Author Topic: MISSION - Attacking a Hertak Armageddon  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Lorric

MISSION - Attacking a Hertak Armageddon
This was partially inspired by what ShivanSpS did here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85350.0

And Spoon's forum game videos.

It's a set piece fleet battle I made for fun. Just watch and enjoy. Results can vary, so feel free to repeat, it's not rigid by any means. Your ship is protected so don't worry about being attacked.

Just drop the mission in your WoD missions folder and select it through the techroom.

I personally was running the mission on Insane.

The mission file is attached.

Enjoy! :D

Demonstration video of a battle below. And lucky for me I got a good battle at the first time of asking! :)

Ignore the initial problems, they go away. Something weird happens near the start a moment, this never happens again. There’s some slowdown when the battle starts, this never happens again. You can hear me hitting keys (I’m sat right behind my tripod which is filming the monitor) this becomes MUCH less pronounced once the battle joins.

Before anyone says anything about quality, that’s the best I can do. All your quality issues will vanish if you download the mission! :)

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:53:52 pm by Lorric »

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Re: MISSION - Attacking a Hertak Armageddon
Well, it had some straightforward fighting and LAZORS, which can definitely be fun.

A couple constructive criticisms, though. All the ships were on the same plane; it would've looked better if some of them were on different angles. Also, the LSF capital ships attacked the Armageddon head-on and were spaced too far apart to attack it together, so the Armageddon killed them all without taking much damage.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Lorric

Well, it had some straightforward fighting and LAZORS, which can definitely be fun.

A couple constructive criticisms, though. All the ships were on the same plane; it would've looked better if some of them were on different angles. Also, the LSF capital ships attacked the Armageddon head-on and were spaced too far apart to attack it together, so the Armageddon killed them all without taking much damage.
Perhaps I shall try to improve it at some point. The first point is simply laziness on my part since it works okay without doing that, but I agree it would look better. The second part was deliberate, I wanted to make the Hertak look good! :)

The Hertak will usually win this battle, but the Terrans can win too sometimes, I've seen them win it 3 times. If it was a crushing win for the Hertak, I'd advise trying it again. That's no fun. Better to get a closer battle, which is fun. The Armageddon's attack order is not rigid, and it's beams sometimes miss. The best one I had was the Hertak Armageddon alone at the end with 5% hull strength, all the Ravagers destroyed.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:32:29 pm by Lorric »

Offline Lorric

I’ve made a Youtube video of this. I’ve placed it in the OP.