Author Topic: Import old FS2 save files?  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Peeteey

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Import old FS2 save files?
Hi guys, my apologies if this has been answered before but I've searched and searched and not found an answer (that I can understand)

I'm quite far through playing the original (GOG ver.) FS2 and have just learned of this great project.

The problem is, FSO doesn't seem to like my FS2 player files so I have to start from scratch. While that's not a bad thing, I'd rather continue from where I was in FS2.

My question is this: Can I import my old save files or convert them somehow so they work in FSO?

If not, is there a way of starting on my current mission (when lightning fall), bypassing all missions before it?

Thanks for any help!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Import old FS2 save files?
FSO should convert the files for you. Which version of FSO are you using?

IF all else fails. Download this file and stick it in Freespace2/data/Mission. Create a new pilot and you can start the campaign from Bearbaiting (So you only need to replay 4-5 missions rather than the whole thing).

When you finish the game, don't forget to delete the file or you'll find it very hard to play the earlier missions again.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Peeteey

FSO should convert the files for you. Which version of FSO are you using?

It's 3.7.0 installed on 2nd drive, Win XP. I installed FSO in the dir I had the GOG ver of FS2 installed into. (G:\Games\Freespace 2) launched using the FS2 Open Launcher 5.5g that came bundled

I'd seen people saying it should convert them but it's said nothing to me ...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, it might just be that you've hit a bug in the conversion process. Could you zip up the data/players directory in your FS2 folder and upload it to dropbox or something like that? That way, we can try and debug this.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Peeteey

Well, it might just be that you've hit a bug in the conversion process. Could you zip up the data/players directory in your FS2 folder and upload it to dropbox or something like that? That way, we can try and debug this.

Sure, here it is and thanks for helping out :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sn4uyuyadmd4p0m/players.zip

The original FS2 files (Peeteey) are in the players/single dir and the new ID I had to make in FSO (Peeteey Open) seemed to be put just in the players dir.

Offline Peeteey

... That way, we can try and debug this.

Hiya, just wondering if you've had any success?
Cheers!

Offline Peeteey

IF all else fails. Download this file and stick it in Freespace2/data/Mission. Create a new pilot and you can start the campaign from Bearbaiting (So you only need to replay 4-5 missions rather than the whole thing).

Thanks for the files, but how do I use them? I've put them in the dir you mention and created a new pilot, but if I click on Campaign Room it starts me from the beginning. Can't see them in Mission Simulator either.
Cheers for any help!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The Freespace2.fc2 file should actually go in Freespace2/data/Missions (plural).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Also, if you're playing with the MediaVPs put the file in the mediaVPs_2014/data/missions folder instead. I forgot that the mediaVPs have their own campaign file which will override anything in FS2/Data
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Peeteey

Also, if you're playing with the MediaVPs put the file in the mediaVPs_2014/data/missions folder instead. I forgot that the mediaVPs have their own campaign file which will override anything in FS2/Data

You're a genius, it works! Thanks so much.