Author Topic: Frame drops from flak  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Kolgena

Frame drops from flak
Using the latest nightly (May 12), playing BP2.

Any missions with flak are essentially unplayable, as flak explosions will cut my fps from 70-100 to 20-40 for half a second every time. Effects seem cumulative, as flak spam will drop my fps to as low as 15. It doesn't have to be visible on screen to cause a framedrop. Naturally, with framedrop comes wonkiness (lag and loss of sensitivity) with mouse input, so it's impossible to aim if there's any flak being shot around.

Removing the adv-bp.vp doesn't help (this contains the flak animations)
Turning off soft particles raises my average FPS, but the frame drops are just as bad.
Turning off all sound helps quite a bit, such that flak only drops the framerate to 45-50. (I'm using creative's OpenAL 1.1. Can't switch to oal-soft because it refuses to work with wxlauncher on my computer)

I'm not sure what else I should try to attempt to figure out the problem. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Log attached. Also forcing 16x AF in CCC. The GPu is an 8870 with 2GB GDDR5, despite what the debug log says.

As an aside, ever since getting this new laptop, I've never yet managed to get stable 60 fps in any of the nightly builds of FSO. Is something wrong on my end, or is FSO just getting extremely demanding on hardware? For comparison, I'm holding a stable 90 fps in cs:go maxed out with 8xAA, and 40+fps in 4v4s in SC2. Mind, none of those are OpenGl, but I don't have any other games that use it.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Frame drops from flak
I have been unable to get a stable framerate on my quite decent gaming rig for some time now. I just assumed our game was badly optimized.

This might be a BP specific problem (in particular I am suspicious of the scripts). Test on Diaspora and see if you can get steady framerates. I'll do the same.

20-40 seems an odd threshold for 'unplayability' to me
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
A steady 30 would be a lot better than a choppy 20-40 even.

Offline Kolgena

I haven't gotten around to installing Diaspora, so testing that might take me a few days. I'll post here if/when I do.

Battuta is exactly right. Even though the FPS counter reads 20-40, what I'm experiencing is almost more like microstutters. It feels a lot more like sporadic 3-5 fps rather than a steady 20-30 fps. Trust me, I know how smooth even 25 fps can feel if it's rock steady (movies are 24 fps, and Crysis is notorious for running like butter as soon as you break 30 fps), but this is definitely not what I'm getting with FSO.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
I haven't gotten around to installing Diaspora, so testing that might take me a few days. I'll post here if/when I do.

Battuta is exactly right. Even though the FPS counter reads 20-40, what I'm experiencing is almost more like microstutters. It feels a lot more like sporadic 3-5 fps rather than a steady 20-30 fps. Trust me, I know how smooth even 25 fps can feel if it's rock steady (movies are 24 fps, and Crysis is notorious for running like butter as soon as you break 30 fps), but this is definitely not what I'm getting with FSO.
do you have any cpu/gpu monitoring tools or such running in the background on your pc? also, do these happen on any Source engine based games? (ala TF2)

this is just an anecdotal guess, but i remember that sometimes being the cause of stutters in fso for me.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline Kolgena

No stutters in L4D2, HL2, or CS:GO.

No monitoring software.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken