Author Topic: Forum game: Explanation/Recruiting  (Read 9903 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: Forum game: Explanation/Recruiting
Yay, we're all in! Two slots still up for grabs. I don't know if you'll need to, or want to, but if no one fills those slots, I would be interested in taking over a second fleet, if it is necessary.

I didn't realise so many people had chosen a name outside their HLP name for the Rear Admiral.

I like the look of all those flagship names all together like this, all these fleets listed together.

EDIT: I count 13/15 slots filled and 13 applications. I don't think you missed anyone.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm still debating participation or simply trying to figure out how to break the system from the outside.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Why not - put me down for the: United Guilds of Commerce! :)

Flagship: Inevitably Successful in All Circumstances ( :nervous: )
Fleet Name: The 88's
CO: Rear Admiral Yuen Ah Luc
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
Damnit, I was hoping I would be the only rich bastard.  :(
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
ayup, now you've got competition to see who can drain the most from the resource pool with Mercs :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

Flagship: Inevitably Successful in All Circumstances ( :nervous: )

I had thought of "Return on Investment" for the UGC Flagship if I got a second fleet and the UGC. Do you want to use that?

Anyway, your name is just tempting fate, you'll be the first one out of the game with that!  :D

EDIT: Just so you know, I don't know if it would make any difference with you, but it's not an original idea, the ship name was used in Colony Wars Red Sun here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Q9IIzOXRE

That video is amusing, since it is in French, and they say "Return on Investment". Couldn't they have translated "Return on Investment" into French?  :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:05:16 am by Lorric »

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Better not mess with the ISiAC, she sells Hellbore cannons and has just recently an excellent Keel-Verezy weapon system which is currently locked on your bridge.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ

Flagship: Inevitably Successful in All Circumstances ( :nervous: )  <----- Win.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Then it is settled. Let us hope that ship lives up to it's name! :)

So does that mean there's only one place left now?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Better not mess with the ISiAC, she sells Hellbore cannons and has just recently an excellent Keel-Verezy weapon system which is currently locked on your bridge.

And for just a little bit extra you can have Shiva Furnaces to go with your Hellbores! :D

(yes, I stole the name from StarControl2, it seemed appropriate for the UGC & the Universe)
----
----

Offline Lorric

Ah, I didn't realise it was from Star Control 2. Very fitting then, both for the faction, and since WoD takes such inspiration from that game.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
United Guilds of Commerce Regulars: 1/2
1st Fleet - 'I'll get back to you on that' under the command of Rear Admiral Andrew Bradwater on the flagship Garuda
:lol:

Flagship: Inevitably Successful in All Circumstances ( :nervous: )  <----- Win.
Agreed; now we all need to make sure that the Inevitably Successful in All Circumstances lives up to its name. :P
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Let's just hope we don't have to redefine "success" and/or "all circumstances" in order for that to be true :p
----
----

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
[heavy russian accent]And I sup-pose I take up mantle of command for 3rd DD fleet [/heavy russian accent]:

Flagship: Katyusha
Admiral: Ivan Dimitrievic Kalazonitov
Can we choose traits yet?

Question: I've been checking out the commander traits, and wondering about morale scales. Does +1 morale mean that a charismatic leader would neutralize the -1 morale penalty of the DD?

Other question: Can one resupply in a contested system before securing it? I.e., if I am smashing in the face of the Nordera and find out that I am running out of cannon fodder my brave men and women are sustaining casualties, can I resupply with my Minor Action and keep smashing in the Nory headz with my Major?

EDIT: Third Question: Do we have any intel on enemy special abilities?

EDIT2: Fourth Question: Can I resupply twice in the same turn (Major + Minor)?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:39:36 am by Enioch »
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
[heavy russian accent]And I sup-pose I take up mantle of command for 3rd DD fleet [/heavy russian accent]:

Flagship: Katyusha
Admiral: Ivan Dimitrievic Kalazonitov
Can we choose traits yet?
No, you choose traits when promoted

Question: I've been checking out the commander traits, and wondering about morale scales. Does +1 morale mean that a charismatic leader would neutralize the -1 morale penalty of the DD?
Yes.

Other question: Can one resupply in a contested system before securing it? I.e., if I am smashing in the face of the Nordera and find out that I am running out of cannon fodder my brave men and women are sustaining casualties, can I resupply with my Minor Action and keep smashing in the Nory headz with my Major?
No, you have to be in a friendly system to resupply.

EDIT: Third Question: Do we have any intel on enemy special abilities?
Not yet

EDIT2: Fourth Question: Can I resupply twice in the same turn (Major + Minor)?
Yes
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Veers

Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
No, you have to be in a friendly system to resupply.

Ah, but what if I am defending? Say the Nordies attack my system and they do NOT secure it, but, instead, attack me. Can I defend and keep resupplying with their fleet in-system?

Oh, and must I destroy all enemy fleets before securing the system, or can I spend a major to secure it while there are still enemy forces present in the field?
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Seems like all slots are filled up for now. I'll open up the rules/discussion thread tomorrow!

Ah, but what if I am defending? Say the Nordies attack my system and they do NOT secure it, but, instead, attack me. Can I defend and keep resupplying with their fleet in-system?

Oh, and must I destroy all enemy fleets before securing the system, or can I spend a major to secure it while there are still enemy forces present in the field?
  Once they enter the system you are in, this system becomes contested. You cannot secure a system that has enemy fleets in it.
I'll elaborate on all these things in the other thread.

Urutorahappī!!