Author Topic: How to boost IL-2 1946's graphics?  (Read 47700 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
How to boost IL-2 1946's graphics?
I love the IL-2 series and I've been having fun with IL-2 1946 for months. I don't make a big deal of the game's outdated graphics, but if possible I would like to boost them. I did some search and I found out that there are so many mods around, most of which are tricky to install and some may even cause problems.

I'm pretty sure there are other IL-2 players here on HLP who can help me out.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Re: How to boost IL-2 1946's graphics?
I tried a mod, it was many gigabytes in size, but I didn't notice any difference in graphics, so I probably installed it wrong. So yeah, tricky indeed.

I'd be interested in the answer to this question as well, my Continuation War has been stalled for a while now.

EDIT: Alternately, try Wings of Prey or Il-2: Cliffs of Dover
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:44:35 am by Scourge of Ages »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
IL-2 modding is a bit more convoluted (and fractured) than FS2 modding but mostly because the game itself needs a bit of modification to get it to read mods from non-stock places and there is nothing like source code project going on, so the core executable doesn't really change.

Instead, there is some limited amount of DLL modding going on for some specific purposes (which I will mention later), but most of the game changing modding is done with java coding. Lots of things can be done and there's some pretty interesting mods around, but compatibility problems are often a problem trying to get mods to play nice with each other.

The bulk of asset modding is very similar to what FSO modding is like - making new aircraft, textures and maps, but a big scene is also skinning, and it is much harder to get a fully featured aircraft modded in IL-2 than putting a new ship to FSO (largely because of model format, animations for control surfaces, landing gear, cockpit model, etc. etc.)

So.

The first thing you need to do for getting mods for IL-2 is to actually have a way to activate mods. This is usually referred to as mod activator and all mod packs share some version of this.

Current major mod packs for the latest version of IL-2 1946 (version 4.12.1m) are HSFX 6 and SAS ModAct 5.3.

Mod packs for older version of IL-2 include UltraPack 3 and Dark Blue World (DBW for short).

What you should get depends on how you want to fly. Some mod packs are designed for single player use. Some are for both single and multiplayer use, but are only compatible with servers running that particular mod pack.

If you want the benefits of using the latest official game version (4.12.1) then your selection of mods is practically limited to SAS ModAct and HSFX.

The main difference between these two is that SAS ModAct is a barebones mod activator (although it does come with a compilation of very useful mods) and you will probably want to build up your modded game installation by yourself.

HSFX 6 is a more "complete" package. However it is designed primarily for use with HSFX servers. The main selling point of HSFX is that it is supposed to be compatible with stock servers in the basic mode (although there are some inconvenient errors with this), but it also has a so-called "expert mode" which is supposed to change the flight models of certain aircraft to a more realistic direction. Obviously, this mode is only compatible with HSFX expert mode servers, which are not very common. The HSFX expert mode is mostly used in multiplayer events known as SEOW events, which are basically co-operative multiplayer team vs team events in a persistent scenario.

Most multiplayer servers however use stock game, and although some of them allow mods to be used, you obviously need to be using a mod that doesn't change flight models or other such gameplay features.

So, if you intend to play multiplayer, I would say SAS ModAct and associated mods are the best way to go. If you don't care much about single player you can pick anything; however I would recommend HSFX 6 over UltraPack, since it uses the most modern version of IL-2.

Most mod packs are pretty similar as far as installation is concerned. Regardless of what you install, you should ALWAYS install a mod over a clean, unmodded IL-2 directory of correct version. So, if you want to install HSFX 6, you make a clean unmodded copy of IL-2 4.12.1, and install the mod on that directory.

Uninstallation of mods is possible in theory but generally not recommended because it's really easy to miss something, and mods generally don't come with "uninstallation" utilities. Because of this, it's advisable to always have a clean unmodded copy of IL-2 around, which you can then copy into a new directory and apply mods on that.

After a mod has been installed, it likely needs to be activated. In your modded installation, you should find a tool called JSGME.exe (generic mod enabler). Run that. Move appropriate mods from left to right. Run game to check your mods are running.

That's the basic mod management in a nutshell.

For installing custom additions to mods, you need to delve a bit deeper into how your particular mods work. SAS ModAct for example creates a directory called #SAS and makes the game load all data in that particular directory, so you can add your custom modifications there in contained directories. HSFX6 likewise reads data from MODS directory.

However, installing some of the mods such as additional aircraft usually also involves manually editing certain table files in the main data structure of the modded game, because this game never gained any kind of modular table system. So if you wanted to install an aircraft, you'll need to drop in the data files on the activated mod directory, and then read the installation instructions in the readme which usually contains the lines to add to files such as air.ini, plane_ru.properties, and weapon_ru.properties, for example. So it can be a lot more complicated than just getting a ship mod to work on FSO, but you'll just need to deal with it.

