Author Topic: HLP Hardware and OS Survey 2015  (Read 4813 times)

Re: HLP Hardware and OS Survey 2015
Filled in my specs to the form
i5 3570k
16GB RAM
1Gb internet

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
I am wondering if you might also want to ask what display resolution people are running as well.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Just finished. Afraid I didn't know about my OpenGL but if I find out I'll edit it to include it. My PC is an old one so probably a poor example but hope it is of help.

GPUZ didn't have the Open GL versions

GPU Caps Viewer shows OpenGL version
http://www.geeks3d.com/20150127/gpu-caps-viewer-1-23-0-released/

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
@ Fury

I used to have one during the blogging heyday before tweets and fb de facto killed it, but I closed it at one point because of TOS or something. Don't remember. Probably need it again (whether I like it or not) depending on where life takes me, I suppose. (insert juggernaught megacorp arguments here... but then again MS is no better :nervous:)

Yeah I can understand the "change is constant, no choice but to keep up" argument, it's fine. I'm just somewhat irked with the possible scenario e.g. a 2D sprite game or a Visual Novel type game, or even some low-budget 3D FPS boomHEADSHOT/aircraft pewpewFOX2/racer fnf turbo NAAWZZZ/whatever; gfx levels and feature set don't look like they would demand the absolute latest i3/5/7 setups, seems workable on a competent C2D/Quad without too much FPS hiccups, but then you load it up, and then it just... crawls, even on the lowest settings.

I don't think I'm some crazy luddite either, I just kinda don't see the Core 2 -> Core iX architecture jump as extreme as my little kid days (P1 133Mhz/Win95/FRED1 when Pentium 4's were halfway through their lifespan). But now late in the i7 generation, run stuff with a C2D and it's just slow/laggy...

Ah well enough of my ranting to nowhere... gaaah this just makes me worried, what if by the time I go all out on an i7, suddenly Intel/AMD introduce an all-new platform? Obsolete overnight. But that's how fast IT moves. :banghead:

Anyway TLDR right now I'm on some "long-term borrowed" i7 2xxx laptop because the old Q6600 is NTLDR is missing and fixboot fixmbr didn't work this time and live CD's don't load.
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
So its safe to assume that standard FSO rig is a dual-core 4gb ram, opengl 4.0 1gb Vram machine. How exactly is this useful?
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
So its safe to assume that standard FSO rig is a dual-core 4gb ram, opengl 4.0 1gb Vram machine. How exactly is this useful?

Quad Core (given FSO's single core nature I would have said CPU speed was more relevant but hey ho)
8gb Ram
^These two guide Moders on how system heavy they can make their content

OpenGL 4.0-4.5
Operating System
Instruction Set
^Guide FSO on how new features using modern technology will affect FSO player/userbase accessibility

The Rest is just cool to know
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
I don't think I'm some crazy luddite either, I just kinda don't see the Core 2 -> Core iX architecture jump as extreme as my little kid days (P1 133Mhz/Win95/FRED1 when Pentium 4's were halfway through their lifespan). But now late in the i7 generation, run stuff with a C2D and it's just slow/laggy...
Apart from games, it's hard to find a good reason for upgrades these days. My primary system is still built around an AMD 4850e from 2008 (and the few games I care to play are even older).
The last major upgrade I had to do was when I needed a new video card, but couldn't find anything nice for my AGP mobo..

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
I have multiple machines. Can I take the survey more than once?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:53:01 pm by FlamingMamba »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Can I take the survey more than once?
Nope. Or you can if you have multiple google accounts, but really, just pick the pc you use for playing latest games.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Had to do a bit of digging on the supported versions of stuff, but...done. Hope it helps someone!  :D

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Windows 10 and DX12 should probably be added to the list.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Those will be in the list next year, as neither was or still is officially available.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Pre-release OSes shouldn't really ever be in the survey.

Still think screen size and resolution should be, though
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Those will be in the list next year, as neither was or still is officially available.
Pre-release OSes shouldn't really ever be in the survey.

Still think screen size and resolution should be, though

Considering we've been officially recommending 3.7.2 RCx for how long now...

The OS (10 Tech Preview) is rock solid as far as I've seen. I mean, do what you want, but IMHO it's running fine.

Besides.

All you're going to accomplish is artificially inflating Win 7 / Win 8.1 results.  i.e., I would choose one of those instead of accurately reporting that I use 10 Tech Preview (because I haven't had a reason to boot into 7 since installing it).  :shrug: