Author Topic: Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam release 25 feb  (Read 35591 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: Homeworld Remastered Collection pre-order up on Steam release 25 feb
A good way to come out a richer man with the ghostship is to have a bunch of fighters/corvettes run interference and in the meantime send a fat wave of bombers around the back that attack the ghostship.
Or just park your capitals safe distance away. Enemy ships will come after your ships and you can butcher them just like normal. Once they're gone, you can take your time with what few strike craft you may have.

In other news, is it just me or are support frigates in remastered HW1 campaign worse at repairing ships mid-combat than they used to be in the original?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Support frigs "dock" with the ship they repair like harversters do when they repair ships in HW2, therefore they lose some time with manoeuvring and the range is lower.

HW1R is full of typical HW2 modding hacks.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline crizza

But it's real fun to see four repair corvettes circling while trying to repair each other :D

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Or just park your capitals safe distance away. Enemy ships will come after your ships and you can butcher them just like normal. Once they're gone, you can take your time with what few strike craft you may have.
Which is a terrible way to go about it, since you'll be destroying ships that will be yours after you deal enough damage to the ghostship.

Support frigs "dock" with the ship they repair like harversters do when they repair ships in HW2, therefore they lose some time with manoeuvring and the range is lower.

HW1R is full of typical HW2 modding hacks.
Yeah, the more time I'm thinking about it, (and lurking the /vg/ homeworld thread) the more it feels to me like this remaster is incredibly hackish and sloppy when it comes to dealing with HW1 related stuff. I called it a 9 outta 10 remaster before, but that 9 definitely doesn't apply to every aspect of it.
Formations being broken, tactics being literally useless, a lot of HW1 campaign events don't seem to trigger properly.
They definitely didn't port a lot of the HW1 mechanics into the HW2 engine properly.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
50s Soviets Space Subs FTW, the more Chris Fossian the paint job the better :D

HW1 ships might be better in some ways but two Trinity Cannon salvos rekts all the things.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Unknown mothership has breached the perimeter of the Taiidan system! All Home Guard units to their stations!

Recon wings are not reporting back. His Imperial Majesty directs a recon in force operation. CABG 2, move out.

Command, this is CABG 2. We have multiple ships of unknown types-Sajuuk, they have at least three dozen of our own ships in among them. I count at least twenty destroyer-class or above ships, unknown number of frigates and small craft...Turanic ships among them as well... They've seen us, multiple strikecraft and light frigates closing on our position. We are engaging.

Watch the spread, watch the spread!

Group Tiirshak, keep those bombers off the CAs. Group Triikor, keep those interceptors busy.

Light frigates entering ion cannon-father of mercy! They have multiple ion cannons on a hull that size? We just lost the Tel!

Kuudarks, break up that corvette wing!

Warning, warning, corvettes were screening a trio of heavy cruisers!

Command this CABG 2, we are withdrawing, request immediate reinforcements!

Stay still you little bastard-GOT HI-

He rammed the Raa after it damaged him. Father of mercy, they're mad.

CABG 2, this is Command. His Imperial Majesty directs you to hold position. Reinforcements are inbound.

Command, are you insane? We're way outgunned here!

CABG 2, hold position. Acknowledge.

CABG 2, respond.

-Your friends are dead. Inform your emperor that he is next.-
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Aesaar

Horrible nitpicking: The names given to Taiidan ship classes are the reporting names given to them by the Kushan, hence why they all reference things from Kharak or Kushan mythology.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Which is a terrible way to go about it, since you'll be destroying ships that will be yours after you deal enough damage to the ghostship.

I've never been much of a fan of capturing ships. I prefer to make my own fleet. :p

I am really pissed at how HW1R support frigates work now, it completely kills the playstyle I like to use in HW1. I don't wanna adapt. :(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:26:12 am by Fury »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Aesaar: Ironically, not all of them. (The Defense Field Frigate and Defense Field Fighter; hence the references to the Father of Mercy.)

