Author Topic: Terrorist attack in Paris (11 people dead)  (Read 26147 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Re: Terrorist attack in Paris (11 people dead)
y'all realize Dragon is now just going to go to /pol/ to get further radicalized, right? now he doesn't have to defend his beliefs against challenge.
was honestly hoping I could convince him he was full of ****.
but whatevs...

Did you notice that you had to switch to using the word culture rather than continuing to use religion?

That alone should have showed you that you're making a huge mistake blaming Islam for this.

Yes, I was quite aware of what I was writing. The culture is dominated by the religion, that is the culture. Culture and religion are often very tightly intertwined. did you also notice the line about 'religion which has the same name' part? I am quite aware that not all muslims are murderers thank you.

I'd say that the Christian Survivialist movement is very similar actually. A lot of them are eagerly waiting for the moment society falls so that they can start shooting people. I think the main difference between the two is nothing to do with religion but the fact that survivalists don't believe the moment for violence has come yet. If the Canadian border was like Northern Iraq, they'd be driving up there, guns in hand, right now.

I am not convinced of this comparason or your understanding of that particular brand of nuttery. The survivalists think that civilization will fall and there will be anarchy and that they need all those artillery rounds to fight off the roving bands of road pirates. They think that they will have to rebuild civilization after it falls, not that they need to bring the current civilization down so that they can install their own. It's not an ongoing campaign of any sort of real action, it's mostly collecting ridiculous amounts of survival gear, food, weapons, and building fallout shelters. honestly not seeing the connection with a bunch of people who are going to a foreign land and subjugating it's people (is this a fair description of ISIS?). survivalists seem to me to be mainly a defensive mindset with no real goals of conquest. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
anyway, howbout we get less meta and more on topic

Paris* right now:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:01:25 pm by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Where's the giant caricature?
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Hellzed

Paris right now

(not Paris, since the building in the background is the Opera House of Rennes)

So sad. I have no words for what I feel right now.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
(*Paris according to reddit)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yes, I was quite aware of what I was writing. The culture is dominated by the religion, that is the culture. Culture and religion are often very tightly intertwined. did you also notice the line about 'religion which has the same name' part? I am quite aware that not all muslims are murderers thank you.

But here's the problem, when you blame the religion, you blame it everywhere, not just in the places where it dominates the culture. In places where it does dominate the culture, it's the culture that is to blame, not the religion. So why not simply cut to the chase and put the blame where it actually belongs?

I am not convinced of this comparason or your understanding of that particular brand of nuttery. The survivalists think that civilization will fall and there will be anarchy and that they need all those artillery rounds to fight off the roving bands of road pirates. They think that they will have to rebuild civilization after it falls, not that they need to bring the current civilization down so that they can install their own. It's not an ongoing campaign of any sort of real action, it's mostly collecting ridiculous amounts of survival gear, food, weapons, and building fallout shelters. honestly not seeing the connection with a bunch of people who are going to a foreign land and subjugating it's people (is this a fair description of ISIS?). survivalists seem to me to be mainly a defensive mindset with no real goals of conquest. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not going to say they are the same thing. But you claimed there was something special about Islam making middle-class people go off and act like nutcases. I pointed out that the same thing occurs in Christianity, it's just channelled in a different direction for now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Well, historically, much of Sunni Islam (and by some extension, Shia) has had a love-hate relationship with Iconoclastic principals.

In Islamic artwork, Sunni threads never draw images of the Prophet, out of both religious law and long tie to their calligraphy of the Arabic language. Though, I will add to some irony, Iranian artists produced a lot of work that actually featured drawn portraits of Muhammad in his journey to Mecca and expulsion.

Though to critique Dragon, the only way to effectively fight ISIS is to both stabilize and secure the borders of Syria and Iraq. However, the regional instability only highlights the major problems afflicting Syria and Iraq, and the politics? Hahahahaha. Politics in the Middle East is madness. However, if US ground forces were to encounter ISIS in a conventional war? We'd brutally crush them like we did the Iraqi Republican Guard in both Gulf Wars.

Guerilla war and insurgency? That's a bit different. And America recently got done fighting a guerilla war in Iraq during our unneeded stay. I don't think our public (and to extent, political machinery) is ready to fight another overseas excursion.

As for the actions of these young men? You can only blame the religion thus far: the rest has to fall on personal or group influence. In some twisted ways, the attack is in a similar vein to anti-abortion campaigners blowing up clinics or murdering abortion doctors.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
I'm not going to say they are the same thing. But you claimed there was something special about Islam making middle-class people go off and act like nutcases. I pointed out that the same thing occurs in Christianity, it's just channelled in a different direction for now.
Middle class extremists appear in a flash and disappear just as quickly (the Weathermen are the perfect western example). Religion or no religion, barring a military occupation, you're just not going to find enough people to make a terrorist organization unless there is such terrible poverty that a lot of them feel like they have nothing to lose.

