Author Topic: MediaVPs Problem?  (Read 1538 times)

I noticed that in the wxLauncher I'm using (the regular launcher just crashes without opening), when I select Blue Planet 2, it automatically selects MediaVPs 3.6.12 to use.
Is this supposed to happen? I was under the impression that it used MediaVPs 2014.

(Ironically, if I select Blue Planet 1, it will correctly choose MediaVPs 2014)

Everything was installed with the FSO Installer, and Blue Planet 2 does run, though I thought it looked a little... worse than I remember.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That's odd, the blueplanet2 install I have from the installer points to MediaVPs 2014 and wxlauncher selects it correctly.  Could you pastebin a copy of your blueplanet2/mod.ini?  Or maybe just rerun the installer and select "reinstall all mods" (if you don't mind using up some of your monthly bandwidth).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

That's odd, the blueplanet2 install I have from the installer points to MediaVPs 2014 and wxlauncher selects it correctly.  Could you pastebin a copy of your blueplanet2/mod.ini?  Or maybe just rerun the installer and select "reinstall all mods" (if you don't mind using up some of your monthly bandwidth).

Sure
*have never used pastebin in my life*
*pastebin's embed code fails*
*just copies the text into a code box*

Code: [Select]

# PLEASE NOTE ALL INI SETTINGS ARE *OPTIONAL*

# modname:       Display name only, so you can have spaces instead of underscores for multi word MOD's
    # image255x112:  Location of a 255x112 bmp you wish to display in the launcher
    # infotext:      Text that will appear in the launcher
    # website:       Link to your website
    # forum:         Link to your forum
    [launcher]
    modname      = Blue Planet 2;
    image255x112 = bplogo.bmp;
    infotext     = Eighteen months after Age of Aquarius, the UEF/GTVA war enters its final, apocalyptic phase.
    website      = http://blueplanet.hard-light.net;
    forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,169.0.html;
    [multimod]
    primarylist  = ;
    secondarylist = blueplanet,mediavps_3612;

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think you might have an old version of blueplanet2; my mod.ini is the same except that it has mediavps_2014 in the secondarylist. Try rerunning the installer, I think it should auto update blueplanet2 for you (this is contrary to what I said in my earlier post, I just remembered that the installer should auto-update to a new version if it's available).
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

According to the installer, the mod is up to date already.
The only thing it installed was the Ancient-Shivan War Act 1 and 2.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
OK - in that case just update blueplanet2/mod.ini to use mediavps_2014 instead.  Here's a copy of mine for reference:

# PLEASE NOTE ALL INI SETTINGS ARE *OPTIONAL*

# modname:       Display name only, so you can have spaces instead of underscores for multi word MOD's
# image255x112:  Location of a 255x112 bmp you wish to display in the launcher
# infotext:      Text that will appear in the launcher
# website:       Link to your website
# forum:         Link to your forum
[launcher]
modname      = Blue Planet 2;
image255x112 = bplogo.bmp;
infotext     = Eighteen months after Age of Aquarius, the UEF/GTVA war enters its final, apocalyptic phase.
website      = http://blueplanet.hard-light.net;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,169.0.html;
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondarylist = blueplanet,mediavps_2014;
----
----

That seems to have done it...
I'll run the game to check, but I doubt that anything will go wrong...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You may want to reinstall BP2 to be on the safe side (if you had the old mod.ini, it may be because an older version of the mod got installed over the installer-installed version, which the installer wouldn't notice because it only notices if the version online is newer than the version it last installed).

You can either check the checkbox to reinstall all installed mods or (if you'd rather just have it just check BP2) go to your user directory (e.g. C:\Users\<name>\) and open fsoinstaller.properties. Remove every line that starts with
Blue\ Planet\:\ War\ in\ Heaven
and the installer should think you no longer have it installed (it should be at most two lines; the main mod and the "Enhanced Graphics" pack).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.