Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 109058 times)

Offline Yarn

Re: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
No english text,laungage, or cutscenes?

You have to use the FSO installer to get them:

http://www.fsoinstaller.com/
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Well, I cant get them from the installer because i have the CD version of FS2.

If you have already installed FS2, that doesn't matter. Just point the installer to your FS folder, and it'll do the rest.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, I cant get them from the installer because i have the CD version of FS2.

The Installer isn't only for installing FSO (or FS2 for that matter).  It's also for installing mods.

Oh lol. Didnt read correctly. I thought FSO Installer wouldnt work with CD fs2.

Offline CT27

Apologies for what's probably a simple question, but it's an issue I haven't dealt with in a while (I haven't played FS1 in a while).

I want to play the original FS1 (through FSPort with the latest graphics...MediaVPs2014).  However, when I bring up mods in my launcher it looks like there are two tabs that I could choose:  "FSPort MediaVPs_2014 v 3.5" and simply"FSPort 3.5".  Which one would I choose?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Apologies for what's probably a simple question, but it's an issue I haven't dealt with in a while (I haven't played FS1 in a while).

I want to play the original FS1 (through FSPort with the latest graphics...MediaVPs2014).  However, when I bring up mods in my launcher it looks like there are two tabs that I could choose:  "FSPort MediaVPs_2014 v 3.5" and simply"FSPort 3.5".  Which one would I choose?
If you want to play with the MediaVPs, you choose FSPort MediaVPs. If you want to play with the original graphics, you choose just FSPort by itself.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CT27

Thanks.  I tried the one with 2014 in the title and that worked, I got the 2014 VPs.

However, when I tried simply "FSPort 3.5" I got better than original retail graphics, they looked like the 2012 VPs at least.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
However, when I tried simply "FSPort 3.5" I got better than original retail graphics, they looked like the 2012 VPs at least.

It could be that you have a stray VP in your path, or a different command line than you expect.  Could you post your fs2_open.log file?  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline CT27

I think I was looking at things wrong, I tried it again and it looked like retail.

Here's the log in any case.

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Command line looks good.  If you see retail models now then it looks like things are working fine.

I seem to have a problem with 3.5, don't know if it's intentional.

I installed everything manually. Downloaded the FSport Mediavps and the Mediavps 2014 patch, extracted them to the fsport-mediavps_2014 folder. All ship models look good except for the Valkyrie, Anubis and Aten who are still displaying the old models.

Here's my log if it helps.

Thanks for such an amazing port.

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It looks like you've unpacked the FSPort MediaVPs directly into the FSPort folder. They need to be in their own mod folder to work properly. Otherwise they'll get overridden!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Yep, that fixed it.

God, I need better reading comprehension, I had all my files jumbled up :banghead:.

Thank you very much.

Hey everyone!

I am having some issues with my Freespace Port. I cannot get any of the voice acting from the original game, all I get is a women's voice similar to Siri. Am I missing the wav files or any other files that are associated with the command briefing/pilot/command voices? thanks!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:welcome:

The FreeSpace Port does not officially provide the voice acting from FS1.  You can try moving the WAV files from FS1, or using the FreeSpace Open Installer to install the Port.  (Note: the FSO Installer requires Java.)

Thank you! I downloaded everything from 3.5 but I was able to get the voice acting by grabbing the stu_fs1.vp from a previous version, however I have one last question. The only thing missing now is the sounds for the cannons and the lasers. Explosions, missiles, and ships all have their sounds, but whenever I fire my cannons there's nothing. Is there any specific file that I can grab (in this case I am taking files from v3.3 and applying it to v3.5) that can add sound to the cannons? Or is this a similar issue of the port not having the correct file? Thanks again.

Offline Yarn

You have to use the installer that Goober linked to.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Heads up.. I need to shut down my old server (lunardigitalproductions.com). If you guys are still relying on any files being hosted there, I recommend uploading a mirror and updating your installer files.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Noted, thanks.  I just checked and the FSPort installer text file doesn't link to anything on lunardigitalproductions.com.  The cutscenes and main halls were already mirrored on our FSMods account.