Author Topic: Help with Freespace 2 running in Ubuntu 12.04. Ship models are bright white  (Read 1282 times)

Help with Freespace 2 running in Ubuntu 12.04. Ship models are bright white
Hi, I have been searching the forum looking for a similar problem that has been fixed before but no luck.

I am running Freespace 2 in wine with Ubuntu 12.04. Game loads fine (I have also installed the babylon project), run fine but all the ship models in the tech room and the game itself shine a bright white most of the time (unless my ship gets really close then they sometimes dim and I am able to see the detail).

I  have re-installed freespace 3 times now and no difference. I'm now thinking its to do with graphics driver, is there something I can do with driconf to help fix this? I did try and install new graphics drivers but black screened the laptop so had to re-install Ubuntu from scratch! (the laptop runs intel graphics drivers from what I can tell)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

MrV

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Help with Freespace 2 running in Ubuntu 12.04. Ship models are bright white
Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Also, if you could post screenshots, that might help.

In addition, you really should use the Linux native builds to run FS on Linux, it's a much better and less error-prone way than going through wine.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Hi, Screenshot showing the white models is attached, the log file is also attached (as it exceeded maximum message size)

I'm a bit new to Linux so went fot what I thought was an easier option but if the Linux native builds would help I'll try anything!

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Code: [Select]
  OpenGL Vendor    : Intel Open Source Technology Center
  OpenGL Renderer  : Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
  OpenGL Version   : 2.1 Mesa 9.0.3

This is your problem, essentially. Intel GPUs are notoriously unreliable when trying to execute Shader code; Given that our shaders rely on features found in OpenGL 3/4 compliant hardware, and yours is only rated for OpenGL 2.1, you will need to disable shaders on your system. In the Launcher's troubleshooting section, there should be an option to disable Shaders altogether, if you can't find it, you nseed to pass the -no_glsl parameter to the executable.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Thanks for your help, will try that now, also attached is another screenshot showing the model brightness when near by

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Thank you so much for your help, I've been struggling for days with the issue and you've just fixed it!
In the wxlauncher I just disabled GLSL Shader support and its looking much better (and easier on the eyes)

Thanks again

MrV

( I will also look into the Linux Native builds )