Author Topic: Game does not start, but I get no error  (Read 1887 times)

Game does not start, but I get no error
I went through the troubleshooting and the FAQ, but I didn't find anything that worked. The problem is that, when in the wxLauncher i press "Play", nothing happens. From the task manager I see the process running, but even waiting for the "ghost" intro movie to end and to get to the main hall nothing happens. After some tries, I launched Freespace from the original executable (freespace 2, dating 1999). On the little menu that popped up, I pressed play and got the message that I had not enough memory. I was using the 3.7.2 RC5 build of the launcher and after checking the FAQ I sow that it was reccommanded to use the 3.7.0 build... but still it does not work. Attached, the log.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline coffeesoft

• Bip Bip
Re: Game does not start, but I get no error
WARNING! No pilot selected! We should be exiting the game now!

Looking at the log, i think you just need to create a pilot first.

As well there are some missing tbl files...

Wokka!  Error opening file (scripting.tbl)!
Wokka!  Error opening file (interface.tbl)!
Wokka!  Error opening file (armor.tbl)!

Try to launch without any mod loaded.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:42:28 pm by coffeesoft »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The problem is that, when in the wxLauncher i press "Play", nothing happens.
Next time you try this, wait until you see the message "Error in retrieving highlights" in the status bar at the bottom of the wxLauncher window before you try clicking "Play"; sometimes I've noticed that clicking it before it's finished trying to retrieve the highlights (which is currently broken due to changes to the HLP frontpage :nervous:) results in it locking up.

After some tries, I launched Freespace from the original executable (freespace 2, dating 1999). On the little menu that popped up, I pressed play and got the message that I had not enough memory.
That probably sounds like the retail launcher (FreeSpace2.exe) instead of the retail game (FS2.exe). The retail launcher is... unlikely to work on a modern system.

I was using the 3.7.2 RC5 build of the launcher and after checking the FAQ I sow that it was reccommanded to use the 3.7.0 build... but still it does not work.
The FAQ is outdated. 3.7.2 RC5 should be more stable (and featureful) than 3.7.0 Final (also, there is no "3.7.2 RC5 build of the launcher"; there's the 5.5g Launcher (which is rather old, but may still work), and then there's wxLauncher, which is usually preferred).

As well there are some missing tbl files...

Wokka!  Error opening file (scripting.tbl)!
Wokka!  Error opening file (interface.tbl)!
Wokka!  Error opening file (armor.tbl)!

Try to launch without any mod loaded.
That is without any mod loaded. None of those files are present in retail, so of course it can't open them. The only way to avoid those errors is with a mod.

Code: [Select]
Got event GS_EVENT_QUIT_GAME (5) in state GS_STATE_INITIAL_PLAYER_SELECT (37)
Are you hitting escape or something while waiting for the game to come up? That's the usual way a quit signal gets sent during player selection.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Wild guess, but in Advanced Settings -> Troubleshoot select "Disable OpenGL VBO".

Thanks for the suggestions, bit it still doesn't work. Answering you in order:

Looking at the log, i think you just need to create a pilot first.
That's the problem. I can't even see the main hall. I created a profile on the "Welcome" page of the wxLauncher, different from the Default one, if this is your concern. But for the pilot itself, I have no means to create it without first getting in the game.

As well there are some missing tbl files... [...] Try to launch without any mod loaded.
Actually, that try was without any mod loaded... :/

Next time you try this, wait until you see the message "Error in retrieving highlights" in the status bar at the bottom of the wxLauncher window before you try clicking "Play"; sometimes I've noticed that clicking it before it's finished trying to retrieve the highlights (which is currently broken due to changes to the HLP frontpage :nervous:) results in it locking up.
About this, I have another pc with freespace and a few mods, with everything working perfectly. I was aware of this problem about the news, and rather than waiting for the error message, I disabled the "retrieve news at start up". It is much faster and it works properly: you do not have for the error message to pop up before starting the game without the wxLauncher freezing and not responding anymore ;)

That probably sounds like the retail launcher (FreeSpace2.exe) instead of the retail game (FS2.exe). The retail launcher is... unlikely to work on a modern system.
Yes, on that run I started the game from freespace2.exe and not from FS2.exe. Loading the game from the FS2.exe results in the error of not enough memory showing up.

The FAQ is outdated. 3.7.2 RC5 should be more stable (and featureful) than 3.7.0 Final (also, there is no "3.7.2 RC5 build of the launcher"; there's the 5.5g Launcher (which is rather old, but may still work), and then there's wxLauncher, which is usually preferred).
Sorry, I messed up a few words :( The launcher is wxLauncher, the executable was 3.7.0. In this next log attached, I'm using 3.7.2 RC5 :)

That is without any mod loaded. None of those files are present in retail, so of course it can't open them. The only way to avoid those errors is with a mod.
In the log attached, I'm using a mod to avoid this error.

Are you hitting escape or something while waiting for the game to come up? That's the usual way a quit signal gets sent during player selection.
Probably what you see is me pressing the "kill" button, since it's the only different thing I see. The game is running because I see the process, but the only visible thing I get is the button that changes from "play" to "kill". The game, or the intro movie, or any kind of error message won't show up, even waiting a quarter of hour. Other than the ctrl+alt+canc, sometimes I wrote on a chat and sometimes not. On another computer I have in which the game works perfectly, I don't even have to wait a second before the intro movie show up, and when i write on the chat while waiting the game to give any sign of life, I wait around 10 seconds.

Wild guess, but in Advanced Settings -> Troubleshoot select "Disable OpenGL VBO".
Done. Still not working.

Attached the log, with all the suggestion you gave me. Thanks for your time :)

[attachment deleted by nobody]

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
You do not have a complete installation.  The movies are missing.  I would recommend you use the installer to install FSOpen. 
http://www.fsoinstaller.com/
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Are you using another language besides English?

These lines made me wonder:

ERROR: Unknown Language Checksum: 589986744
Using default language settings...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_root-lcl.tbm' ...
Setting language to English

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Are you using another language besides English?

These lines made me wonder:

ERROR: Unknown Language Checksum: 589986744
Using default language settings...
TBM  =>  Starting parse of 'mv_root-lcl.tbm' ...
Setting language to English
That just means that the "Language" registry entry isn't set (for whatever reason) and the checksum of the first font file doesn't match the language auto-detection settings.

The odd thing is that 589986744 is the checksum for English, so that code may have gotten screwed up with one of the localization patches last year.

Probably what you see is me pressing the "kill" button, since it's the only different thing I see. The game is running because I see the process, but the only visible thing I get is the button that changes from "play" to "kill". The game, or the intro movie, or any kind of error message won't show up, even waiting a quarter of hour. Other than the ctrl+alt+canc, sometimes I wrote on a chat and sometimes not. On another computer I have in which the game works perfectly, I don't even have to wait a second before the intro movie show up, and when i write on the chat while waiting the game to give any sign of life, I wait around 10 seconds.
Have you tried alt-tabbing to see if it's there but minimized for some reason, and/or tried running it in a window?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.