Author Topic: Forum game: Rules/Discussion  (Read 163086 times)

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Re: Forum game: Rules/Discussion
But at what cost, Sir, at what cost?  :p

Seriously, though, if I reach Silva at T2, I will be at Odin / Aquarius on T3 and Vega / Hydra on T4, with Barrage or Defend ready. But there is absolutely nothing I can do prior to that.

So the front line fleets will need to survive for 3/4 turns before reinforcements can contribute in any way (even cover their retreat). That's 3 turns of battering. And if enemy forces concentrate their fire, they will probably be able to take down 1-2 defending fleets (especially if the Nordera go AAAAAARG KILLL EVERYTHING I DON'T CARE IF I DIEEEE). Remember that we have no info on their power figures or their traits i.e. we do not know how hard they hit.

'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

But at what cost, Sir, at what cost?  :p

Seriously, though, if I reach Silva at T2, I will be at Odin / Aquarius on T3 and Vega / Hydra on T4, with Barrage or Defend ready. But there is absolutely nothing I can do prior to that.

So the front line fleets will need to survive for 3/4 turns before reinforcements can contribute in any way (even cover their retreat). That's 3 turns of battering. And if enemy forces concentrate their fire, they will probably be able to take down 1-2 defending fleets (especially if the Nordera go AAAAAARG KILLL EVERYTHING I DON'T CARE IF I DIEEEE). Remember that we have no info on their power figures or their traits i.e. we do not know how hard they hit.

I imagine we'll learn the information we need about the power of the Cordera after the first turn is over. Which will allow us to plan accordingly in that way. But I'd be shocked if our fleets weren't flat out superior, and if we had any difficulty holding the line with our starting 10 fleets long enough for the others to back us up.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Spoon, anything in regards to obtaining intelligence about the enemy fleet, movements, reinforcements etcetc? Random chance or nup.
You'll have pretty reliable information about the enemy stats after the first engagement. Unfortunately for you guys it'll be a suprise what kind of enemy reinforcements will show up.

The extra damage if you get attacked on a resupply, do you know how that will work, how much extra damage?
5 extra damage for each time you resupplied.

Do the hierarchy fleets also pull back and resupply, or will they just come straight on until they die?
You'll have to see about that for yourself

A fluff question, if you'd please. What kind of carriers are the allied fleets using? The Guardian Angel was the only LSF carrier class mentioned in WoD as far as I recall, and there was only one in service during the war.
SF uses Champion class carriers (The one seen in Stranded), the CRF uses Champions in addition to their own Lord class ships (the ship briefly shown in the last vid in the wod dev blog thread). The UGC uses the Rhino and Elephant class ships, which are combined carriers and warships with the models being straight from Gundam 00&Dimensional Eclipse. DD has the Volya class ship (no pictures available atm)

Question: can a retreating enemy fleet be Blitzed? Does Blitz reduce 50% of what the enemy has (for example, if it has 4 out of 8 remaining, after the Blitz they have 2), or 50% of its maximum regardless of what strength they currently are at (for example, if the maximum is 16, and after a battle they retreat with 8, Blitz would deal the other 8 damage, destroying that fleet)?
You cannot Blitz a retreating enemy. Enioch is correct about the half damage part.

I have some questions about UGC Mercs :)

1) The ability says +50% fighters & +25% capital.  However, the base fleet stats seem to be increased by 75%/50%?
Gah, I can't believe this slipped through. Especially since I had already fixed one instance during posting yesterday!
It's 75%/50%, sorry about the confusion.

2) When the mercs contract ends where are losses taken from?  e.g.

Starting state with Mercs:
Fighters at 150%
Capital Ships at 125%

Fight, fight, fight, take losses
Fighters at 108% (42% losses)
Capital Ships at 90% (35% losses)

When the Mercs leave, is it:
a) Mercs take all losses
Fighters at 100%
Capital Ships at 90%

b) Relative split of losses between Mercs & Regulars (this probably makes the most sense to me)
Fighters at 72% (100 - 42 * 2/3, 50/100)
Capital Ships at 72% (100 - 35 * 1/5, 25/100)

c) Regulars take all losses
Fighters at 58%
Capital Ships at 65%

d) Something else?
B.