I'd also like to amend my earlier statement. You don't need to have a scripture with violent passages like the Old Testament or the Koran to plant the seed for religious violence. I know Sam Harris did try to claim that a Buddhist or a Jain wouldn't be prone to the same risk of falling into violence as a Muslim. That is bull**** - a large fraction of the Mongols who massacred the entire population of Baghdad in 1258 were devout Buddhists. The samurai of the Warring States Period were almost entirely Buddhist in religion. Murderers can take literally anything and twist it to suit their needs.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:44:35 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30721021

Should be noted, as the IS army are moving on and leaving smaller occupying forces in Syria, at appears those occupying forces are being 'vanished' by the locals.

Thing is, people from Asia are no more fond of having religion dictated to them down the point of the gun than people from anywhere else.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
But here's the problem, when you blame the religion, you blame it everywhere, not just in the places where it dominates the culture.
No that is what you (I presume) do when you blame a religion and you are assuming that I think the same way you do, or you have come up with this model of how my mind works without any internal reference. You should not do that, or at the least you should not assume you must be right about your assumptions. When someone says something there is a possibility that they mean something differently than what you think, that you have misinterpreted them. You should not insist that they think what you think they said, but try to understand what they actually think and then criticize that or their communication of their thoughts, but before you get to that point you have to not insist that you know their thoughts better than they do. In this particular case I, personally, make a very significant distinction between an ideology and the people who follow it. I can attribute things to the people and the ideology independently, that is how my model of things works. If you don't deal with that then we are talking past each other.

In places where it does dominate the culture, it's the culture that is to blame, not the religion. So why not simply cut to the chase and put the blame where it actually belongs?
Perhaps when I say religion I mean something different than what you think.
Religions are living things (figuratively speaking) that are more than their texts and separate from the cultures that they interact with, they have communities that transcend cultures. Religions have attributes that lead to their ability to influence the people who follow them to certain states. Just because you have the cancer gene doesn't mean you are going to get cancer, it just means you have a higher chance of it. Just because you belong to a religion doesn't mean you are going to be just like every other member of that religion. But if you belong to a religion that says that blood transfusions are a sin, you have a much higher chance of refusing (or having refused for you by someone else) a blood transfusion when it is the only thing that will save your life. It doesn't mean you definitely will, but it raises the chances of it (significantly). If this religion (and I'm totally not talking about Jahova's Witnesses here) is found in disparate parts of the world that have little involved with each other culturally (say due to missionaries) then this attribute of the religion it's self will be affecting people, It really wouldn't be accurate to say it was the result of the cultures, would it?

The part where I completely lose you:
In the case of Islam the religion as it exists today, it seems to prescribe a number of things that I believe have contributed to increasing hostility, insularity, hypersensitivity, exceptionalism, authoritarianism, and totalitarianism among the people who follow it (reread my last paragraph) and the cultures it dominates. Mohamed was a political leader, he wrote up governmental documents, this is considered part of the religion, when governmental documents written by the infallible founder are part of a religion it is very hard for communities following that religion to not seek a unification of political and religious powers, and for those powers to of course be dictated by their religion. This also makes it very difficult to separate Islam the religion, from Islam the political movement, because in a very significant way they are one in the same. To this day Islamic nations often derive legitimacy by claiming some sort of succession from Mohamed, this is literally what a caliphate is, the title Emir is connected to this as well. Islam dictates in minute detail how you are to live, Islam is the cause for the expression "wrong side of the bed", it tells you in extreme detail the god defined perfect way to wipe your ass. It is totalitarian, EVERYTHING in your life is supposed to be about Islam according to Islam, every bat of your eye, every breath is suppose to be according to the will of Allah. This also leads in to the authoritarian aspects, Mohamed is defined as the perfect man, by definition nothing he did can be wrong, The Koran is the perfect book, if the Koran says something that is contradicted by reality, reality is wrong. In order to worship god properly you must be in the correct sort of community, guess what type of community. Combine all of this with numerous calls for egregiously inhumane consequences tor things I consider basic human rights and you have what I feel is a very bad combination for a social/cultural force strongly influencing a very large portion of the population.

No one particular trait is really that unique. Christianity has all of this too, and it is having similarly bad effects in some parts of the world but the christian community has made changes to it's self that it by and large no longer interprets things so literally in most cases. As a result the Christian religion changed into a form that was far less bloodthursty, corrupt, despotic, and autocratic. Islam has had forms in the past that were very enlightened, it can have that again, I would like to see it have that again, there are muslims following a form like that right now and are working towards fixing their religion (though they certainly would not phrase it that way) and could be thought of as being on "our" side (whatever the **** that means, people who would like Islam to not have it's problems anymore?). I hope Islam will have that golden age again, but to me it does not look like much progress is being made and I don't think lieing to ourselves about that is going to help. (for anyone thinking "being biggoted about them isn't going to help either" please don't, the fact I just predicted your thoughts shows you are more reacting to my tone and language than thinking about what I am saying). I am not part of the ummah so I cannot (and arguably should not) do much to change it, all I can really do is observe it and try to position myself and my community, and my country, and my metaculture/civilisation/whatever in the best position to deal with what I observe from it and try to make sure we don't **** ourselves up internally in the process.

