Author Topic: Thrustmaster T-16000M: rY axis issue  (Read 1582 times)

Thrustmaster T-16000M: rY axis issue
Hi. So, I've been playing Wing Commander Saga, when I encountered a problem with my joystic controls. At the WCS forum I was advised that my problem might apply to FreeSpace Open as well and that I may find a solution here.

I'm using a T-16000M joystick and have remapped the turn (yaw) command to the rotational rY axis, because that's what rudder is usually mapped for in flight sims. However, the game doesn't give me a clean turn around the vertical axis, but instead a combination of turn (yaw) and bank (roll). Here's what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbogl6nfOOE&feature=youtu.be

In the video, I just used the rY axis and nothing more. I don't get this effect in any other game, so I wonder if there's a way to setup my joystick controls, so that they work properly?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:48:54 am by Constantinus »

Re: Thrustmaster T-16000M: rY axis issue
It is usual freespace behaviour. Check it by turning via keyboard

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That's roll-while-yawing actually the default behavior from retail FreeSpace, and while it was made customizable via a table flag in FreeSpace Open, apparently the WCS team kept the behavior for their ships too.  If you really wanted to, it's possible to edit the table file; you'd just have to go through and change every single entry for player-flyable ships.

More in general, although it'll seem backwards if you're used to flight sims, it'll probably work out better if you keep the yaw on the Y-axis.  Since the FS engine isn't an atmospheric-based flight model, you don't turn at all from banking, so it makes more sense to put the yaw on a joystick axis with a greater range of motion.  But that's just my own opinion, so go with whatever works for you. :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Pretty sure this is how space sims have worked since the days of the original X-Wing, although it's been so long I can't remember (do remember it being "familiar" when I played the original Freespace, though).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.