3) Similar question except for hiring mercs when below 100% strength. I'd guess that's as follows:

Starting with:
Fighters at 72%
Capital Ships at 72%

Hiring Mercs gives:
Fighters at 122% (72+50)
Capital Ships at 97% (72+25)

Instead of:
Fighters at 108% (72 * 1.5)
Capital Ships at 90% (92 * 1.25)
Correct, it adds a fixed amount of strength. The mercs do not scale with your fleet's current condition when you hire them.

4) Lastly, can you choose not to pay the upkeep in order to dismiss the Mercs early?  If you've taken a pounding & can retreat to resupply while other fleets hold the line, it would be good to avoid draining the resource pool.  On the other hand, if the contract must be for 3 turns, then No Retreating with Mercs Active!  Yaaaarrrrh!!

You can indeed dismiss the Mercs early if you so desire. But you'll have to wait out the cooldown before you can contract new ones.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Thanks Spoon. 5 damage isn't bad at all. It just essentially means you'd have replenished 25% instead of 30% or 50% instead of 60% and received and dealt a normal attack to the enemy.

Will there be any kind of roleplay elements to this Spoon? If so I was thinking we could have a roleplay thread, as well as this questions/strategy thread and the game thread itself.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Thanks Spoon. 5 damage isn't bad at all. It just essentially means you'd have replenished 25% instead of 30% or 50% instead of 60% and received and dealt a normal attack to the enemy.

Will there be any kind of roleplay elements to this Spoon? If so I was thinking we could have a roleplay thread, as well as this questions/strategy thread and the game thread itself.

Remember that you get morale hits every time that you get attacked on resupply.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Lorric

Remember that you get morale hits every time that you get attacked on resupply.

Ah yes, I was forgetting that, thanks, that is something much more serious.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That's entirely up to you guys. I won't force it but I will definitely welcome it.

So one question:
When I use prepare barrage will it hold until the next fight no matter how many turns it takes? Is the cooldown still running during that time? If yes can I use it again after 3 turns and get 4+4 damage (like the zeal ability stacking)?
Once you've prepared the barrage there is indeed no limit on the amount of turns it takes to the next battle. And the cooldown starts its count down after you've prepared it. However you cannot stack multiple barrages for massive bonuses.

So for example you could use prepare barrage on turn 3, then have your next battle at turn 8. The ability has come off of cooldown in this time so you can immediately use prepare barrage again in the next turn. This works the same for the LSF's Combined Arms

Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

REMF

Seen it enough now to google it. Not what I was expecting at all!  :lol:

Spoon, can you use Zeal if you're Zealous? Even if you can't get to +4, could you stack protection against morale drops?

On the RP, I encourage it, but I mean if you'll provide any? People to talk to us, report to us, and maybe we can talk back to. Can we talk to the Heirarchy? Will they talk to us? I'm particularly interesting if you'll lay out some sort of opening for us. A situation report. Or maybe even a demand for surrender from the heirarchy.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Spoon, can you use Zeal if you're Zealous? Even if you can't get to +4, could you stack protection against morale drops?
No

On the RP, I encourage it, but I mean if you'll provide any? People to talk to us, report to us, and maybe we can talk back to. Can we talk to the Heirarchy? Will they talk to us? I'm particularly interesting if you'll lay out some sort of opening for us. A situation report. Or maybe even a demand for surrender from the heirarchy.
Yes
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Lorric

Unsurprising.

Nice! I'm gonna have a chat with the Cordi... :)

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
How are those of us in reserve gonna get some? I don't think the others will leave some for us.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

Offline Lorric

How are those of us in reserve gonna get some? I don't think the others will leave some for us.

Don't worry. We'll have to pull back and replenish as we get whittled down, and if you're waiting right behind us, that will be your cue to jump into the battle in our places.

