Author Topic: Executor Speculation  (Read 11061 times)

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Look at this!!! ITS A MONSTER!!!  :eek: :eek2:

;7 ;7 ;7
Very nice!!!
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Dain

*coughs violently*

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11323

*scarpers*

Haha!  Ok, you caught me.  I wasn't actually trying to keep anything from you guys, but I tend to try not to post things here before they're certain.  For your convenience, I'll show you what the Executor looks like in game.

I just stumbled over that thread and was extremely excited :). Looks great.

Well, since no one's posted it yet:

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Nice job. Detail is good enough for a model that wouldn't be seen up close, and it surely looks intimidating. It doesn't have any armament (at least not yet), right?

As for balance, as I've once said on this thread, it shouldn't matter for that ship. It is supposed to be overpowered in universe, so I don't think that anything resembling balance is in order. One on one, it should be able to waste any other ship currently in FoTG. Missions can still be designed around such a powerful ship, though its utility would be limited. It was so in universe, as well. The idea of making ships that big was ridiculed by some Imperial officers (though out of Vader's earshot, obviously :) ), at least according to the "old" EU. It would be nice if it could enforce the "no way to approach it close up" with an appropriate amount of firepower, but it's probably a secondary concern now.

Offline Lorric

So out of curiosity, how does it prevent people getting too close? Do you just run into an invisible wall or something? Fail the mission for straying too far away?

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
So out of curiosity, how does it prevent people getting too close? Do you just run into an invisible wall or something? Fail the mission for straying too far away?

Likely, either 1) there will be no actual prevention mechanism so you can waste all your mission time flying somewhere far, far away to get to it (and surely fail the mission because of it) or 2) it'll just have some very accurate long-range anti-fighter lasers which willl make it very, very difficult to get that close.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Nice job. Detail is good enough for a model that wouldn't be seen up close, and it surely looks intimidating. It doesn't have any armament (at least not yet), right?

As for balance, as I've once said on this thread, it shouldn't matter for that ship. It is supposed to be overpowered in universe, so I don't think that anything resembling balance is in order. One on one, it should be able to waste any other ship currently in FoTG. Missions can still be designed around such a powerful ship, though its utility would be limited. It was so in universe, as well. The idea of making ships that big was ridiculed by some Imperial officers (though out of Vader's earshot, obviously :) ), at least according to the "old" EU. It would be nice if it could enforce the "no way to approach it close up" with an appropriate amount of firepower, but it's probably a secondary concern now.

Right now one of the main reasons we're not worrying about balancing it is because we don't have a model suitable for actual close-up combat.  While this works really well for a far LOD, it just wouldn't look right any closer.  So if someone ever decided to put the enormous amount of effort required to create an SSD to our model standards, we'd probably make the effort to stat it up and put firepoints and subsystems and everything on it.  Until that happens though, it's just a moot point.

Offline Lorric

Likely, either 1) there will be no actual prevention mechanism so you can waste all your mission time flying somewhere far, far away to get to it (and surely fail the mission because of it) or 2) it'll just have some very accurate long-range anti-fighter lasers which willl make it very, very difficult to get that close.
Yeah, people could of course use cheats and jack up the time compression to get close, but I see no real point expending energy trying to prevent that. Like I remember one mission I saw that I could get closer to a planet, a gas giant planet, so I flew to the planet and of course eventually bounced off the model, and it looked terrible that close to it. But it still made the level better for being there and as long as you don't get close to it looks nice and it's great that you can have the illusion of getting closer to the planet. Still looks good to me even though I broke the illusion, I can still suspend my disbelief.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
There are a couple reasons for us to take a little time to prevent the player from casually strolling up to our background model: upholding our own visual standards (which has been a a key goal of this mod from the start) and not making our contributors' work look bad by showing it in ways it wasn't intended to be shown. Most likely the SSD will hyper out or something if the player gets too close. Ship like that has better places to be anyway.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
And if anyone wants to know why a ship like that would flee from a single rebel fighter getting too close,

Offline Luis Dias

I agree, there are so many ways to keep the player from reaching the SSD, it's not difficult at all from game design POV.

But... congrats! It looks terrific. A sight to behold! A giant city ship in the background to convey how ****ing tiny and irrelevant you are!

Now that's sexy!  Also, very nice to see this kind of friendly cooperation between different modding groups.   :yes:
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Lol I think the Executor should actually cite noticing the threat a small suicidal fighter poses to the bridge of the ship before deciding to jump out.  Be a nice Easter Egg.  Then you should lose the mission for leaving the combat area :P
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
Can we have the new Episode VII Star Destroyer ??   :D  :D

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

MORE!!!

from the new teaser. Here in german:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCXPRO8CllU
PPS: to get back at Topic:
that is a SSD wreck!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:23:07 pm by Deathsnake »
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah I also thought it was a SSD. Only gripe is that in the first shot, another Star Destroyer is shown in wreckage. Somewhat of a redundancy but what the **** am I complaining about!

e: smells like homeworld, that shot, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 02:44:28 pm by Luis Dias »

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
Looks like a entire Imperial fleet is shot down over the planet Oo
Before the Scene another wreck of a Star Destroyer is shown oO

**** Rebels!!!!!
Star Citizen No. 250

would you look at the habsburg jaw on that thing
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Looks like a entire Imperial fleet is shot down over the planet Oo
Before the Scene another wreck of a Star Destroyer is shown oO

**** Rebels!!!!!

Well, you would expect some pitched battles to be fought between the Empire / or splinter forces that used to be the Empire and the New Republic / semi-allied forces that used to be the Rebels.  (Not sure if Disney is going to stick close to the plotline from the books or not.)

So, you would expect wreckage from both fleets pretty much anywhere there was a contest near a planet that didn't involve one side retreating or surrendering.

You might even get Bastion-esque hulks floting through space.

Heh, off-topic but tangentlly related:

http://www.reddit.com/r/submechanophobia    (Sort of the same idea, a lot of these are remnants of battles, hulks slowly disintegrating beneath the ocean.  Combines the feel of massive planet-side wrecks and hulks drifting in space.)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is that a real fear?  Because I'm pretty sure I have it.  The thought of swimming with something like that below me...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think lots of people have it to varying degrees and specifities ... like, I don't freak out, but I don't freak out in tight enclosed spaces either whilst I do feel that tendency bleow the surface trying to gain control.  I don't let it because that's a good way to make a bad situation worse.  I'm actually afraid of water and heights too, and treat them the same way.  Like a week a two ago I was up on a man-lift / scissors lift about40-50 ft in the air, it's scary, but unless you let the fear sneak up on you it's controllable.

http://www.reddit.com/r/submechanophobia/comments/2r8pt9/man_vs_propeller/cqfdh9s
Oh jeez. This is a huge part of why I am afraid of ships and big mechanical things under water. Can you imagine being upstream when the prop started? My nightmare, right there.. at least they were downstream.
Side not, I'm not sure if the camera man swam away, He was pretty safe at that distance I would think? He was on the downstream side of the prop, perhaps the wash propelled him backwards, not sure.
Now... Imagine they had decided to run the starboard prop first and had decided to run the engines in reverse gear instead of forward.