Author Topic: Just Another Day Development Blog  (Read 233982 times)

Offline Axem

Re: Just Another Day Development Blog
He's breaking the review embargo! Get him!

Say farewell to your account Spoon, it's been nice knowing you~

Online Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
BETA TESTERS, UNITE
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Axem

Well I'd like to show more stuff off but... stuff really gets going after that last batch and I'd hate to spoil anything so... Let's take a look back a bit instead!

I compiled this neat graph of JAD as a whole, showing mission filesizes, events and objects (I just excluded the VN missions from JAD2.2x since they're always very small). In classic JAD there was just 1 mission above 100kb in filesize, and by time we get to JAD2.23, all of them are above 100kb!

And I was organizing up all my FreeSpace files and found old batches of screenshots, from 2010 until now. And that's just about when I started work on JAD2.2x so enjoy the very very first three development screenshots!

Good to see over the course of 9 years, literally nothing has changed at all.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I'm amused that the mission with the smallest filesize manages to be the one that can make me laugh every time I play it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I expect greatness by Christmas
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Axem

Still got a few days... I just might make it!

Still got a few days... I just might make it!

I specifically brought my desktop PC back home from college over Christmas break so I could play this if you released it soon.
So no pressure but uhh

pretty please  ;7

Offline Axem

;7

VERY SOON

Offline Axem

Actually let's do one last really cool pic.

Now you don't technically see this in the campaign (as gameplay or cutscene), this is just a loading screen I made up, but it would happen off screen. So... it's not entirely misrepresenting the campaign... But uh, I'm sure you're all going to like the mission it goes with. 20 minutes of destroying many many fighters and capital ships with many big kabooms with friends.

finally~ ;7 ;7 ;7

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Ready to channel my inner M. Bison.

Offline Axem

Just Another Day 2.23 is currently being uploaded to Knossos RIGHT NOW.

Build required will be FSO-19 RC2, which just released today!

I'm going to close the dev blog thread for now, to channel any discussion to the other threads. Later I might reopen it and share some weird tales or share unused or stuff that didn't make the cut.

But thanks to everyone posting here, giving your interest and motivation and memes to keep on going!

I really hope you enjoy the end of to this really weird series.

This was quite the journey. If you told me when I started JAD2.2 that it'd take me 9 years to finish it and had to design a whole bunch of new content and stuff, I probably would've just given up. But making JAD taught me so much. The series has always been about me learning how to do stuff. The original JADs were me just exploring FRED and getting to know how FreeSpace works. JAD2.2 was learning everything else: writing, scripting, game design, refining how to model objects fast and map and texture them.

But all that takes a large mental toll. So that'll be the last FreeSpace campaign I make (on my own anyway). I don't see how I could top this without killing myself...

I've still got some FreeSpace projects to do. Scripts people have asked for, models I want to redo. All of that after a nice long break.

So thanks for reading this, and thanks for playing!