Author Topic: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!  (Read 109056 times)

Offline CT27

Re: FreeSpace Port 3.5 + FSPort Media VPs Release!
I was playing a FSPort campaign (Shrouding The Light to be specific) after using the Installer recently to download the latest FSPort 3.5 and it looked like one of the models (Seth fighter) is now in the 2012VP appearance whereas before I used the Installer it looked like the 2014 version.

What should the mod.ini read like to make sure all models look like the 2014 mediaVPs?

Offline Yarn

I was playing a FSPort campaign (Shrouding The Light to be specific) after using the Installer recently to download the latest FSPort 3.5 and it looked like one of the models (Seth fighter) is now in the 2012VP appearance whereas before I used the Installer it looked like the 2014 version.

What should the mod.ini read like to make sure all models look like the 2014 mediaVPs?
For most FSPort mods (Silent Threat: Reborn being a notable exception), the [multimod] section should look like this:
Code: [Select]
secondarylist = fsport-mediavps_2014,fsport,mediavps_2014;
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline CT27

For most FSPort mods (Silent Threat: Reborn being a notable exception), the [multimod] section should look like this:
secondarylist = fsport-mediavps_2014,fsport,mediavps_2014;

Thank you.  While we're on this subject, what should ST:R's multimod section look like for the new version and FSPort new version?

Offline Yarn

Thank you.  While we're on this subject, what should ST:R's multimod section look like for the new version and FSPort new version?

The default mod.ini that comes with ST:R 1.4 uses the 2014 MediaVPs. Here are its contents:
[launcher]
modname      = Silent Threat: Reborn v1.4 - MediaVPs 2014;
image255x112 = fsport-str.bmp;
infotext     = As the Great War rages on, you've been commissioned by Galactic Terran Intelligence for special intelligence operations.  Your objectives are to contain the Shivan onslaught and preserve the fragile Terran-Vasudan alliance.  But a series of suspicious events cloud the GTI's spotless record.  Is the GTI setting you up or are the Shivans spreading their evil rage?;
website      = http://fsport.hard-light.net/website/str/;
forum        = http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=140.0;

[multimod]
primarylist = fsport-mediavps_2014;
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_2014;
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Why would anyone try this manually? The installer ques up the downloads and installs everything for you. We wanted the installer for many years so enjoy it

Because the installer fails to detect what is present already and I am not in the mood of redownloading everything.
The installer does check what's present already, just not before you make your decision about which mods to install. When it goes to actually install the mod, it checks to see if any of the destination files are already there; if they are, it does a checksum comparison to see if they're the same as the ones it's being told to install. If they are, it should skip them. I've had this happen multiple times when a mod I had already installed got added to the installer; I'd re-run the installer, tell it to install the new mod, and after a few seconds it had confirmed that all of the checksums matched and "installation" was done.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
>The Darkness and the Light
>Disable and disarm Ramses before the Taranis arrives
>Nothing happens, probably scripted that way
>Anywho
>Taranis jumps in
>Take out frustrations on Taranis, disable it so it can't get away
>Subsequently destroy Taranis
>Destroy cargo and lingering Shivans, then jump out
>Get lectured about how destroying the Taranis is a "serious blow" to the GTA and I'm grounded until further notice
>Click "Accept"
>Next mission: Capture the Taranis

Welp
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Yarn

>The Darkness and the Light
>Disable and disarm Ramses before the Taranis arrives
>Nothing happens, probably scripted that way
>Anywho
>Taranis jumps in
>Take out frustrations on Taranis, disable it so it can't get away
>Subsequently destroy Taranis
>Destroy cargo and lingering Shivans, then jump out
>Get lectured about how destroying the Taranis is a "serious blow" to the GTA and I'm grounded until further notice
>Click "Accept"
>Next mission: Capture the Taranis

Welp
The problem is that the mission no longer has the "Taranis dead" event, which is needed for the mission to fail after the Taranis arrives. That event got removed a few months before FSPort 3.4 when Goober added some hacks that ensure that the Taranis actually does destroy the Ramses; he was probably unaware of that event's significance. I'll add it back in for the next release.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:58:34 pm by Yarn »
--strings.tbl, entry 177

--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I removed the event because it did nothing and wasn't referenced within the mission.  Turns out it's referenced in the campaign file.  Oops. :o

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You mean you guys never tested your missions after making such changes? Harumph.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Antares

Harumph indeed!  :p
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Harumph. :p

Yarn's fix has been uploaded.  Re-running the installer will download the new version of fsport-missions.vp.

Offline Antares

The Big Bang: Throws a warning about being unable to find a ship model. Loading the mission results in the GTSC Asimov being replaced by a Ulysses. Science vessel model shows up fine in the tech room. (Present both before and after Yarn's change.)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That's odd.  I just checked the files and the mission uses the correct ship class.  Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
That's odd.  I just checked the files and the mission uses the correct ship class.  Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Works for me, too.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Antares

In skimming over the log file, it looks like my ship and weapons tables may be corrupted (although I'm not sure how, but possibly as a result of trying to play Operation Templar with FSPort enabled a few days ago, which was certainly a different experience). What do I need to download to get fresh ones?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Post your log file and we'll tell you what you need to do...

(And by the way, the Port contains its own version of Operation Templar which requires no additional mods.)

Offline Antares

Nevermind, had fsport-Ross128.vp inside the fsport directory and it was mucking things up.  :rolleyes:

Offline AV8R

If all I want is the new MediaVP_2014 goodness, do I have to download the 3612 stuff too? Is the fsport-mediavps folder even necessary anymore for FSPort?

Edit: Everything seems to work without it...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The two FSPort mediavp folders are designed to not depend on each other.  You don't have to install both if you don't want to.

Offline technopredator

• Does not compute
  • Don't get mad, consequences are revenging you.
Thank you for a updated version guys, much appreciated.