Author Topic: What happened to HLP (and the FreeSpace community in general) in 2012?  (Read 7831 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: What happened to HLP (and the FreeSpace community in general) in 2012?
She didn't last very long, 82 posts.

Shouldn't be continuing this derailment but I felt the need to clear this up: posts in GenDisc don't count towards post count, so be careful when using that to judge how "long someone lasted".
Picking a random example, iaz has 211 pages worth of posts under "show posts", you have 44 pages, so she has about five times as many posts as you do in total (most of which are in gen disc). Of course, this can be skewed by posts in private forums not showing up in that count, while appearing in the overall post count displayed on the forum, but assuming no posts in private forums (no badges), the most accurate count of posts is the "Show Posts" page.

The aside aside,

So, what happened in 2012? Has HLP experienced any repeated blackouts which have reduced activity? How many campaigns and mods have been released? And yeah, before you ask, I noticed that many modders decided to stop working on their projects and reported it to the public. I don't see it as a bad sign, because IMHO there's really no difference between a dead mod supposedly being active and an actual dead and archived mod. It becomes a problem, however, when there are fewer and fewer new releases making up for it, but I hope this is not the case.

HLP had a few issues with the forums being down, but never more than a few days at a time.
For every mod that's packed up and declared themselves dead another has put out a release, and I think there's actually been an increased in releases compared to 2011 (?) don't quote me on that, though. I really haven't felt a noticable lull in releases at all, in fact there's been quite a few big ones (WCS, Diaspora, BP etc...)

(Judging by the knee-jerk responses in this thread, I'd say "Is the community dying?" is the new "When is FS3 coming out?")
As it should be.
Please...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
(Judging by the knee-jerk responses in this thread, I'd say "Is the community dying?" is the new "When is FS3 coming out?")
As it should be.

no, it shouldn't.  the angry responses are at best just as bad as the question.  for my money, they are WAY worse.  i would rather politely answer such questions myself fifty times than read someone else blowing up once.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Seriously?  Dilmah G and Apollo both posted about iamzack in this thread before Lorric did.

Well that escalated quickly....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Luis Dias

As it should be.

That's a fair assessment. :) I too got carried away :D

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
the HLP is dying threads have really started to bug me over the last year or so  :rolleyes: :o
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Nearly 50 replies and nearly 1000 views in less than a week.

Guess we're all here, and this is just the "flavor of the month".

How about discussing some FS related things in the next big topic for a change?
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
WTB fully working installer (I know it's being worked on, but I truly think it will be a big help).
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Drogoth

WTB fully working installer (I know it's being worked on, but I truly think it will be a big help).

Upvote

Edit-- Also, someone mentioned earlier that HLP is more geared to developers, and while I tend to agree, I don't think it's in any way not consumer friendly as well. I'm a 1000% consumer, and HLP is my homepage haha.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:26:42 am by Drogoth »
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lorric

She didn't last very long, 82 posts.

Shouldn't be continuing this derailment but I felt the need to clear this up: posts in GenDisc don't count towards post count, so be careful when using that to judge how "long someone lasted".
Picking a random example, iaz has 211 pages worth of posts under "show posts", you have 44 pages, so she has about five times as many posts as you do in total (most of which are in gen disc). Of course, this can be skewed by posts in private forums not showing up in that count, while appearing in the overall post count displayed on the forum, but assuming no posts in private forums (no badges), the most accurate count of posts is the "Show Posts" page.

Thanks for that.

Why are General Discussion posts not counted? Is it only Freespace related posts that are counted? Would that mean the Gaming Discussion topic is not counted maybe also?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
GD posts do not count because they're off-topic for the board as a whole. HLP is a modding site first and foremost, other stuff doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

GD posts do not count because they're off-topic for the board as a whole. HLP is a modding site first and foremost, other stuff doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks.

Hey Folks! LTNS Eh?
My excuse was I got busy in real life and didn't have as much time to do all the skins for Teeth of the Tiger like I was going too. One daughter is now on her own, my other daughter is almost out on her own now too. Plus I got real serious working on my Aviation Art Profiles as well.  :D
Believe me fellas, I do miss this place and miss playing the Freespace games. I am on the same computer I had almost 10 years ago and wont be able to get a new one until sometime next year and until then, no game play for anything what so ever.  :nono:
With what I have learned and done for my Aviation art Profiles, I would love to return and apply them to the skins here.
Until then, I cant do much, but I DO return here once in awhile and try to keep current on things.

So keep the Freespace Universe alive and going folks!  :yes:

Brandon S (Jadehawk)
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Well, TotT will quite likely have a few textures to get fixed. I still suck. :P

The fleet (and maybe even missions) will be pretty much done by next year though.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.