Author Topic: FreeSpace movie or HBO series?  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Re: FreeSpace movie or HBO series?
Lastnight I got carried away with the idea of BP as a tv series and decided to watch Darius's voice acted "Artemis Station" video and also the Act 3 Intro on Youtube. I did this through my android box and watched it on my 40inch TV in 1080.

In all honesty, I was blown away at how good these videos transalated to a bigger screen as I usually play with 17inch monitors. So, if these Youtube videos can do it, I believe with the right filters in an editing suite, the FS2 open engine would be good enough to translate to the big screens. The models looked perfect, the only down side being a very slight cartoony feel in the movement and the sheen on the ships, which I believe could be fixed via a filter.

I find it quite a crazy thought that a good FREDder could essentially become the special effects wizard needed for those big battle scenes. The only thing needed then would be the more traditional film making methods for the live action scenes! That should bring the budget down a bit! :)

I do not feel... I think!

Offline leoben

Re: FreeSpace movie or HBO series?
Sorry, but no :)

Most scenes you see in modern CG TV shows and movies are rendered on big render farms, and each frame takes a lot of time to complete. Games use a technique called rasterization - it's simply not at the level of realism that ray casting and ray tracing can do, and those work with extremely large datasets. Trust me when I say, rasterization is no good for modern CG TV or movies :)