Author Topic: I played Valkyrie on Oculus Rift  (Read 2584 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I played Valkyrie on Oculus Rift

At E3 yesterday I got a chance to flash the vip vip vip card and jump the line into the Oculus Rift booth. When I heard they had Valkyrie I couldn't resist. The Rift is a lightweight VR and headtracking kit that immerses you in the game world. Valkyrie is a lightweight, visually striking flight sim by the developers of EVE.

The Rift is super cool - the display is slightly blurry (though it may not have been perfectly adjusted) and the current design bleeds a little outside light around the eyes, but I forgot there were any problems once I launched. Looking around the world is intoxicating, and filling up your entire FOV with game really sucks you in. It's incredible to look left or right and see your ship's guns looming there. I'm not sure the game is quite as crisp and legible as it'd be on a regular HD display - something worth keeping an eye on as Oculus comes closer to launch.

I got turned about a few times, since keeping track of your head position is another variable to master on top of motion through 3D space. Valkyrie uses a Diaspora-style slow combat model: ranges are long, relative velocities are high, most fights are jousts, and you'll almost never get into a merge. I spent the full three minutes of the demo tangling with a single enemy - a red blur I never got to see up close, although we made a few head-to-head passes. Your ship's cockpit registers damage by sparking and cracking. The design is less intrusive than Star Citizen's, or at least it feels that way, perhaps because the Oculus gives you so much space to work with.

To my shame, I didn't actually land a kill, despite several good gun engagements and a lot of generous use of Valkyrie's missiles. The missiles track a helmet-mounted sight, and the longer you can look at the enemy while holding down the trigger, the more of them you can lock on. This feels ****ing awesome.

Playing on the Rift definitely made me eager to try it more, though I might jump for a different game. I'd love to play FSO on here - the clean interface and sharp, noiseless visual design of FreeSpace would be a better fit for me than Valkyrie, and FreeSpace's faster, more violent combat might even look better. Most importantly, though, the Rift works as advertised. It's good hardware. When I looked down at my virtual body in the game, I started to get a touch of body transfer, an eerie and kinda cool sensation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: I played Valkyrie on Oculus Rift
Can I play muh animu hentai games on this, Battuta-senpai?

(Sounds really cool btw)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Luis Dias

sigh at the notion that i'll only experience this in 5, 10 years.

must. keep. alive.

Offline Lorric

sigh at the notion that i'll only experience this in 5, 10 years.

must. keep. alive.
Well here's a question, which would you prefer? To wait that long, or to have had a chance to try it and like it, and then still have to wait?

In my experience it's worse when I get a chance to try something that I really, really like and then have to wait a long time before I get it myself, the sense of longing is much more profound.

Offline Luis Dias

Well to be fair I did have this experience 20 years ago in a science fair with a super computer playing Doom in a 320x240 headset. It was messy, low-fi, and nauseating.

It was also awesome.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
When I looked down at my virtual body in the game, I started to get a touch of body transfer, an eerie and kinda cool sensation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

What controls did you use to pilot?

If you used a joystick, did your virtual body mirror the changes you did in your joystick? If so, how realistic were these changes and did it ever feel nauseating?

If you used any other controller (keyboard/mouse/gamepad/whatever), how well could you use it, and how immersion breaking was it having no sight of it?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:12:46 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Used a 360 pad, which I'm pretty expert with. Unfortunately the body didn't mirror controller inputs - I wish it had, it would've helped the body transfer illusion. No immersion problems having no sight of it. I think controllers are a great fit for the Rift since it's easy to know where your hands are without any sight on the controller.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Darn, I wish it didn't cost over 1000 zloty (350$ translates to about that)... I'm really torn on that one. On one hand, my inner gamer wants this more than anything in the world. On the other, my inner scroodge wants to keep this 1000 zloty just as badly. :) I'd already have OR pre-ordered if it wasn't for my paralyzing aversion to spending money.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Did you also play Elite: Dangerous with the occulus Rift ? :) Video from EVE Valkyrie is not as good as Freespace or Elite: Dangerous.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
They didn't have Elite at the Rift booth.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So has CCP finally managed to make a game that is both not EVE and not suck?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Not yet. What I played basically felt like a toy or a tech demo.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The missiles track a helmet-mounted sight, and the longer you can look at the enemy while holding down the trigger, the more of them you can lock on.

Macross Missile Massacre detected!
Delicious!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
What is valkyrie?

Oculus Dust would be fun.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png