Author Topic: Magically skipped a mission  (Read 1304 times)

Magically skipped a mission
Hello forum,

I was playing FS2_open, playing mission Exodus. I had to go so after 2 minutes of playing I quit. When I returned to play FS2 again and resumed my campaign, I was shown a briefing for another mission (Dunkerque), which is the next mission. I didn't finish Exodus, so how can it skip to Dunkerque? I can't find it in the Mission Simulator either. Is there a way to reverse this so I can continue normally?

Offline Yarn

Re: Magically skipped a mission
Please generate and post your fs2_open.log as described in this post (read it thoroughly). While running the debug build, do load the mission; viewing the briefing is sufficient.

Also, did you switch from 3.6.18 (or earlier) to 3.7.0 sometime after playing Exodus and before the problem occurred? I'm asking because 3.7.0 introduced a new format for pilot files, and the pilot conversion may still have bugs (especially if you switched to an "RC" version).
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Here's my debug log as an attachment.
Also, no I don't think I have. I downloaded FS2_open for the first time about 5 days ago. So I don't think I have switched versions, since there was not a previous installation of FS2_open on my system.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Yarn

First, some cleanup:

Code: [Select]
FreeSpace version: 3.6.12
3.6.12 is old. Get the brand-new 3.7.0 version here. Before doing so, however, disable the following options in the launcher since they're now obsolete:
  • Enable specular
  • Enable glowmaps
  • Enable environment maps
  • Enable mipmapping
  • Enable normal maps

Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2\...
This location is problematic for a number of reasons. Move your installation out of Program Files and to a short path like C:\Games\FreeSpace2.

Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2\data\movies\tango1_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x4c25221e
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2\data\movies\tango2_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x86920b82
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2\data\movies\tango3_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x705e8d71
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2\data\movies\tangoA_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x2e10c984
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2\data\movies\tangoB_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0x0a5f4659
Found root pack 'C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Freespace 2\data\movies\warble_fs2.vp' with a checksum of 0xd85c305d
Delete these files.

Unfortunately for you, it sounds like the pilot campaign file is messed up slightly, so this can't really be fixed without hex-editing or restarting the campaign. However, one way to work around this is to go to the mission simulator and press Ctrl+Shift+S to display all missions. You should then be able to play Exodus from there. Once you've finished that mission, you can go to the ready room to continue the campaign.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Okay. I will disable the highlighted options, update FS2_open, delete the files and move the folder somewhere else.
I read on the wiki that a medal is earned by playing Exodus. Can I still earn this medal playing the mission through the simulator?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:08:43 pm by Braxator »

Offline Yarn

I read on the wiki that a medal is earned by playing Exodus. Can I still earn this medal playing the mission through the simulator?
No, you can't. If you really want that medal, then you need to either restart the campaign or hex-edit the pilot campaign file to put you back at Exodus. You can also upload the contents of your data\players folder (after loading your pilot in 3.7.0) and perhaps someone can fix your pilot file.
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Alright. I will ask in advance: Would anyone volunteer for editing my pilot file?

Also, thank you for your help, Yarn. I must confess that I didn't expect much help because of bad experiences with "helpdesks" on other forums, but your posts have been very informative and conclusive. Thank you. :)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think it'll be easier to hex-edit add the medal than hex-edit wind the campaign back one mission.  If you're happy with that, I'll give it a go.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Sure. I can play Exodus in the mission simulator, as long as I've got my shiny medal.  :p
I'll attach my pilot files to a post later today, ok? :)