Author Topic: Crash on WiH Act 3, Mission 2  (Read 7538 times)

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
Re: Crash on WiH Act 3, Mission 2
Holy ****. Millions of kilometers away? And why would there be a Alastor warping in, anyway? It connected to anything in the mission?

WTF!?!  Alastors are Warp-Capable???  Does it have an AI-  WAIT! I know, it's connected to CASSANDRA!!!

On a more serious note, isn't that distance CRAZY STUPID Far Away?  The number itself is overlapping the rest of the wording.  So from a coding perspective, if there are lines of code that are looking for a number between 1-100000 as distance and that turret is spitting out that ridiculous number, wouldn't that break the code?  Or if there are loops of code that take that distance and this big number is creating a huge load on the calculations of the statements, then the distance would matter as higher magnitudes of 10 would make the code work that much harder.

Well in any case I find it hard to believe that the creator of this mission had his finger on the zoom out key for around an hour in FRED until it reached a ridiculous number, and then the same author placed a sentry there by accident.  .  .  .  Wait a minute...THIS COULD ACTUALLY HAPPEN!!!

(TY AdmiralRalwood, I guess I do have to stick with BP-specific code)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM

Offline Yarn

So niffiwan, using the normal build with the BP2 compatibility package is the same as using a BP2 build?  If that's the case then it would make things easier for me to apply the Yarn patch to the current build.
My patch and the BP patch do not interfere with each other, so applying both should be easy enough.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Or someone could have opened the mission in notepad and manually entered a huge position value :D

Also, (for interests sake only) FSO measures co-ordinates as a 32bit float, so it can represent up to something like 3.4 × 10^38 without overflow... but you get significant precision problems before you get anywhere near that sort of distance.  In fact, given the distance at which the Alastor was at I would have expected it to be "vibrating" in space.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Or someone could have opened the mission in notepad and manually entered a huge position value

Yeah, I know this would be easy to fake, but in all honesty this is what really happened. I don't know the exact moment when this warping occurred. It seems I'm just a glitch magnet :P

I noticed that I'm not the only one experiencing microlag in this mission. Here is a youtube video from another guy. Pattern with occasional slowups is almost the same and it starts near the end of the video and never stops. You can easily spot it by observing the movement of missiles launched from the Karunas. It's not caused by the overall action / number of ships, since it continues even after the majority are destroyed. More likely there is a script that is proving to be a bottleneck.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Or someone could have opened the mission in notepad and manually entered a huge position value
Yeah, I know this would be easy to fake, but in all honesty this is what really happened. I don't know the exact moment when this warping occurred. It seems I'm just a glitch magnet :P

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you'd done that, rather that there are easier ways of putting a ship that far out rather than holding down a button in FRED for minutes :)

As for the microlag/stuttering, I believe that some people have noticed that almost since act3 was released.  We don't seem to have been able to find the cause yet :(
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Could the lag be just a part of using low end machines? There are quite a few beams and lasers and missile flying around at once for most of the mission and when that's finished you have to deal with the huge debris field, especially if you're like me and make sure every ship is destroyed and the Carthage is disabled before ending the mission.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Could the lag be just a part of using low end machines?

I think Core i7 920 @ 3,3 Ghz, 6 GB DDR3 and Geforce GTX 770 handles FSO just fine. I played that humorous Freespace 3: Search For Bosch campaign at one point and it had HUNDREDS of ships in some missions and there still wasn't microlag. So it must be a script that is bottlenecking the system, not the overall action or amount of ships in WiH Act 3 M05.

Look at the video I posted. Especially parts like 36:50 and 41:30. The fps jumps from stable to zero, to stable, to zero etc.. With only 1-2 second intervals.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Could the lag be just a part of using low end machines?

I think Core i7 920 @ 3,3 Ghz, 6 GB DDR3 and Geforce GTX 770 handles FSO just fine. I played that humorous Freespace 3: Search For Bosch campaign at one point and it had HUNDREDS of ships in some missions and there still wasn't microlag. So it must be a script that is bottlenecking the system, not the overall action or amount of ships in WiH Act 3 M05.

Look at the video I posted. Especially parts like 36:50 and 41:30. The fps jumps from stable to zero, to stable, to zero etc.. With only 1-2 second intervals.

Here's an experiment: Can you record another video, this time using the "-profile_frame_time" commadline argument?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Here's an experiment: Can you record another video, this time using the "-profile_frame_time" commadline argument?

Done. I also removed the Compatibility vps and used the newest BP build (14th november), added execptions to my Antivirus and disabled VSync. Fraps was showing a solid 100+ fps in the beginning.

This time the lagging started when I was nearing the Arcadia in the order to inspect comms (=upload virus). You know, the part where those AA -beams try to fire you without lock. Fraps couldn't quite keep up with the constant fps changes (it remains 55-60 fps throughout the captured video). FS_open's own "simulation fps" changed rapidly from 44 to 88 all the time, not having the time either to get close to zero. My video shows a few seconds of missiles traveling. The microlagging is a bit more bareable this time, but it's still annoying as hell for rude perfectionists like me :P The strangest thing is that I STILL haven't encountered this microlag in other missions.

BTW I think you should change the position of those game engine overview statistics. Right now, they overlap annoyingly with the objectives gauge.

P.S Today I also completed the Act 3. Wow, the final "mission" was just intense!! :eek2: Overall ACT 3 had far more varied and advanced missions than anything before. They definitely weren't some random fly/shoot missions that you just could run through. You had to actually use some brain :) The difficulty of "Her finest hour" is my only complain. I have completed it several times now, and end up with 100 % reinforcements casualties every time, even though I really try to micromanage everything :/

Big props for one of the best fanmade mods ever, in any game!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:27:47 am by Lykurgos88 »

Should I create a new topic called "Lykurgos' bug collection"?

Because I seem to run into one bug after another. This time I was just goofing around, playing some missions via the Tech Room simulator. The exact combination this time was the last mission of Act 2 ja then the intro (Icarus) of Act3. The game crashed when it was loading Icarus. I reproduced the error again using the debugger and this is what I got:

Code: [Select]
ASSERTION: "Polygon_models[num]->id == model_num" at modelread.cpp:3244
 Index collision between model sunbox.pof and requested model 2705. Please backtrace and investigate.

Int3(): From d:\fso\scp bp\code\globalincs\windebug.cpp at line 1040

I also attached the whole log file.

BTW, with regards to the "Her Finest Hour" microlag, this guy got it too: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=83902

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline MachManX

• The Fight Never Ends...This Is A Fact Of Life!
Speaking of glitch magnets and bugs, I have a friend who somehow manages to corrupt technology by simply using it.  Doesn't happen all the time, but it's quite something.  One incident was a computer in college lab with the program Multisim, an electronics circuit simulation program.  We were simulating Op Amps and technically the Max Output voltage is limited to the rails, which were set at + and - 15V.  But for some reason, only on the computer he was using, the output voltage exceeded the rails :o .  I was building the physical circuit and I didn't notice this until the end of lab, and he was being all pride-like and trying to solve the problem without my help.  That computer is, to this day, unfixed :o
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:21:36 pm by MachManX »
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
B450I GAMING PLUS AC
Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
16GB DDR4-3600
WD SN750 1TB NVME
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
Corsair HX520W PSU
Cougar QBX Case
NEC V422 42" @ 1080p
Ubuntu 20.04 + Whatever I VM