Offline Lorric

The main cannons on the Warrior and Inflexible had both unexpectedly shorted out during firing tests

Nice read, Lepanto. Me, I'm waiting till Spoon opens up the game for us before I try my hand at something like that, since I'm right at the front, I can't do it properly yet.

The highlighted bit I found funny just for one of the names you chose. Inflexible. That which does not bend is all the easier to break. And it broke... :)

Offline Lorric

That's it for now. I'm thinking about sprinting to the front line. This is exciting :)

Yes. Come and join me at Alderbaran :)

Exciting, yes. One after the other people are getting into the spirit of this. I think it has potential to be something special.

I thought a little bit about my tactical options. I'll probably move the fleet to Hydra as it is the only way to potentially get into combat during the first turn.

Unless the two Nordera fleets are ridiculously overpowered they will be pretty much obliterated at the end of turn 3 if they invade Draco or Hydra without further reinforcements. I suspect both fleets will either attack the same system doing heavy damage to the defending fleet (most likely 1st LSF in Draco) or spread with one fleet taking Algol and the other one trying keeping us away from Kardoen. I'm expecting at least 1 additional fleet within turn 1 or 2 and another one not later than turn 4 to keep us occupied (else Kardoen would be lost case for them with 5 fleets sitting around there).
Alternatively we might see a heavy push towards Aldebaran (or possibly Draco/Hydra) where the defending fleets have to retreat around turn 2 (before reinforcements are even there to engage actively in combat) opening up many fronts that can occupy all fleets including our reinforcements.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline Lorric

I thought a little bit about my tactical options. I'll probably move the fleet to Hydra as it is the only way to potentially get into combat during the first turn.

Unless the two Nordera fleets are ridiculously overpowered they will be pretty much obliterated at the end of turn 3 if they invade Draco or Hydra without further reinforcements. I suspect both fleets will either attack the same system doing heavy damage to the defending fleet (most likely 1st LSF in Draco) or spread with one fleet taking Algol and the other one trying keeping us away from Kardoen. I'm expecting at least 1 additional fleet within turn 1 or 2 and another one not later than turn 4 to keep us occupied (else Kardoen would be lost case for them with 5 fleets sitting around there).
Alternatively we might see a heavy push towards Aldebaran (or possibly Draco/Hydra) where the defending fleets have to retreat around turn 2 (before reinforcements are even there to engage actively in combat) opening up many fronts that can occupy all fleets including our reinforcements.

I'm worried about him sending everything to Aldebaran. With some new fleets showing up at Kardoen to block off reinforcements. It's the only thing that worries me. I'm confident we can handle anything else. And it's weird saying this because now he knows this!  :lol:

But hopefully, he'll act in a more role playing way than a trying to destroy us way.

Hydra seems the least valuable of the systems Spoon can invade. If it was me, I'd put you in Hydra like you want, and put the other two LSF fleets in Draco. I'd send the first CRF to Hydra and the 2nd DD to Draco.

And I got another question:
When there are multiple fleets in one system, does each of them fight for itself or can they act as a combined fleet with shared hitpoints/damage?
If the attacker can choose which of the defending fleets he wants to attack in a 3vs3 Situation one fleet might be nuked off the map in one turn (making such engagements very risky). This would be unrealistic if the defending fleets have similar orders.
Here goes scripting and copy paste coding
Freespace RTS Mod
Checkpoint/Shipsaveload script

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'm not too worried about Aldebaran, if the Nordera fleets go there I'm confident that the 1st UGC & 2nd CRF can hold them on the defence until the 1st/2nd/3rd SF fleets can arrive.  And that course of action gives the 1st/2nd LSF a chance to take Kardoen and make it a chokepoint.

Of course, if the Hierarchy are qualitatively inferior to our forces, then we can probably expect a *lot* of reinforcements piling in during the early turns, which will make life *interesting*.  At least they can only have 3 fleets in a system at a time...