oh, that's not what I meant, I was more referring to the conquest and subjugation. Islam is totally unremarkable in it's ability to make people of all social strata act insane. It is specifically the "direction" I was referring to. I cannot think of anything happening that has convinced thousands of people to quit their jobs and try to set up a new country in the middle of a bunch of currently existing countries and rule it by the will of god.
...I suppose Israel might count? though that was more than half a century ago.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:22:18 am by Bobboau »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No that is what you (I presume) do when you blame a religion and you are assuming that I think the same way you do, or you have come up with this model of how my mind works without any internal reference.

No, I am saying that what you have written is most likely going to be interpreted to that meaning. If you want to be clear about your meaning, write clearly about your meaning as you did in this last post.

I hope Islam will have that golden age again, but to me it does not look like much progress is being made and I don't think lieing to ourselves about that is going to help. (for anyone thinking "being biggoted about them isn't going to help either" please don't, the fact I just predicted your thoughts shows you are more reacting to my tone and language than thinking about what I am saying). I am not part of the ummah so I cannot (and arguably should not) do much to change it, all I can really do is observe it and try to position myself and my community, and my country, and my metaculture/civilisation/whatever in the best position to deal with what I observe from it and try to make sure we don't **** ourselves up internally in the process.

That's a great argument. Can't you see how calling on people to draw Muhammed would actually alienate those people who are trying to modernise Islam by turning it once again into a West vs East issue where the West can obviously be proved to hate Islam and all the people trying to modernise the religion are obviously puppets of the West?

Why are you advocating we go out of our way to do something which will obviously make things worse?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-30721021

Should be noted, as the IS army are moving on and leaving smaller occupying forces in Syria, at appears those occupying forces are being 'vanished' by the locals.

Thing is, people from Asia are no more fond of having religion dictated to them down the point of the gun than people from anywhere else.

I actually posted that earlier but it went unremarked. Funny thing is I'm not certain whether the issue is people having religion dictated to them or a bunch of people with guns and nicotine withdrawal. :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:20:34 am by karajorma »

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
Why are you advocating we go out of our way to do something which will obviously make things worse?
Because we have our own insecurities.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Can't you see how calling on people to draw Muhammed would actually alienate those people who are trying to modernise Islam

no, I cannot, because those people are almost by definition the people who would react to such things with a loud echoing "meh"

so now you are discussing the best way to manipulate the muslim world into our own image? I'm more interested on the effect it will have directly in my world, there isn't much point in trying to export liberal values that you hide at the first inconvenience.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
no, I cannot, because those people are almost by definition the people who would react to such things with a loud echoing "meh"

You really think that a Draw Muhammed day wouldn't make the life of those people trying to modernise Islam harder?

so now you are discussing the best way to manipulate the muslim world into our own image? I'm more interested on the effect it will have directly in my world, there isn't much point in trying to export liberal values that you hide at the first inconvenience.

Not at all. The West has been making the mistake of trying to make the Middle East like itself since the Crusades. I'd suggest that the best thing to do with the Middle East is to leave it the **** alone and quit meddling since that's what caused the ****ing problem in the first place. Do you actually know why it is that the West has become a target for Islamic Fundamentalists? If you haven't watched "The Power of Nightmares" go do it now.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can't you see how calling on people to draw Muhammed would actually alienate those people who are trying to modernise Islam

Except not really, because while the people trying to modernize islam may see caricatures like those as no big deal personally, they also have to deal with people who quite definitely do not agree on that issue.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
We have people that say some of the stupidest, most assinine, hateful, vile, problematic, ignorant, blasphomous, dangerous things imaginable. The westboro babtists, the klan, the neo nazis, they are all an embaresment, but they are also something to be proud of. Because it means we let people express themselves, and we allow the ideas to be floated, especally the bad ones, so that they can be properly shot down or ignored. It means we respect the basic human right of freedom of speech. if you are a person who holds to liberal values you will react to someone saying something hateful to you  by letting them, and then maybe telling them what you think, if you feel it's worthy of a responce.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The thing is, a Muslim should not have to react with "meh" in order to be considered 'moderate', that's not the way it works.

A Muslim should be allowed to get as angry as they like about it, but it's not ok to go round taking out that anger on other people, that's sort of the whole point of Freedom of Speech, there's a big difference between Modernization and Westernization.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Bob, you realise that the people who are saying hateful, vile, ignorant things are wankers though, right? We shouldn't be proud of them for saying it. Proud of ourselves for allowing them, but not proud of them.

Remember that you could make an argument that Westbro baptist are defending their freedom of speech to say bad things about gay people. Reflect on what that means for someone who wants to troll an entire religion because of what some people do in the name of it.