Author Topic: Installation help  (Read 1276 times)

Hi all,

I bought FS2 from GOG and was looking for a way to increase the resolution and ended up here.

I downloaded the open installer but don't really know what to do with it. The folders contain loads of class files but nothing that I can run.

I then found  the wx launcher but it didn't find any supported executables within the FS2 folder.

Sorry for being an utter n00blet, but I just need a steer on simple steps to take that someone of my limited understanding can get his head around.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I downloaded the open installer but don't really know what to do with it. The folders contain loads of class files but nothing that I can run.
You're supposed to execute the .jar file, not extract it. Do you have java installed?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I thought I had Java installed but on second check it turns out I hadn't. I installed and its working now. Thanks man!

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
I am sorry to pin up to someone others threat, but as far as it is bit similiar, i thought its not that bad. If i am wrong, move me over to the other thread.

Hello, i have a question for you people.

I am changing my machine, and i want to make a clean install of FS2O, but i have very limited network abilities... so i want to copy over the most critical files.

I currently have GOG.com installation on new computer, without any knowledge what files should i copy from the previous installation - except the mediaVP's.

Anyone could help me?
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
On Windows, all the FSO files are in the FS2 installation directory. The only data that I can remember that's not inside that folder are registry entries.  I believe that the GOG installer and the FSO launchers will set these up for you.

Anyway, excluding the mediavps, you should copy the "data" directory and all its contents from the old computer to the new one (that'll where all your pilot files are stored).  You should also copy over any mod directories that you want to keep.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...