Author Topic: GOG.com introduces GOG Connect  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
GOG.com introduces GOG Connect
Take a look.  Basically GOG.com struck a deal with some of their publishers so that, if you already own certain games on Steam, you can link your account there with your GOG account and get a free copy of the game on their service too.  There's a list of over 20 titles at the moment, and apparently more will be cycled in and out over time.  They're also having a sale on some of the titles involved; I picked up Saints Row 3 and UT 2004 on the cheap myself.  Only downside is that my link request "may take days to complete" because apparently everyone is hammering their servers.  :p

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: GOG.com introduces GOG Connect
Is the agreement reciprocal? Cause otherwise why would people buy games on GOG instead of Steam?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline qwadtep

Is the agreement reciprocal? Cause otherwise why would people buy games on GOG instead of Steam?
Because they prefer GOG's DRM-free distribution model?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I love how companies announce major initiatives like this to everyone, and don't expect the inevitable server load and resulting crash.

Guess I'll try again in a few days.  Good grief.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No it's not, though individual publishers are always free to grant Steam keys for people who buy their games elsewhere (see the Humble Store for one), so maybe at some point down the road they'll be able to incorporate that into GOG's site as well.  But regardless I think it's a smart move for GOG.  By allowing people to transfer over the titles they already own on Steam, you get an easy in for new potential customers, some of whom will likely stick around and check out the DRM-free ecosystem.  Hell, that's the exact same reason Valve is so free and easy with extra Steam keys to publishers; they know that a big chunk of the people who take advantage of them will wind up forking over their wallets in a future holiday sale.  Lord knows there have been a few titles I've wound up re-buying on GOG after already having them on Steam as a show of support, so it'll be nice to take advantage of this.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

Because GoG prices are in USD, while Steam is in your local currency, which can mean a hidden discount on GoG purchases if you know your exchange rates.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
If I find the same title on Steam and GoG for reasonably close to the same price, I'm going to choose the DRM-free one from the company that treats its customers WAY better.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Old games on GOG.com usually work, on steam it's pretty much a crapshoot, Jedi Knight has been without music for over a year before they fixed it (they tell me they finally did during last 4th May Star Wars sale if I remember correctly) but on GOG.com the music has been there since day one.
Similar story with Quake, no music on Steam while GOG.com had it since launch.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Old games on GOG.com usually work, on steam it's pretty much a crapshoot, Jedi Knight has been without music for over a year before they fixed it (they tell me they finally did during last 4th May Star Wars sale if I remember correctly) but on GOG.com the music has been there since day one.
Similar story with Quake, no music on Steam while GOG.com had it since launch.
And let's not forget FreeSpace 2, which still (AFAIK) doesn't work out-of-the-box on Steam.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If I find the same title on Steam and GoG for reasonably close to the same price, I'm going to choose the DRM-free one from the company that treats its customers WAY better.

I've already chosen to simply not do Steam anyway for exactly the same reason.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kszyhu

It's kinda hard to avoid Steam, though, as many games sold in retail require Steam account to work. I'm still kinda annoyed after I have bought boxed edition of Pillars of Eternity, misleading myself by thinking 'DRM free' monicker extended not only to a version given to Kickstarter backers, but also to retail version. Nope, Steam account required.

Because i used a shared GOG Account with a friend, this is no option for myself, as long you can connect only one Steam account... instead of GOG, we do not share our Steam accounts. Not only because you can not play two different games on the same time. With GOG you can even play the same game simultaneously.

But nice option, nevertheless.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
It's kinda hard to avoid Steam, though, as many games sold in retail require Steam account to work. I'm still kinda annoyed after I have bought boxed edition of Pillars of Eternity, misleading myself by thinking 'DRM free' monicker extended not only to a version given to Kickstarter backers, but also to retail version. Nope, Steam account required.

I have made my peace with Steam now, but I was pissed in 2005 when I found out I needed to use Steam to activate my boxed copy of Half Life 2.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I got my steam account along with my boxed FEAR 2.  I'm not happy about it, but worse things have happened.  I found out about summer sales MUCH sooner than I otherwise would have, and I've probably benefited more than lost on games I haven't played on those. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

I have made my peace with Steam now, but I was pissed in 2005 when I found out I needed to use Steam to activate my boxed copy of Half Life 2.
Me too, we didn't have ADSL connections on my island at the time.
But when we got them Steam was a blessing, games that I couldn't even find in the big city were just a few clicks away and often costed much less (yeah, brick and mortar stores here tended to inflate prices a lot), and then came GOG.com with all those games I wasn't able to even find when I was a teenager.
Say what you will about the death of phisical media, for me digital delivery is a blessing.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Say what you will about the death of phisical media, for me digital delivery is a blessing.

I used to always prefer a physical CD to a download, just because i wanted something tangible for my money.  But I think the last disc i bought from a store was Battlefield: Bad Company 2.  My first major download was BF3, but after that pretty much everything I have came through Steam, GOG, and Origin, and many of those came from Humble Bundles.  I still prefer GOG's DRM-free distribution, which allows me to copy to a physical disc if the urge ever hits.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:22:59 pm by deathspeed »
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Strangely, I'm all for digital distribution for games, yet I'm firmly against it when it comes to other forms of media.  (*glances warily at massive piles of anime DVDs/BDs scattered around room*)  I think the main reason is that there really isn't a comparable option to Steam or GOG for movies/TV and videos, which is of course squarely due to corporate bull**** from said media producers.  Yes, in (limited) cases you can get DRM-free options, but not in the same high quality/lossless format that a physical disk would lend you, and not nearly with the same level of convenience.  I mean imagine a world where the Steam release of a modern game was limited to 720p without anti-aliasing, and that's basically digital video content for you.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Strangely, I'm all for digital distribution for games, yet I'm firmly against it when it comes to other forms of media.  (*glances warily at massive piles of anime DVDs/BDs scattered around room*)  I think the main reason is that there really isn't a comparable option to Steam or GOG for movies/TV and videos, which is of course squarely due to corporate bull**** from said media producers.  Yes, in (limited) cases you can get DRM-free options, but not in the same high quality/lossless format that a physical disk would lend you, and not nearly with the same level of convenience.  I mean imagine a world where the Steam release of a modern game was limited to 720p without anti-aliasing, and that's basically digital video content for you.

I heartily agree. I'll keep buying disc copies of other media until I can download them in a quality nearly equivalent to disks and are not bound by retailer specific players or other things. Ironically we all swallow Steam basically being what it is because they're one of a handful and at least have some option of being DRM free.

I'm glad GoG is doing this, though won't help me much as I've already rebought games there that I own on Steam for the customer service and lack of DRM.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Looks like the original batch of games expires tomorrow, but there were a few more games added, including one I didn't even know I already owned on Steam (Door Kickers).

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Looks like the original batch of games expires tomorrow, but there were a few more games added, including one I didn't even know I already owned on Steam (Door Kickers).

I actually really like Door Kickers, although its restrictive campaign mode is...not to my taste.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story