Lastly, AMS, I see your point about 3v3 & concentrated fire, but IIRC to nuke a fleet out of existence in a single turn the opposition would need a combined attack strength of 100.  (i.e. approx 33 per fleet, or 22/22 Fighters/Capital).  Currently, only our UGC fleets with mercs can muster that sort of firepower, and we only have 2 of those fleets (although some other fleets base stats get close to that on the defence).  And if the Hierarchy are qualitatively inferior to our forces (there's that assumption again :nervous:) then we shouldn't need to worry about being on the receiving end of that.  For now.

* niffiwan waves hello to the Zy & Hertak...
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

I don't want to have to back up any further than Aquarius though as that creates a second front up top if they do take it.  If need be we can lose Draco and Vega but we cannot let the Hierarchy open a second front up top through Virgo.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
And I got another question:
When there are multiple fleets in one system, does each of them fight for itself or can they act as a combined fleet with shared hitpoints/damage?
If the attacker can choose which of the defending fleets he wants to attack in a 3vs3 Situation one fleet might be nuked off the map in one turn (making such engagements very risky). This would be unrealistic if the defending fleets have similar orders.
Fleets fight independently so it is indeed possible to focus fire on a single fleet to decimate it.
Rest assure however that I am not so cruel to one turn kill player fleets.

Torchwood asked what kind of ship types/names are in each fleet and I suppose it can't hurt to give you guys a list of names here.

Sol Force:
Fighters:
2nd Gen
 - Light: Dragonfly
 - Medium: Ray IIJS
 - Heavy: Tyrfing

3rd Gen
 - Light: Kaze-B
 - Medium: Ray III, Ray IIIE
 - Heavy: Caliburn

4th Gen
 - Light: Kaze II
 - Medium: Ray IV
 - Heavy: Clarent

Capital ships:
 - Light: Skirmisher
 - Medium: Challenger
 - Heavy: Crusader
 - Carrier: Champion

Delest Defense:
Fighters:
2nd Gen
 - Light: Cheburashka
 - Medium: Zhuravlik
 - Heavy: Shilo

3rd Gen
 - Light: Kaze-H, Spirt-Voz
 - Medium: Terminator, Ray IIIW
 - Heavy: Sodesuka

4th Gen
 - Light: Lastochka
 - Medium: Berkut
 - Heavy: -

Capital ships:
 - Light: -
 - Medium: Grazhdanin 
 - Heavy: Volya

Commonwealth Royal Fleet:
2nd Gen
 - Medium: Ray IIJS
 - Heavy: Tyrfing

3rd Gen
 - Light: Kaze-Page
 - Medium: Esquire, Ray IIIM3v
 - Heavy: Excalibur

4th Gen
 - Light: Hospitaler
 - Medium: Templar

Capital ships:
 - Light: Cavalier
 - Medium: Duke
 - Heavy/Carrier: Lord, Champion

UGC Regulars:
2nd Gen
 - Medium: Firefly

3rd Gen
 - Light: Kaze-B, Cheetah
 - Medium: Ray III, Leopard
 - Heavy: Caliburn, Tiger

4th Gen
 - Light: Sparrow
 - Medium: Hawk
 - Heavy: Eagle

Capital ships:
 - Light: -
 - Medium/Carrier: Rhino
 - Heavy/Carrier: Elephant

League Star Forces

Uses a mix of ships from all factions.

The SF, UGC and CRF each have a share of Hazel bombers in storage. While 'only 2nd gen', Hazel's are considered strategic bombers because of the bloody large amount of secondaries they carry. They didn't stopped producing bombers because they were ineffective but because of a set of agreed upon rules for the proxy wars that each faction has been involved in.
Bet the higher ups are going to regret that!
Anyway bombers are not a factor in this game for the forseeable future.

A large number of these are not yet actually ingame and probably won't be in the nearby future either. I'll apologize in advance to the admirals of the DD fleets that their fleet's combat footage may seem rather sparse compared to the others.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 06:18:32 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!