Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 14814 times)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I'd say that Dwarf Fortress adventure mode dwarfs (pun not intended) Daggerfall, but Daggerfall is a great example of the strengths and weaknesses of procedural generation.

It's also a case where a combo (main quest and capitals hand made, rest of world is mostly procedural) would have worked best. But "theme park" world design seems to have taken over most RPGs.

Still, imagine Skyrim's art assets used in a Daggerfall style world generation...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'd say that Dwarf Fortress adventure mode dwarfs (pun not intended) Daggerfall, but Daggerfall is a great example of the strengths and weaknesses of procedural generation.

There's only a mild difference in capability between the systems these two games were built on.  Dwarf Fortress also doesn't even bother with permanent generated cities and dungeons.  As far as I know, there isn't a single city/dungeon/whatever that every single Dwarf Fortress world shares, which is the whole point of Dragon's post.

tl;dr Daggerfall isn't 100% procedurally generated and that's a good thing.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Exactly my point. Procedural generation can't do everything, but it doesn't have to be used for everything, either. A fully procedural game like Dwarf Fortress or Evochron Mercenary has to capture player by gameplay only - there's no place to experience a story. On the other hand, it's perfectly possible to set a story in a mostly procedural world. It can range from a scripted main quest with randomized locations to a handmade world built "on top" of the procedural engine. And I wish more games were like that. Another neat trick is running a procedural generator once and then fixing the seed, meaning you can make a handmade event/environment in a procedural (but nor randomized) location.
Still, imagine Skyrim's art assets used in a Daggerfall style world generation...
Believe me, I did. :) This was kind of what I hoped for for TES: Online, but it doesn't seem to live up to these expectations (well, that, and it's a bloody expensive subscription. Hopefully it'll go FTP someday before it dies...), at least, not yet. Skyrim's radiant quest mechanic already resembles what Arena and Daggerfall could do - namely, randomly generate minor, if a bit repetitive quests. While making cities the size of those in Daggerfall might be a bit beyond today's hardware (remember how many inhabitants they had!), it should be possible at some point in the future to match the scale of Daggerfall with then-modern graphics.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Looks pretty but what's the actual gameplay. The starfighter combat didn't seem that compelling.
Will wait and see.

Offline ShivanSpS

The thing with the game is that sounds suspicious that a small company like Hello Games with no experience in anything like this will decide to go and build his own game engine to make the game, that does not make sence to me.

It looks like Unity to me, hell it even has the same particles fog/sun effects and 2D grass like Planet Explorers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXANFZkcO4

1:14 you can see the grass is a "2D always face me".
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:13:47 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline Luis Dias

It's definitely not Unity. And it's definitely homemade. Even if it used Unity they would have had to build a lot of technology on top of it (the procedural "no loading screen" stuff).

You speak as if people are incapable of producing 3d engines, it's not that hard to do, a lot of documentation is available nowadays. A lot of libraries are available. Look at the Limit Theory dude, who is barely an adult and yet he single headedly built his own 3d engine and it's quite a beautiful one. This is not the 90s anymore.

It looks like Unity to me, hell it even has the same particles fog/sun effects and 2D grass like Planet Explorers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXANFZkcO4

1:14 you can see the grass is a "2D always face me"

Of course, these are standard billboard procedures. Even advanced engines like CryEngine are full of 2D billboards, and all these particle effects are standard.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, building your own 3D engine is remarkably easy these days. There's tons of how-tos and middleware out there that you can use; and what Luis says is also true. Unity isn't well-suited to build an infinite world (as the KSP devs found out), if you try to build an infinite world game using it, you'll be spending so much time hacking up workarounds that building your own engine will end up faster and easier.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline ShivanSpS

Im not so sure yet, i played a lot of Unity games(hell im doing one) and i can smell them.
Also why so sure its that easy to make an engine? it took Egosoft 7 years to build up the really bad X-Rebirth + game engine, a way bigger company, with a lot more experience making a way simplier game.

The are 2 mayor problems with Unity with an infinite world 1) buggy 64-bit physics 2) old Physx lib, i may add old mono lib too. These problems are going away hopefully in Unity 5.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:09:42 pm by ShivanSpS »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Im not so sure yet, i played a lot of Unity games(hell im doing one) and i can smell them.
Also why so sure its that easy to make an engine? it took Egosoft 7 years to build up the really bad X-Rebirth + game engine, a way bigger company, with a lot more experience making a way simplier game.
Egosoft had a lot of experience with making a terrible game engine. It took them 4 sequels to get to the point where their old game engine had a tolerable user interface.

Egosoft is a really bad example of anything, basically.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Actually they're a really good example of how not to do things, like design a UI.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline ShivanSpS

I disagree, X2 and all X3 has been good games, X-R is the result of them not wanting to risk making an X4 due to cost.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Because making a game engine is really easy now compared to ten years ago. The APIs have changed and been simplified over the years, we now have a bunch of standard libraries that we didn't have back then, and there's a large community of game developers out there willing to share the tricks of the trade.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Genre-spanning-knowledge. Like a Meta-HLP?

That makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Luis Dias

Don't forget they had already made their own 3d engine prior to this (their "joe danger" was also home made).

Offline Luis Dias

From the latest awards show:

and

Offline Luis Dias

So this was kinda way more interesting than what they (didn't) show at E3:

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Exactly my point. Procedural generation can't do everything, but it doesn't have to be used for everything, either. A fully procedural game like Dwarf Fortress or Evochron Mercenary has to capture player by gameplay only - there's no place to experience a story. On the other hand, it's perfectly possible to set a story in a mostly procedural world. It can range from a scripted main quest with randomized locations to a handmade world built "on top" of the procedural engine. And I wish more games were like that. Another neat trick is running a procedural generator once and then fixing the seed, meaning you can make a handmade event/environment in a procedural (but nor randomized) location.
Believe me, I did. :) This was kind of what I hoped for for TES: Online, but it doesn't seem to live up to these expectations (well, that, and it's a bloody expensive subscription. Hopefully it'll go FTP someday before it dies...), at least, not yet. Skyrim's radiant quest mechanic already resembles what Arena and Daggerfall could do - namely, randomly generate minor, if a bit repetitive quests. While making cities the size of those in Daggerfall might be a bit beyond today's hardware (remember how many inhabitants they had!), it should be possible at some point in the future to match the scale of Daggerfall with then-modern graphics.

Look at how many inhabitants Assassin's Creed 1's cities have.