Author Topic: Blue Planet 2 Starting error  (Read 15069 times)

Re: Blue Planet 2 Starting error
Last reply for this thread (I DAMN WELL HOPE, GIVE ME 1/2 HOURS)
ok. ok ok ok. so basically i tried reading up what sse was, no forum is able to explain it simply

Offline Yarn

Actually, you should not use the 3.6.17 build that comes with the Blue Planet installer because it has a number of serious bugs, including one that can destroy your pilot file. Instead, use this build or the compatibility package. If you do use the compatibility package, you must use 3.7.0 or a nightly build; 3.6.18 will not work!

Also, you should absolutely move your FS2 installation out of Program Files and to a simpler path like Games\FreeSpace2. Not only will this help prevent the headache of needing to look for files in obscure and hidden folders, it will also prevent weird problems caused by directories being too long.

EDIT: Furthermore:

Code: [Select]
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\adv-bp2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4d6319c8
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-audio1.vp' with a checksum of 0x4f978a6b
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-core.vp' with a checksum of 0x64e738b9
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals1.vp' with a checksum of 0xbaa4dbd6
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0x9689af32
Both your "blueplanet2" and "blueplanet" folders (and, indeed, all mod folders) need to be placed in your root FS2 folder, not in another subfolder. I'm almost certain this is what's causing the crash.

Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\INF_Main.vp' with a checksum of 0xb7e1e9e6
That file does not belong there. Move or delete it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:29:03 pm by Yarn »
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Arpit

Good one, Yarn. I hope MobileForce follows your advice.

Now if you want to know about SSE. Go here.

Generally AFAIK if your CPU supports SSE2, then SSE2 will be faster than SSE which will be faster than NO_SSE.

TRIED IT with 3_6_19_sse2bp debug. didn't work, spewed back the same shizz about 105 missing iconspaces etc...
tried it without debug mode, just crashed and didn't give me anything- just crashed- still didn't work.
if you want, use teamviewer, and connect, figure out wtf is wrong (still not working with the newest nightly.)
ID: 639 382 644
PASSWORD: message me
all you need to know is there.
here is another fs2_open.log

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:53:20 pm by MobileForce »

Offline Arpit

TRIED IT with 3_6_19_sse2bp debug. didn't work, spewed back the same shizz about 105 missing iconspaces etc...
tried it without debug mode, just crashed and didn't give me anything- just crashed- still didn't work.
if you want, use teamviewer, and connect, figure out wtf is wrong (still not working with the newest nightly.)
PASSWORD: 4717

Sorry I just saw your last statement now.  :p

Do this:
Or if your computer does not support deferred lightning (i.e. you have Intel graphics), then you could take a recent nightly build, download this package and enjoy.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I and Yarn already told you to go the compatibilty package way.

Offline Luis Dias

Jesus Christ man, don't you ever put an id and a password for all the internet to see!

Also, correct your folder structures. As Yarn stated, put the .vp's from BluePlanet and BluePlanet 2 into their own separate folders.

PASSWORD: 4717

Sorry I just saw your last statement now.  :p

Do this:
Or if your computer does not support deferred lightning (i.e. you have Intel graphics), then you could take a recent nightly build, download this package and enjoy.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

I and Yarn already told you to go the compatibilty package way.
you're kidding me, right? the compatability package is what i was using. i got the knigthly and the extra files. added them to the directory. didn't work. none of the damn exes.
there is literally a choice of 1: 3_6_19_SSE2_BP.exe. that is all included in the fso. compatability package is one file, added.
then using the other files of the fs2_open_3_6_19-DEBUG-20130630_r9699.exe
that crashes, too. i told you, go ahead and use the team viewer. It doesn't work neither with compatability package or the other package. Nightly doesn't work either. All files are in the sf2 folder. dun work. I cant help you, you need to acces my teamviewer or this will never ever work.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
i got the knigthly and the extra files. added them to the directory. didn't work. none of the damn exes.
there is literally a choice of 1: 3_6_19_SSE2_BP.exe.
That is not a nightly build.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

i got the knigthly and the extra files. added them to the directory. didn't work. none of the damn exes.
there is literally a choice of 1: 3_6_19_SSE2_BP.exe.
That is not a nightly build.

fs2_open_3_6_19-DEBUG-20130630_r9699.exe is however, and that didn't work either.

Offline Arpit

you're kidding me, right? the compatability package is what i was using. i got the knigthly and the extra files. added them to the directory. didn't work. none of the damn exes.
there is literally a choice of 1: 3_6_19_SSE2_BP.exe. that is all included in the fso. compatability package is one file, added.
then using the other files of the fs2_open_3_6_19-DEBUG-20130630_r9699.exe
that crashes, too. i told you, go ahead and use the team viewer. It doesn't work neither with compatability package or the other package. Nightly doesn't work either. All files are in the sf2 folder. dun work. I cant help you, you need to acces my teamviewer or this will never ever work.

Ok, sorry then.  :sigh:

Try this build.

Also did you remove those VP's which Yarn told to and re-organised your Freespace 2 folder.