Also, HW2 establishes that what we think of as Kharakian mythology probably has a wider basis, c.f. the Vaygr appropriating Sajuuk and it apparently being a common belief among several civilizations.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I've never been much of a fan of capturing ships. I prefer to make my own fleet. :p
You... You are not a true Hiigaran..!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
You... You are not a true Hiigaran..!
No wonder I could never beat HW1.

Yup, the multi-beam frigates have lost about 50% of their coolness :(

On the other hand ... man even the Kushan vessels look good now.

I'm a bit disappointed that the field frigate's shield is now a HW2 style active ability :s

Offline crizza

You can capture the heavy cruiser and the two destroyers at super nova station :D yai^^
I never finished HW1, I always failed at the hyperspace inhibitor...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Aesaar, MatthTheGeek, Caiaphas, and I just had a four-player multi match where two of us were Hiigaran and two were Taiidan, and all of us had no clue what we were doing. It was hilarious. Caiaphas got himself wiped out by MatthTheGeek early on, then Aesaar and I teamed up against MatthTheGeek. After Aesaar devastated what remained of his fleet after I lost my battlecruisers, we went into a holding pattern where we all built up our fleets (leaving poor Caiaphas bored to tears). MatthTheGeek decided to break the stalemate by jumping his fleet into Aesaar's, leaving them both in ruins and I jumped my own fleet in to mop up. It was a hectic game of hyperspace tag at the end, but the fact that I had a full set of heavy capital ships proved decisive, as 3 Hiigaran Battlecruisers and 7 Destroyers were more than a match for 4 Taiidani Missile Destroyers and a Destroyer. MatthTheGeek's flagship proved surprisingly durable, surviving long enough to jump away at least three times, but he finally jumped under my Mothership, where a dozen squadrons of bombers had just finished assembling, wiping it out before my Battlecruisers even finished jumping in (although it managed to finish builting another Heavy Cruiser right before its HP hit zero, which the BCs dropped to 0 HP right as the Taiidan flagship finished exploding).

It was hilarious fun.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Aesaar

Taiidan Destroyers are significantly better at killing capships than Hiigaran ones, but Hiigaran BCs are better ships than Taiidan Heavy Cruisers in pretty much every way (except that the BC needs a module to jump and a CA does not.  Also, Taiidan CAs look cooler).

Offline crizza

What the heck?!
They limited the salvage corvettes to 14?!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Thought I'd share a few wallpaper material I took over my playthrough.

People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Ah, the ol' giant sphere of beamy death... Good times.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
I managed to save 5 or 6 of the cryo trays.  I THINK one of them got blown up right as it was loading, but I was too busy to confirm.  I found out the best way to save the most trays is to start loading them immediately.  Capturing a frigate can wait.  Of course, if I am not mistaken the enemy fleet is scaled to your own, so since I had a decent sized group of strikecraft there quite a few enemy frigates.

Sure I'd capture the frigates if I could, but that's lower priority for me (though its a shame there's no bonus for saving more cryotrays unlike in HW2 where saving the 5th and 6th supply ship gets you bonus strikecraft).  I did jack all the Turanic raiders' corvettes, but was disappointed I couldn't steal their carrier (I'll grab a Taiidan carrier as soon as I can)  I wish capture could be box selected, so it didn't take as much micro to capture a bunch of ships at once.

I have to say I like how HW2 handles strikecraft better.  Individual corvettes and especially fighters die so quickly it's hard to dock them up in time whereas wings get free replacements even if you still have a single, burning fighter/corvette. Might have been easier if they autodocked when they hit yellow or red.  Speaking of which, I seem to remember HW1 was supposed to have a fuel mechanic, is that still around or are support frigates just repair vessels now?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
I disagree. HW2 handles squadrons and formation behaviour far worse than HW1 ever could have. ANd yeah, the repairing is a hackish version of the resource collector repair upgrade. Support frigates have to get in close and dock and as a result they're pretty much useless, since the time they take to dock vs. the damage they repair is not worth it vs a repair corvette swarm.

And no, fuel isn't present because HW:R is running on the HW2 engine.