I hacked a Mjolnir during the assassination
... and got away without so much as a scratch on the paintwork.

I destroyed the Gef reactor in 'One Future'
It seemed like the easier way: the destroyer wouldn't follow me in there, and I wouldn't have to pit a group of good marines against a few hundred thousand suicidal fanatics (they knew they were crashing into Earth, right?)

'One Future' didn't change my earlier decision about the Gef pilots
I was mildly annoyed, but the mission was easy anyway.

The Custos-X
No opinion. Some of it was fun, but overall it was kinda dull.

I was overwhelmed by 'Her Finest Hour'
Very much so. Even with help from IRC, it took me no less than ten tries. I didn't sign up for that!

I took the Carthage's surrender
The Carthage is a strategic asset of vital importance, and Calder leaves its fate to a rook with a vengeance? Seriously?

I had no trouble with the turret placement in 'Eyes in the Storm'
Apart from poor camera response. I let the SOC convoy sneak in until it was right over the armed platforms, then activated the turrets for maximum surprise effect. I felt clever :)

I wasn't bothered by 'Universal Truth'
Bothered? Was I supposed to be bothered?

I escaped 'Universal Truth' with my mind intact
Quite so, and with no major difficulties. I got all the information out of the Comm Nodes, but had no time to mentally process all of it with the timer running. I think I could have learned more out of it without time pressure.

Especially in crisis situations, this Machiavellian approach seems justified.

Ubuntu offers a better world, a peaceful and prosperous society. And then the Tevs had to come and spoil it all.

Humanity is doomed!/Humanity has a chance!
I'm eager to see how this plays out in future releases...

Offline FIZ

I am surprised by the number of people letting the GEFs go for morale reasons, yet justifying the UEF pilots had to die.  Almost a 50% change in empathy in 2 minutes?  Is it an example of justification of circumstance because the UEF die regardless?

I am surprised by the number of people letting the GEFs go for morale reasons, yet justifying the UEF pilots had to die.  Almost a 50% change in empathy in 2 minutes?  Is it an example of justification of circumstance because the UEF die regardless?
For me it was a combination of the fact that we were essentially blackmailing the Gefs, and they held up their end of the bargain, and that the Gefs are considered untrustworthy by every faction, so deniability should be pretty easy. UEF pilots on the other hand would garner a lot more attention if they cried foul.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator

I was too busy shooting the living sh*t out of the miners to notice until the Feddies were already dead. Like Ryu said, noone's going to take the word of some Gef scrubs. Plus you got to sanitize something, you're black ops godammit!

If you're going to sanitize your fellow UEF pilots, might as well sanitize the Kostadin scum while you're at it.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Letting the UEF pilots live would have seriously compromised the operation. That one surviving Gef, not so much. And, like you said, letting the UEF pilots go was not a choice anyway. I confess that I had a hard time accepting it, but my wingmen made short work of them.

Offline Kolgena

There is no census option where you vaporize every last Gef with a gas miner. I pulled it off by accident on my 2nd play through (vaporized my 3 wingmen too, but hey).

Offline mmm99

Great job chaps heaps of awsome moments! loved the custos mission (request a mission with a standard capital ship not a experimental version). 'her finest hours' was just nuts, in a good way! my only critisism is i liked the style and campain debriefings in part 1 better and the missions(didnt like the stealth so much). still awesome tho guys!
Life is like cheese... I never liked cheese.

Offline Freon

I had some technical issues running Act 3
Shadows really stressed my computer a few times, but worked fine after disabling those, except for an antipodes crash.  Only once though.

It was interesting and informative. Needs a faster ship so it doesn't take so long to get to people. I thought that detracted from the action a little.

I released Gef pilots
I'm a nice guy. They had families.

I don't believe the Ridwan pilots had to die
There are always other ways to frame such things. They have access to Fleet debris after all.

The wingman were not my favourite.
They weren't bad, just no connection, introduction, or development really.  Simms, Karen, Levi, Olefumi etc are much more memorable.

I did poorly on the assassination.
I used the decoy transport.
Not emotionally.  She needed to die, and I had no issue doing that.  Escaping alive took a few turns, seeing as I blew myself up and didn't understand the beacon system.  Now I find you can hack a mjolnir...

I captured the Gef habitat.
No point in massacring civilians.  That's just monstrous.

I do not regret earlier Gef release.
It was the right call, but of course they were going to warn people.  Doesn't make letting them go wrong.

I had issues flying the Custos-X
I like maneuverable ships.  Bombers frustrate me, so a squishy cruiser with a 1km turning circle was agony.  Gutting cruisers was fun though.

I adapted well to "Her Finest Hour"
That said, I still don't know how the artillery works, and it took me a few goes to get my act together and take advantage of stealth. I prefer to be a pilot, not fleet commander.

I took the Carthage's surrender.
Cos I'm nice.  Plus why destroy something you can use?  And Lopez is admirable.

"Her Finest Hour"
You can summon the Toutatis...?

Turret placement was easy in Eyes of the Storm
Kind of fun too.  Not really part of the game, but interesting anyway.