For graphics updates: There are some limitations as to how far you can push IL-2 before it dies in agony. Most of the graphical updates come simply from better textured maps. The stock game has hard-coded texture size limits that are different for particular files - for example, plane textures can only be up to 1024² while something like water textures can only be 256²; as an added insult, stock game only supports indexed 256-colour files for plane skins... The highest texture size altogether is 1024², and that sets some pretty severe limits for content creators as you certainly understand. Regardless, with good textures, the game can look a lot better than stock.

However, there is an unofficial mod for bumping the texture limit to 2048² for pretty much anything, as well as enabling 24-bit textures for skins. It is a DLL mod that basically replaces some of the libraries used by the game with ones that have some limits changed. If you have a good graphics card, you'll likely be able to use it with great success.

I'll put up some links soon on a separate post, but I would like to see what kind of flying do you plan to do so I don't need to link you to everything... :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:17:08 am by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Thank you Herra, I forgot to say that I only play the single player mode so I don't need mods focused on multi. Can you provide pics snd useful links? If I got it right, before I install a mod I need to create and keep an unmodded folder of IL-2 as a backup, and that requires over 1GB... I can do that only if it's worth it. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Some screenshots:

Some videos:

And some actual gameplay with modded game...

(why yes some of those are my videos... :3 )

SAS ModAct release thread:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,37662

That thread should contain all the information for downloading and installing that. I'll provide more links for some nice mods to supplement it later if that's the road you choose.

HSFX 7 release thread:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,37309.0.html

Also, my bad, the current version of HSFX is seven, not six. HSFX6 is for IL-2 4.11.1, HSFX7 for 4.12.1.

For what it's worth: HSFX has a bit more content but is much more difficult to further modify (with additional airplanes, for example).

Whichever you choose, saving an unmodded installation is definitely worth it because you will most likely at some point need to do a re-installation otherwise. Even if you don't screw something up, when the next official patch of the game is released, that will require a clean installation as well, so it makes sense to sacrifice some HDD space for the gods of gaming. And the IL-2 installer application is notoriously fickle and annoying... for some it works, sometimes it then stops working, and so forth. Of course if you have the digital copy of the game, the problems with disk installer will not be a concern.

At the very least though, back up your pilot directory so you don't need to re-do the key bindings and such every time you re-install the game...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:25:13 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Well, this seems to be actually the perfect place to find an expert! Thanks, Herra!

Also, I'm pretty sure that first "screenshot" is actually a photograph, you cheater  :P

Oculus Rift with IL-2 is going to be incredible...

Actually my IL-2 clan has an automated upgrade app for 4.12.2m, including the latest HSFX7.01. You have to be a member to use it but hey they asked me to join before I ever flew it. Nice bunch of guys and they fly online regularly.  IL-2 looks pretty good for its age with these mods.

Fixed link for public view

http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/11154-installing-hsfx-7-the-easy-way/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:03:15 pm by OverDhill »

thanks Herra, very helpful tips. i prefer SasModact, which other mods do you suggest me to add to it ?

and are there wwii mission/campaigns compatible with Sasmodact and il2 12.2.2 ?

one more question for offline user like me:
DBW has much more content (campaigns) than sasmodact ? if yes, 4.12 is very different from 4.10 ? which are the biggest changes ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:44:51 am by seamount »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Benitomuso's Visual Mod:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,37311.0.html

www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,33239

High Resolution / True Colour Texture mod: Provided with SAS ModAct, but...

NOTE: While a version of this is contained in the SAS ModAct optional mods download, there is a chance that it will mess up water reflections in a manner like this:

So, if you install the SAS ModAct optional mod pack, and navigate to your ../IL-2 Sturmovik 1946/jsgmemods/ directory, you'll find a directory named "#SAS_True Color HD Skins by Carsmaster". Make sure it is disabled in the JSGME.exe, make a copy of it and name that "#SAS_True Color HD Skins 'light' by Carsmaster".

Then get the original mod from the download link ( www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,33239 ), and open the zip file.

Inside, you should find something like this:

ZIP/
|_jsgmemods
  |_High Res True Color Sample Custom Skins
  |_High Resolution Texture DLLs
  |_High Resolution Texture DLLs 'light'
    |_documentation
    |_il2_core.dll
    |_il2_corep4.dll

...and the rest you don't need to bother with.

Copy these two DLL files into your "#SAS_True Color HD Skins 'light' by Carsmaster" directory, and then you can enable it with JSGME.

