Author Topic: If Doom Was Done Today...  (Read 6564 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Re: If Doom Was Done Today...
On the mention of QTE's and their sucking/not sucking

Heavy Rain
Go
"No"

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
I just played through Doom1 a few days ago for the very first time and I thought it was amazing.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£

i kinda disagree about multiplayer. i mean there are still people out there who make and play doom maps. and sometimes im like, i feel like a game of doom, clear 3 maps and i put it away for another year.

before q3a came out fps games had everything. good multi, good sp. look at how badass quake2's game modes were. you could do sp, coop, dm, ctf, whatever. after q3a/ut came out games were either made for multiplayer or singleplayer exclusively. sp games went story driven (and eventually sandbox) and mp games went for multi arena and class based team play multi. so the fps genre has a been fractured into a ****ton of subgenres.

Well, in a way that's the Bethesda effect, they saw the FPS engines, and realised that, with work, an engine like that would provide an entirely new way of presenting Role Playing Games that fulfilled the fantasies of every D&D player out there. Now you could not simply watch your character, you could be your character.

The interesting part is that the whole divergence of types is actually starting to blend back into itself, where we now get games like Fallout or Borderlands which, whilst wearing a 'Sandbox RPG' mask, are really Sandbox FPS games in my opinion. I'll note here that it's perfectly possible for a FPS to have an excellent storyline, this is not an observation on that so much as an opinion that Role Playing is not the same as 'Level Grinding', a fact that does not always survive the transfer to computer very well.

I think ID were perfectly aware of the multiplay potential of Doom when they created it, but technology got in the way, the only real way for most people to play was by Serial lead, which was a pain. In many ways, despite the fact that Multiplay was difficult, it was the multiplay that helped keep it alive far longer than, say Blakestone or even Wolfenstein which didn't have the ability iirc.

It's difficult because there are exceptions to the rule, the Elder Scrolls series were all about level grinding, but when they tried to create a system to mitigate that effect, it didn't go down too well, Borderlands have stories that are part of a larger plot, which suggests roleplaying elements, but all wrapped up in an arcade-style shooter etc.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
...the only real way for most people to play was by Serial lead...

Iunno, DWANGO was pretty darn popular.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It was certainly popular in the US, but for most countries outside it, dialing Houston was not really a cost effective option. I remember that we had to move my computer to my brothers' room to even play by Serial lead, what with signal degradation being what it was at the time. ID could certainly see the potential of Doom multiplay at the time, but they also knew that, given the technological landscape at the time, more people would be playing it single-player.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
multiplayer really hit big with quake though. by then almost everyone who owned a computer had internet access. so a copy of quake pretty much right out of the box had netplay support. the catch was you had to know the ip of the server. it was easy to find a quake server with search fu (i dont think we even had google yet). doom on the other hand was a pita to set up for multi. lan or otherwise.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
multiplayer really hit big with quake though. by then almost everyone who owned a computer had internet access. so a copy of quake pretty much right out of the box had netplay support. the catch was you had to know the ip of the server. it was easy to find a quake server with search fu (i dont think we even had google yet). doom on the other hand was a pita to set up for multi. lan or otherwise.
And thus gamespy was born.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Enjoy democracy in heaven. Oh yes, there is a new one.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
An4x, I think you're terribly addicted to youtube. You need to ease off man, withdraw.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Lorric

An4x, I think you're terribly addicted to youtube. You need to ease off man, withdraw.
No, let him loose! He's hit and miss, but I like the steady stream of videos.

Offline Luis Dias

I played doom with direct connect cables, you know the ones we could use to connect to printers? Now THAT was awesome :D

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I played doom with direct connect cables, you know the ones we could use to connect to printers? Now THAT was awesome :D

did serial link back in the day, a pig to set up but the lols on nightmare was awesome
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

these things are so wanky it's unbelievable
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
these things are so wanky it's unbelievable

yep but back in the mid 90s when networks went commonplace in homes you took what you had, and the results when it was working were ace
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Since the thread has been bumped...

"Amateur" does not mean "bad".  If I recall correctly, GTVA Command's VA got picked up a few blocks from where they were recording because they liked the sound of his voice.  That is the very defintion of amateur.  Granted, there was also Robert Loggia and Ronnie Cox, but that's why I said a step above, instead of just plain amateur.

Well, Command was voiced by a guy who was also was an announcer for a local radio station.  So not actually amateur.

The definition of amateur is that you don't make a living from it.  That doesn't necessarily conflict with finding somebody a few blocks away.

Random note: the Volition interview thread that I attempted to refresh my info on seems to have been fairly destroyed by something.  It ended three words into the first answer, and I'm not sure why.

Which thread is this?  If it was due to the character encoding problems last year, it should be fixed.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
(i dont think we even had google yet).

Lycos was launched in 1994, Yahoo! in 1995, Dogpile in 1996, Google in 1998.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
quake came out in '96, so yea, we didnt have google.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN