Author Topic: Spectre-class attack fighter  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Actius

Spectre-class attack fighter
Not rightly sure if this belongs here, so apologies there.

I'm pretty sure this'll get me laughed right out of the place :P... but I thought I'd try my hand at modelling something after many years lurking about HLP, in this case modelling a fighter that some people might be familiar with if they'd ever played the Shattered Universe game and potentially giving one of my favourite sci-fi franchises some fighter power in FS.

The Terran Imperial Spectre-class fighter, basically from what I can gather she's supposedly comparable to a heavy Space Superiority fighter, though the three Terran Empire fighters seem to seriously overlap. Frankly I think she's the oddest looking of the lot.

It's far from the best, but I would appreciate feedback all the same.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 01:02:55 am by Actius »

Welcome to HLP :D
Don't worry you placed your topic in proper place :)
This thing looks interesting but I cannot see the model. Something is wrong with your p3d link :/

Which program do you use for modelling?

Offline Actius

Mm, might have to reupload the file I think. Also strange is how the axis center is off in P3D.

And I use Cinema 4D, though I have to say I've found it very limited in actually modelling this, especially when trying to implement that (rather oversized in my opinion) cockpit. Though that might have more to do with my skill rather than the program itself.

I am trying to learn how to use Blender, but I find C4D a bit easier interface wise.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:04:43 am by Actius »

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I think you need to set your model to be public on p3d before the forum will let it display... Possibly.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
your model is suffering from the beginners problem of looking like crinkly paper
try to avoid visible tirangles as good as posible, and rather try to keep everything as quads - trust me my own models often enough have the same problem  :banghead:
you can also use smooth shading and edgesplit on the areas in question
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Actius

Should be visible now hopefully.

As for the model, believe it or not with regards to the two "struts" that connect to the "sleigh" components those are formed of quads from what I can see. I'm going to see about finding a way to straighten those out though.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:30:06 am by Actius »

Offline Actius

Okay, taking fightermedics advice to ensure everything is a quad and handling things like n-gons while also attempting to try and apply smooth-shading where possible.

The "sleigh" components will be the next thing, but I wanted to see how these panned out first.

Offline Actius

Let's try this again.

Offline Actius

Re: Spectre-class attack fighter
Update.

Thought I'd try my hand at texturing (shoddy I know :P), taking a few hints from Scooby Doo's very helpful tutorial. Basically I'm not at all sure where to proceed from here to improve the texture and/or the model in question.

EDIT: Tried to go a little furthur, hopefully the results are a little better.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:56:30 am by Actius »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I really like it :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Actius

Decided I wasn't happy with the pods... so I redid them from scratch, shrunk them down after looking over some shots of the Spectre and..

Latest version, hopefully this time I'll unwrap it better.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Really nice texture you've painted on it.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Actius

Thanks, though I'm not really happy with it. The unwrapping job wasn't the best :P

I'm still trying to figure my way around that and set up a clean, single texture before I even think of making this thing useable.

Oddly enough I'm kinda thinking of a colour scheme like the Herc 2.