Universal Truth kinda freaked me out.
The tendrils were a great touch. The facts weren't particularly freaky. That said, there was some adrenaline :D

I escaped with my mind intact.
"Lorna Simms is alive-" MASH 1! I WANT TO LIIIIIVE!! :D

I am uncomfortable about the Fedayeen.
They're psychopaths...casual killers for a cause I'm not sure is necessary. It made me sad Laporte went with them so easily. They used Simms as leverage, and Laporte as a tool.  I don't like being used.

I support neither side.
The GTVA invasion is just wrong and counter productive.  But the UEF's seeming capitulation to the alien influence is also not a good thing.  As I said, I don't like being used.

Humanity has a chance
Albeit a small one, and if they do die, I hope it's with honour, not in civil war.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Something I'd like to add here: I blew up the GEF Habitat... and felt terrible afterwards. It was not the amount of people that were said to have lived there, nor the Dream-ari Gef Girl that made me change my mind, it was Sergei Gwilym.

When I fled the habitat as it was about to blow, 4 fighters followed me out, my auto turrets engaged and destroyed them one at a time, when the habitat finally exploded, only one craft was left, Gwilym's.

As I tried to shoot him down, hearing him curse my name while contemplating the implications of what I had just done, I felt terrible. So much that I was about to jump out and leave him alive... and then a stray shot landed on his ship, killing him.

For minutes I stared silently behind me. At the burning habitat. At the charred junk. At the dead bodies. It was not until the other GEF cells were said to be arriving that I jumped out.

Thank you, I can't ever remember a game that made me feel so bad about getting revenge on someone, even a fictional character that gets barley any screen time.

"No I must kill the Gef Terrorists!" - Said Laporte
 Al-Da'wa said: "No Laporte, you are the terrorist."
 And then... Laporte was a mass murderer.

Offline Luis Dias

I wouldn't be so terribly sad about a bunch of people that were on the verge of wiping billions of people on Earth and vaporizing it to the middle ages. Any survivor of that attack is to me a dangerous lunatic that shouldn't be trusted to live near any inhabitted solar system.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I wouldn't be so terribly sad about a bunch of people that were on the verge of wiping billions of people on Earth and vaporizing it to the middle ages. Any survivor of that attack is to me a dangerous lunatic that shouldn't be trusted to live near any inhabitted solar system.

Surely thousands of them had no other choice, given the state of Kostadin Cell. (Of course, the guys who'd hurl themselves at you in spacesuits with suicide charges probably were true believers.)

Except that Kostadin cell was described as essentially a prison state, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that McDuff's plans were what the majority of the people living on that rock supported.

Offline Doko

That mission totally should've had an option to hack their subspace gate and put them in the path of a comet, they can go explore the cosmos just like they wanted.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That mission totally should've had an option to hack their subspace gate and put them in the path of a comet, they can go explore the cosmos just like they wanted.

The habitat never would've survived the jump intact anyway.

Offline Doko

hmm I guess I wasn't clear enough. I'm not exactly concerned for their well being.

In the path of a comet, not on a comet.  :drevil:

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
 Forget that, we should totally have the option of shoving it up Steele's ship exhaust ports!

"Admiral, Subspace jump detected. Holy $h!7, It's huge!"

Knowing Steele, he'd probably have a contingency for this however. :sigh:

Please allocate them sensibly and don't vote for contradictory options.

Hm, damn, should have read that before voting... Only "contradiction" is that I felt uncomfortable with the Feyadeen yet saw their necessity as well.

I had some technical issues running Act 3
I already posted about the issues I had, with messages not showing up and some overall problems with UT

Including clicking about ten times afterwards to be sure to get all of the one-liners.

I sanitized the Gefs in 'Nothing is True'
Because I thought them a liability. If Steele or the GTVA had gotten their hands on them, the whole deception could have been endangered

OK, I misvoted on the next one, because I remembered wrong:
I don't think the Ridwan pilots had to die
I was a bit confused, but now I realize that this has to be the UEF pilots defending the convoy. For a moment, unfortunately the moment I voted, I thought they were supposed to be those two pilots 'on my list' in One Future, which didn't make sense at all in hindsight. I didn't feel like I had a special hatred towards them beyond them being enemy comabatants, so I voted this option.

However, I killed the UEF pilots in cold blood. Wrong place, wrong time, huge liability for a project that could win the war and save humanity (unless we are being double-deceived here...) Didn't even think twice about it.

Kovacs was my favorite wingman
I felt like he provided actual support, and was still interesting to talk to.

Those wingmen were not my favorite people
I hope this doesn't count as contradictory as well. It's just that they didn't quite live up to the competition from the past

I had no trouble pulling off the assassination
I was suprised actually, that there were so many things you could do to make it easier. Note, though, that I played on easy. I do not consider myself to be a good pilot.

I pulled that assassination off with NO ITEMS
Again, on easy. Went very smoothly, though. Went in, hacked comms, found transport, shot transport, escaped without damage to my hull. I guess this mission does scale with the difficulty a lot.

