Author Topic: The story of Mel - unmaintainable code to art level  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Mika

The story of Mel - unmaintainable code to art level
I came across a very old usenet post after laughing very hard on "Writing unmaintainable code". Certain machine vision types are going to find my numerical routines a bit more imaginable after this... I certainly did find the conditional pre-processor macro doing different things depending on how many times a certain include file is added most interesting indeed!

But the real deal is coming from somebody who really knows the processor logic inside out and uses that knowledge to the limit, but as a side effect makes a simple comparison modification to a black jack program impossible and even thinking of modifying the code scares the crap out of anyone. On the other hand, it's still somehow utterly insane and beautiful at the same time that somebody has managed to pull this off.

Behold the hex level for-loop without a check condition, which still exits when it needs to :D
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Re: The story of Mel - unmaintainable code to art level
the lost art of being a complete smartarse
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Apparently the programmer who did that is in this picture: http://zappa.brainiac.com/MelKaye.png