Offline Yarn

I'll reiterate what you missed:

Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\adv-bp2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4d6319c8
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-audio1.vp' with a checksum of 0x4f978a6b
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-core.vp' with a checksum of 0x64e738b9
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals1.vp' with a checksum of 0xbaa4dbd6
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\FreeSpace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0x9689af32
Both your "blueplanet2" and "blueplanet" folders (and, indeed, all mod folders) need to be placed in your root FS2 folder, not in another subfolder. I'm almost certain this is what's causing the crash.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

I'll reiterate what you missed:

already done. there is no subfolder inside Freespace 2. now it looks like this:
C:\Program Files\GOG.com\Freespace 2\blueplanet2\
does it need to be in a folder called Freespace2 OR in a folder called Freespace 2 (WITH A SPACE?!?!)
currently downloading 3.7.0 rc2.
another log? is it different? I hope it changes everytime you launch the game and it doesn't work.

EDIT: Yeah the same thing happens with every single ****ing .exe i use. none of them work and all spew the same **** message. MIND ANALYISNG THE DAMN MESSAGE WHICH I WAS TRYING TO GET YOU TO DO IN THE FIRST PLACE BUT DIDN'T WANT TO?
jk, but seriously, at least try to figure out if this is the cause, not the .exe

---------------------------
Error!
---------------------------
sounds.tbl(line 629):
Error: Missing required token: [#Flyby Sounds End]. Found [$UEF:      0   T_flyby1.wav,   0, 0.75, 1, 200, 400         ]  instead.

ntdll.dll! KiFastSystemCallRet
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_0_RC2.exe! <no symbol>
fs2_open_3_7_0_RC2.exe! <no symbol>

Use Ok to break into Debugger, Cancel to exit.
BREAKING INTO DEBUGGER DOESN'T DO ****

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 01:37:47 pm by MobileForce »

Offline Arpit

Ok this time I checked the log and I am asking you something.

How many and which VPs are there in your blueplanet folder? (not blueplanet2 folder)

Reason:

Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0x9689af32
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet\bp-compat.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ef45eaf
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0x4b8b0f5a

How many and which VPs are there in your blueplanet folder? (not blueplanet2 folder)

Reason:

Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0x9689af32
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet\bp-compat.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ef45eaf
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_Advanced.vp' with a checksum of 0x4b8b0f5a

because i downloaded an installation
didn't know you need blue planet 1? wtf? that's like buying crysis 3 but needing 2 and 1...
bp-combat.vp is all that's in the blueplanet folder under
C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet
what's wrong with the 3 mediavps in my 3612 folder????

Offline Arpit

Reason:

didn't know you need blue planet 1? wtf? that's like buying crysis 3 but needing 2 and 1...

There is not 1 vp. There are 6 VPs, 7 when adding that single VP you have. Re-install BP.

EDIT: Re-edited my post because I thought that it was going too abusive. Sorry MobileForce.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:00:02 pm by Arpit »

Reason:

****!!!!!!!!! Are you mad?

There is not 1 vp. There are 6 VPs, 7 when adding that single VP you have. Re-install BP.
but i never got bp1, only bp 2. ah bloody hell.
do i need bp age of aquarius?
where do i get the vps? i tried the thread
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=68213.0
but it doesn't show me where the vps are
(hopefully in the installer)

god i seem like such a ****ing noob+newb right now
don't know how to do ****.
see this is where a video connection would be good.

Offline Yarn

Yes, use the installer. Once you've done that, you may need to install the compatibility package again.

Also, after you reinstall Blue Planet, you should delete the following files:

blueplanet2\adv-bp2.vp
blueplanet\adv-bp.vp
mediavps_3612\MV_Advanced.vp
mediavps_3612\MV_AnimGlows.vp

Why? Because those files require lots of video RAM and support for very large textures (at least 4096x4096 I think), neither of which your video card has.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Arpit

Hopefully your problems have come to an end. Yay!!!!  :)

And you also taught me to check debug logs thoroughly.  :p

I'm back
with another error log!
DON'T BE AFRAID THIS MIGHT BE SOLVED ALREADY???

you see, i can't get past the intro in the campaign of AoA. It just turns of and leaves no error message.
lets try to take this step by step:
created a profile
took the campaign for AoA
clicked start/ ready room
the intro played (if you press esc it asks you if you want to quit this campaign)
then the game closed. that's it.
i can make a video if need, but here is the fs2_open.log (If that helps?)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Ok here I come.

Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet2\adv-bp2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4d6319c8
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet2\bp2-audio1.vp' with a checksum of 0x4f978a6b
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet2\bp2-compat.vp' with a checksum of 0x9c7d79f8
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet2\bp2-core.vp' with a checksum of 0x64e738b9
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals1.vp' with a checksum of 0xbaa4dbd6

You have successfully installed BP2. Yay !

But you have not installed BP1. Nay !

You need to have :
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet2\bp2-audio1.vp' with a checksum of 0xeb321cb1
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet2\bp2-compat.vp' with a checksum of 0x9c7d79f8
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet2\bp2-core.vp' with a checksum of 0x98bf1d75
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals1.vp' with a checksum of 0xc99ab742
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet2\bp2-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0x8f882861
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet\bp-audio1.vp' with a checksum of 0x58f866a1
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet\bp-audio2.vp' with a checksum of 0x213dcdf3
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet\bp-compat.vp' with a checksum of 0x6ef45eaf
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet\bp-core.vp' with a checksum of 0xe5b684cd
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals1.vp' with a checksum of 0x1604e6d1
Found root pack 'E:\Freespace2\blueplanet\bp-visuals2.vp' with a checksum of 0xcb7237b9

Also, with your GPU, you might want to get rid of
Found root pack 'C:\Games\Freespace 2\mediavps_3612\MV_AnimGlows.vp' with a checksum of 0x6a554026
for performance reasons.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras