Author Topic: A complete FS ship tutorial -- EXTREMELY IMAGE HEAVY  (Read 31624 times)

Re: A complete FS ship tutorial -- EXTREMELY IMAGE HEAVY
Yay for the updated shipbuilding tutorial. ;)
*bookmarks*

Perfect timing too. Seriously, just when I'm about to go back to modelling.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Third post, Mesh Problems, and Greebling.  Done and uploaded.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 12:50:45 pm by ShadowWolf_IH »
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I was going to start following your tutorial today, but when I tried to load the pilot model, it appears slightly rotated to the right. This happens both when I followed your method of opening it (deleting the cube vertices and then loading), and double-clicking it in Windows Explorer. I'm using the 2.66a 64-bit version.

I'm not sure whether it's a problem with the model, or whether I've done something wrong myself somewhere, but you told us to let you know if there were problems, so...

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Somehow I missed your post.  Sorry about that.  I fixed the problem late one night, but I guess i failed to upload it.  Same link for repaired version.   Redownload it, and it should be fine.

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
UV and AO are up.  Don't expect greatness since I suck at figuring out which seams to mark.  So I used Smart UV Project and then grouped things together.  But, before you yell too loudly at me, read the first paragraph of the post.

Casualties of War

Offline Moonred

My hero D:
Gimmeh models...moaaar!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Could you give the example bomber a turret? I'm trying to make a frigate (yes, I know it's a capship, but I'm using a simple cylindrical shape and it doesn't need a cockpit) and could use some hints for turreting it.

Offline Doko

Thanks for your hard work.

Might I sugest using spoilers for formating so the post is not so enormous ?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Spoilers on HLP don't work that way. :) They "black out" the text rather than hiding it behind a button.

Offline Eskimo

This is awesome, the guide helped me out plenty. I've been lurking here for a few months now, ever since I found out about FSO. I missed Freespace 1 and 2 when they were originally released, I'm pretty late to the party. But I had to register to post my thanks for this guide to you guys, FreeSpaceFreak and ShadowWolf. And to everyone who's worked on FSO and the SCP or contributed to the community and helped to keep this game alive. Thanks!

I brought some pics with me of what the guide has helped me achieve. I only started last night, still taming the interface and making tons of mistakes. I'm having a blast, though. I really can't thank you guys enough.

It's plain, simple. I also went a little crazy with the bevel and subdivide modifiers so the poly count is way too high, I think. But it's just for learning and testing blender functions. I have no real intention of using this model with the rest of the guide, implementing in FSO and such. Speaking of the rest of the guide, I'm eagerly awaiting it. Okay, back to work. Hopefully I'll produce something I can UV, and isn't piloted by a pacifist. 

tl;dr: Yay, modelling is fun! XD Ty, ty, ty, ty, ty, ty, ty, ty! 

This is awesome, the guide helped me out plenty. I've been lurking here for a few months now, ever since I found out about FSO. I missed Freespace 1 and 2 when they were originally released, I'm pretty late to the party. But I had to register to post my thanks for this guide to you guys, FreeSpaceFreak and ShadowWolf. And to everyone who's worked on FSO and the SCP or contributed to the community and helped to keep this game alive. Thanks!

You're very welcome! Also...

:welcome:

I like your design, it's got a nice old-school space shooter vibe.

Offline Eskimo

I like your design, it's got a nice old-school space shooter vibe.

I'm glad you approve, but it's sorta accidental. I have very little control over the end result at the moment. I started out trying to make Nym's Havoc from the Star Wars Starfighter/Jedi Starfighter games, but I quickly discovered that that wasn't going to happen yet. :lol:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yeah, it's a nice design. This guide is really helpful. I nearly finished my first capship model thanks to it (aside from the bridge submodel, the main mesh is done). Speaking of that, I could use a turret and animated hatch (for VLSes) tutorial.