I captured the Gef habitat in 'One Future'
There was enough time to spare after I had eliminated the defenses, and killing without a need for it just doesn't sit right with me.

'One Future' didn't change my earlier decision about the Gef pilots
I still think of them as a risk that the GTVA could have exploited, no regrets killing them at all.

I loved flying the Custos-X
I had the fear that it'd overwhelm me, but it was surprisingly comfortable to fly, and the turret management was very easy and intuitive.

I was overwhelmed by 'Her Finest Hour'
Even though I was playing on easy, I had to fly it about eight times. The first few times, I completely forgot that I could scan the stations subsystems as well, and I kept getting killed by those damn turrets, trying to snipe them one by one with limited ammo, while still making it in time. I really should have been taking notes. Afterwards I was still completely overwhelmed by which wings to take, just basically calling in random ones all in one huge wave. After I had mastered the mission, though, I kinda liked the concept. It was basically my own fault for not paying attention closely enough that I needed a lot of tries.

I took the Carthage's surrender
I saw no value in destroying a ship that could possibly be repaired and put into our service, used for research of beam weapons, and even though they said they destroyed all the intel, some new information could always be brought to light.

I summoned the Toutatis in 'Her Finest Hour'
The first time I finished the mission, all my fighter wings were destroyed, yet the enemy had basically no beam-weapon potential left, so it was a no-brainer to fall back to it as a solution.

I had no trouble with the turret placement in 'Eyes in the Storm'
It took only a few seconds to get used to the way it works. It was a bit fidgety, but it worked out fine in the end.

'Universal Truth' really freaked me out
Especially when on my first try there was no dialogue, I was truly questioning my sanity  ;)
But in all seriousnes, this is a tremendously well designed mission. I felt my heartrate going up, to say the least. It was disorienting and as dreamlike as you can probably design something with the engine at hand.

I escaped 'Universal Truth' with my mind intact
On my first try, even though without dialogue it was really weird, I just have to relay what were basically my thoughts after a certain point:

"Oh, now I have to stare at Ken for a while? OK... Hmm, the images in these nodes are interesting, but why does nothing happen when I probe further? Probably important for the outcome of the mission, like the more information I gather the riskier, but in the end the more rewarding for the next missions... OK, now Ken turns into Bei... I guess I have to follow him now for a change... Woah, suddenly Shivans and Vishnans... What the hell are they saying? I don't understand a word... Let's try to fly into that Dante, that's the way I came in, maybe it's the way out. Damn, my sanity went down - oh, finally some training messages at the top, wait what? Who is he talking about? Oh, jump-nodes, finally the right way out! Hm, finally some speech I can understand, even though it's just Aken Bosch... Why are the Vishnans after me? Ah, there's the Iceni, let's fly towards it. My sanity is quite low, I think, it's red and all garbled nonsense... Ah, an interface for questioning, let's hit 1.... Nothing happens? The hell? Am I already insane? Lets mash 1-4 repeadetly! Wait, what? Now I have interrogated him successfully? Well, maybe it's really trying to play tricks on my mind, and I will get the information afterwards or in the debriefing. What the ****? Why am I now in my past? Do I have to relieve my greatest defeat because I lost too much sanity. Wait, another decision, stay here or leave? Leave, of course. Why the **** does nothing happen when I press 1. Am I already doomed? Did they really design a complete sequence of events and situations that make you question your own sanity? That's genius! Oh, now I am in a different field of stars again. Oh, now the mission is over... Success? Wait... No, something it definitely not right here..."

War births atrocities. If you do not want them, you have to oppose war itself. If you are already at war, however, it is foolish to hold yourself back, unless it gives you an advantage...

I'm uncomfortable with the Fedayeen
...On the other hand, I am very concerned what could become of the Fedayeen after the war is over. An institution like that doesn't die easily after they are no longer needed, and their basically absolute power without any restricitions in morality is a dangerous thing outside of wartimes.

I think the GTVA is foolish when they think they could hold back Shivans with military power, and I think it was foolish to attack in Sol, wasting ressources on both sides, when there are bigger threats out there. Yes, they wanted to save us from the Vishnans, but they acted out of a selfish desparation without exactly knowing what they were doing. That, at least, is my opinion about it, but BP is still far from finished, and I may yet be surprised and forced to change my opinion.

Humanity has a chance!
The chances may not be great, but I do not believe in certainty when speculating about the future. Sure, the Shivans may be deceiving us as well, but it's certain that we could not beat them with strength alone. I'll rather be grasping at straws that have a small chance of working, than repeating old mistakes, or giving up entirely.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I released the Gefs in 'Nothing is True'
One of them replied with "Thank you! Thank you so much! Ghanna, I'm coming home!" I knew I'd made the right choice.

Thats interesting, all I got was 'THIS ISN'T OVER!' before the guy jumped out.

I then wiped my save data and replayed it, detonating their charges as soon as I got the option.  I wanted to make sure the change percolated through later parts of the campaign in case it was saved.