In fact, I would recommend doing this to begin with, but feel free to try the regular version first.

Then there's these useful mods that I use with the SAS ModAct.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9ra8x9i8s08b9fl/JSGMEmods_HT_4.12_sasmodact.7z

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bn7t50mqmgynb6f/MISC_MODS_HT_4.12_sasmodact.7z

The JSGME mods should be extracted to the jsgmemods directory and activated with JSGME.exe. This file contains high resolution version of my water mod (use with care; it can really affect frame rates and doesn't generally look much better than the regular version which is supplied with SAS ModAct optional mods), and a set of cloud textures that I made.

The MISC mods should be extracted to the #SAS directory, and they will be used automatically once they are installed. Included are:
-Guncam tracer mod (makes tracers look bit more guncam-film like, use with discretion)
-Ricochet mod, makes bullets bounce from the ground
-a fond mod to change the interface font to a "typewriter"-like appearance as well as reduce the font size; I use this as I feel it makes the game interface more consistent with the time period.
-high resolution palm tree texture mod I made (again, use with discretion... shimmering will occur and you may get some performance drop)

The high-resolution texture mod are, obviously, only to be used with the high resolution / true colour texture mod enabled. Otherwise, the game throws a hissy fit and crashes because texture properties don't match the hardcoded expectations. I have a high resolution tree texture mod which is truly splendid, but I am not sure if I should be spreading that around because I can't find it for download again, so I don't know if the author of the mod pulled it or something.

Other mods you may want to try out:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,37774.0.html

SAS Engine Mod v2.7 for 4.12.2m + Buttons 10.5 test

A lot of important stuff that another important mods require. Recommended to be used single-player only, or on servers also using similar mod environment.

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,15649.0.html

IL2 1956 - The Jet Era v1.33

Installation is a bit complicated and requires the SAS Engine Mod, but it's definitely worth it...

Additions to the JetWar:

Mig-21PF/PFM/FL "Fishbed"
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,35005.0.html

MiG-19 "Farmer"
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,25695.0.html

Mig-21S/MF/bis (beta)
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,37264.0.html

Su-25 "Frogfoot"
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,38501.0.html

Yakovlev Yak-36 Freehand, VTOL v2.5 with new variants SMF
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,36812.0.html

Mil Mi-8T
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,32834.0.html

Mil Mi-24V Hind-E
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,32888.0.html

There are a few other helicopters available, but these two are the best in my opinion.

For the Americans:

North American F-100 Super Sabre
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,37109.0.html

McDonnell F-4 Phantom
http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,21682.0.html

Quite old beta version (no working cockpit gauges yet, for example) but still highly amusing to fly.

For map mods, I would recommend at least Cyberolas' "Retextured, Retowned, Revillaged" series. They are very well done and make towns and villages look much more real, and actually tend to reduce the lag caused by looking at major towns because they seem to use less buildings, but in an arrangement that looks more like city blocks and streets.

In general, the mods available at sas1946 are arranged in a pretty logical fashion in categories. So if you are looking for a particular aircraft you can probably find it without much problems, if it exists.

What you need to understand is that SAS ModAct is a framework for mods. Big mod packs like DBW or HSFX are built and tested by people who ideally expect people to make little to none modifications of their own, so (for example) adding aircraft to HSFX7 is much more complicated than adding them to SAS ModAct installation.

When you install the SAS ModAct, AI Flyables, and Optional Mods, you have a nice layout to start expanding. If you want to get content like 1916 aircraft (which you can get by installing DBW 1916) you can go find them and install them. If you want to install JetWar... yeah, SAS ModAct is actually the best way to do it because JetWar is built to require the SAS Engine Mod, and the easiest way to get that and the correct buttons file is via SAS ModAct.

In general, I don't think there's a "single best" mod or mod pack solution for IL-2. Because the modding scene is much more fractured than, say, FS2 modding, you tend to get some good stuff with one mod pack and other good stuff with another, and combining the good stuff is sometimes inconvenient or downright impossible.

That's why, if you have hard disk drive and enthusiasm to spare, you would ideally have as many installations of IL-2 as it takes for you to have all you need. For example, I have a 4.12.1 + SAS ModAct version that I use for regular use, I have a 4.11.1 + HSFX6 version that I use for SEOW multiplayer campaign gameplay, and I also have a 4.12.1 + HSFX7 version for use with Joint Ops missions... and I always keep an unmodded installation around as well. It's helpful when the time comes to install the next official patch. And I have some vestigial remnants of old times, installations that haven't been used in years...

Yes, they take a lot of HDD space. I should probably prune some of the old installations I haven't used in a long time. But then again, my FS2 Open directory takes 52.5 GB by itself. :p