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
I will definitely be attempting this again over the next few days now that the pilot model is fixed. :)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
I very much apreciate the thanks, to be honest it feels good to put something out that people use and apreciate.  As long as we are being honest, the only thing that I am doing is the walkthrough, and a (very) little bit of opptimizing the original tut for 2.66.  It was originally for 2.49.  If you aren't using either of those (which I think is likely), then the thanks goes to FSF for the original tut, which kicks royal ass.  Yes doing walk throughs is a hell a great deal of work, especially since I screw crap up and have to go back and fix it, but HT put it best when he said..."The more people we have that can make cool stuff, the more cool stuff we have to play with".  I learned a great deal outside of the tut from people like Black Wolf, The Dagger, Rampage and FSF, i thought that it should be included as we walk through.  Anyway, my thanks to you guys for trying to follow it, I'm fairly certain that I speak for anyone who has made a tutorial when I say "We make them in the hope that they will be used".

Let's statrt from the top....

Dragon.   You know every bit as much as I do about turrets.  That is something that I mean to change.  I have been thinking about doing a cruiser with animated modelling, turrets (obviously, it is a cruiser), name plate and animated texture.  Doing this as a separate thread that would flow a great deal like this one, think of it as an advanced tut that requires me to learn these things.  Be fun to make.  So while the current answer may be, I have nothing for you, you may want to wait to see what happens next.   Also, there is a plethura of material in the Modding tutorials and resources thread here on the modding board.  BUt that is still something I plan to work on after this.

Eskimo.  Welcome aboard. Glad that you like what we are doing and glad to be of help to ya.  There are so many people here who are so much more knowledgeable than I am, they can help a great deal.  Might I suggest looking at the very top of this page and finding HLP > IRC.  I can be found (usually) in Hard-Light, Freespace, or SCP.  But glad to have you aboard.

ssmit.  Thanks for not giving up after I screw soimething up.

everyone else.  Thanks for your support in this endeavor. 

Casualties of War

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Considering the title for this thread is "Complete FS2 ship tutorial", I think that an advanced tutorial would belong here, though may it could have it's own section. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. Also, I've once made a fighter for WoD (in Wings, not in Blender, but it should be possible to import it) and a whole bunch of missiles. Maybe with this tutorial, I'll be able to texture and convert them.

Offline ssmit132

• Steam
    • Twitter
I started working through this yesterday and reached the part just before the guns were started. It was pretty easy to follow, actually. Off the top of my head, though, there's two errors.

¾ front view and create the faces that you see below.

I believe the face adjacent to the top-most (in the image) selected face was also one that was created in this step, and should be selected. In addition, the face that's shaded in the dot pattern shouldn't be selected as it was created earlier. Obviously it's infeasible to go back to that step to fix it, but I thought I should point it out anyway. :nervous:

Select any two adjacent vertices from what you see selected below, and then go to your Select menu at the bottom of your work window, and hit Select > Ring Loop.  This will select all of the vertices in our current loop.
That should be "edge loop", not "ring loop". You used the correct term for all later cases, at least as far as I've read, though.

When I started work on the guns today, though I got confused by this part:

Hit A until everything is selected, Extrude, ESC, and Scale, but when you Scale, hit X, then Shift Z (you may have to tap the Z key twice to get the Z line to highlight with the X line).  Then Duplicate by hitting Shift D, then hit ESC, and Scale down on the X and Z axes.  Then Extrude, ESC, and Scale on the X and Z axes. It helps to be in rear view, wire view for this.  See below.

You say to scale twice after extruding, but don't specify whether it should be scaling up or down. I assumed that it should scale up in both cases, but I wanted to double check. I also used the "hit x, then Shift Z" method when scaling down the duplicates (instead of scaling in X and then Z, I didn't want to have to guess if I'd got it circular again), is that correct?

...Other than that, though, it's been a really great tutorial so far. It was very enjoyable to watch the ship slowly take shape as I went through each step. :)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
You are right and wrong, you should be using X Shift Z.  That is absolutely correct.  But, you should have been scaling down, which is really no big deal though, since you have to scale down the guns anyway.  Remember on the gun mounting, everything in RED is optional and not recommended, per people who know more about modelling than I do.

Thanks for pointing out the errors and areas of confusion, it will help those who go through it after you.  I will have them fixed by the end of the night, right now I have a splitting headache though.

Casualties of War

My tutorial, made more newb-friendly - good work :yes:
Well I'm just thankful I don't have to do tutorials anymore  :D
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
LOD, debris, shield, Heirarchy, Texture precautions, and conversion up.

repairs to text made in the error / confusion department.  Tomorrow I will see about repairing the faulty images.

Casualties of War