Author Topic: Installer thinks I already have that  (Read 6724 times)

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Installer thinks I already have that
OK, by this point, the installer is beginning to annoy me for all the bugs I keep having to clean up after it (already mentioned earlier that it never bothered to update my FS:P install some time back but can't post the log file since it was overwritten some time ago as far as I am aware).

It's giving me problems again.  I was doing some housekeeping and wanted to straight up reinstall FS:O since there's some old stuff I never use in there, along with old versions of stuff and extra files nothing uses anymore, so I figured I would just straight up do a resinstall from scratch.  The FS:2 install went fine, but the FS:O installer won't hear of it.  According to it I still have MVP 2014 and both blue planets, but the mod folders for all of that is gone.  I DID tell it to reinstall FS:P and ST:R and it can't even do that right.

The basic cutscenes weren't downloaded nor were the reworked command briefings, so I had to run the installer again, which seemed to work, but that's a problem I have seen a couple times before, each time with different files.

Anyway, why does the installer think I have some stuff already installed (it didn't change my registry did it?  I thought I exterminated all the Freespace files I had.  I am further confised since it only thinks I till have SOME of the old stuff, but not all of the old stuff), and is there a way to force it to install the MVPs without installing other mods and campaigns I am not playing at the moment or reinstalling FSPort? (there's an option to rerun installation on ALL, but I didn't see anywhere to choose what to reinstall, under custom install the MVPs are greyed out since it claims they are already installed)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 08:56:08 pm by BirdofPrey »
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: Installer thinks I already have that
I don't know if this is recommended behavior or not, but when I had a similar issue while reinstalling BP, I deleted C:\Users\[my profile]\fsoinstaller.properties and everything worked great the next time I ran the installer.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline BirdofPrey

Ah.  See I KNEW there had to be some sort of settings file somewhere, I just couldn't find it.

That seems to have worked, though the radar icons for mvp 3612 didn't work (said it couldn't download it, but somehow I still found and empty VP with that name) and I had to manual install.  Let's make sure it runs. . .

edit: appears to run just fine.
Also when WXLauncher complained I didn't have FSO 3.6.18 I finally realized why MVP 1014 has been fighting me so much since they came out: The installer never bothered to install a 3.7.x version.  Now that I have 3.7.2 it doesn't throw me any errors
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:16:39 am by BirdofPrey »
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You know, the 3.7.x versions are in the Installer; you just have to select them. :p

But the deal with the mods "already installed" seems to be pretty common.  I will try to redesign the installer to use a different method of detecting whether the mod is installed, as opposed to saving it in a config file.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
You rock, Goober!  I am still just amazed and glad that there is a working installer again!

Offline BirdofPrey

You know, the 3.7.x versions are in the Installer; you just have to select them. :p
I know, I have them installed now.  When I update that stuff is already pre-checked; I think the installer just had a hiccup.  It also did that to me with FSPort leaving me at version 3.3.

I was a bit miffed having to manually download a dozen files.

But the deal with the mods "already installed" seems to be pretty common.  I will try to redesign the installer to use a different method of detecting whether the mod is installed, as opposed to saving it in a config file.
Good to know it's not just me being an idiot (again)
Well in this case, I think the problem wasn't the checking of the config file as it was that when I told it to rerun installation on already installed mods, it didn't actually do that (iirc. it said already up to date and skipped them).

That said if you are doing an update, I would like to be able to uncheck mods so exclude some things from the reinstall everything option.

On a side note, how does it handle mirrors?  I have had it occasionally give me a failure and when I read the logs I got the impression there was a connection failure (I attached logs for a couple files that had that problem).  So far, though it's been a transient error and has affected a different file each time.

I don't know if this is recommended behavior or not, but when I had a similar issue while reinstalling BP, I deleted C:\Users\[my profile]\fsoinstaller.properties and everything worked great the next time I ran the installer.

Hey BirdofPrey, I thank you for creating this thread (or, I guess for dealing with all these problems) because now I know about fsoinstaller.properties. So, I thank you too, deathspeed - for posting this reply! I mean, I'm sure a time is coming for me where I will have to delete this file for a reinstall, and so this is going to save me the headache of searching through the Registry. :) Yeah, my first thought was that you needed to delete some entries out of the Registry. I'm embarrassed. lol

So yeah, I hope this makes you feel a little bit better for having to deal with these problems because this is benefiting at least one other person that I know of - ME! :)
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
On a side note, how does it handle mirrors?  I have had it occasionally give me a failure and when I read the logs I got the impression there was a connection failure (I attached logs for a couple files that had that problem).  So far, though it's been a transient error and has affected a different file each time.

It will try every mirror listed until it either downloads the file or runs out of mirrors.  If an error is encountered on one mirror but another one works, it will still log the error for record-keeping purposes.  But you only have to worry if a problem is indicated on the "finished installing" page.

And yes, sometimes mirrors will go down momentarily or otherwise experience transient errors.  It might be due to your connection or the host's connection.  Either way, the Installer can't help you with that.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
You're welcome, twocables, but I can't take credit for coming up with the idea.  I read it somewhere, I think in the installer release thread.  Glad it helped!

Offline BirdofPrey

Apparently I did not entirely fix the launcher problem I had.

Ran it to update FS:P and ST:R  Once again, it didn't show that they were out of date though it did show the new VPs so I chose rerun installation on already installed mods.

Now it's installing blue planet.
Which I still didn't have.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Ran it to update FS:P and ST:R  Once again, it didn't show that they were out of date though it did show the new VPs so I chose rerun installation on already installed mods.
It doesn't show that a mod is out of date on the list of which mods to install; the mod will remain grayed out and force-checked. Once you actually click "install", if there's an update, then it will install it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BirdofPrey

Considering what it's done to me in the past, I am not sure I trust it to actually do that.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Considering what it's done to me in the past, I am not sure I trust it to actually do that.

There's no need to trust it; just run it, hit "install", and see if it updates anything. If it doesn't, you can do whatever you were going to do anyway.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BirdofPrey

I don't trust it because sometimes it DOESN'T actually update something.

On a side note ran it today to install a mod.  Now it thinks I DON'T have a bunch of stuff I just downloaded a few days ago

I don't trust it because sometimes it DOESN'T actually update something.

On a side note ran it today to install a mod.  Now it thinks I DON'T have a bunch of stuff I just downloaded a few days ago

Weird. So, these are things that you used the installer to download but it doesn't "remember" that you used the installer to download them?

Offline BirdofPrey

Yeah.  I already mentioned it installed Blue planet for me without me asking which it doesn't say I have, but it also didn't register me as having most of the VPs, and only had half of Port and ST:R auto-checked.

Yeah.  I already mentioned it installed Blue planet for me without me asking which it doesn't say I have, but it also didn't register me as having most of the VPs, and only had half of Port and ST:R auto-checked.

I have a few questions:

When it installed Blue Planet on you, did you select "Basic", "Complete", or "Custom"?

When you say that it doesn't say that you have Blue Planet and that it doesn't show that you have most of the VPs (and what do you mean by "most of the VPs"?), what do you mean? Can you provide more details?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
and only had half of Port and ST:R auto-checked.
FSPort and ST:R updated recently, adding many new options to the installer; all those unchecked options were probably unchecked because they're new.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline BirdofPrey

No this was AFTER I had installed those.

It was mostly the recently updated FS:P stuff that was checked (one or two items were missing), but the main MVPs and Blue Planet (which got installed when I updated Port) were unchecked.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
It almost sounds like your fsoinstaller.properties file got damaged somehow...

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so