Author Topic: Capital ship fighter complement  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Re: Capital ship fighter complement
Wikification pls~

Do I need to do that? Because I am unfamiliar with updating a wiki (let alone the Freespace wiki).

EDIT: Ok, I'm done b!tching. I'm reading through the Freespace Wiki Canon rules now. I'll get this posted somewheres as soon as I can.

EDIT2: Ok, I can't seem to login to Freespace Wiki because I'm not allowed to register. Yeah, I don't get it either. :confused:

EDIT3: Ok, gonna need help with this because I've looked through here, here, and here and I still can't figure out how to submit my fighter complement thesis. :nervous: :confused: :nervous:

The good news is, I've reworked it into a Word doc.file so it's ready to be posted. I can send it to anyone who knows how to submit it.

And yes, I made sure to include the 'Su-tehp talks out of his ass for the first time since returning from his 17 year absence from HLP' secondary title in my thesis because that's just too funny (as well as too honest) not to include.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 01:54:05 am by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
If Shivan ships are not meant to be carriers,what's with the massive spacecraft deployment then?The way they're deployed it would drain their ship's fighter reserves really rather quickly,especially if Alpha 1 is on the field.

The canon never goes out and says it - the in-universe language is purely speculative - but the shivan capital ships in FS1 are meant to have a more command and control role for their fighter compliments rather than direct support, see the Taranis and the Zenith in FS1. Correlate that with the hints of the Shivans being hiveminded or having another form of communual psyche (e.g. the disregard for the survival of the pilots and ships), and retroactive "the Lucifer being destoryed stopped the Shivans in the Great War dead in their tracks" in FS2, you can infer that there is a hirarchy of coordination formed by Shivan capital ships - like a hierarchical computer network, with the Lucifer being the highest on the ladder in FS1 and no equivalent seen in FS2.

Most fanon makes due with the Lucifer being destroyed being at least disorienting for an overall hivemind, BP declared the Lucifer to be an "eyebeam" of the wider meta-entity governing all Shivans ... Personally I am more a fan of approach that takes cues from distributed computing, i.e. the more Shivans are in place, and therefore directly connected to each other, the more powerful a meta-entity they will form via their quantum-wave commuincation.

EDIT2: Ok, I can't seem to login to Freespace Wiki because I'm not allowed to register. Yeah, I don't get it either. :confused:

Unilaterally registing an account on the wiki has been disabled, as result of recurring bot infestations. Source
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Ok, just PM'ed Goob with a request for the Wiki membership. I'll have this canon fighter complement article wikified yet!

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

:yes: :yes:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Lulz. So Https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Capital Ship Fighter Complements Is ready, and yes, that is the actual title of the damn page because it got doubled up like that when I created the page and it wouldn't let me delete the page or edit the address. :nono: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Here's the real link to the properly created page: I'm a dumbass and that's ok! I drink all night and I sleep all day! :sigh:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 04:16:02 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick

You can rename wiki articles by clicking on "move", next to "edit" and "history" at the top of the page.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
What about deleting an article? Because now I have two separate pages, one properly created, the other not.

The Order of the Stick

I don't think normal users can delete pages (not even flag pages as "deletion candidates", what would certainly be useful), only admins can.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Then I'll let the admins delete this page: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Capital_Ship_Fighter_Complements so long as they leave https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Capital_Ship_Fighter_Complements alone.

EDIT: Ok, I edited the former page to have nothing but a link to the latter page, so I'll let the admins deal with the fallout (assuming they even know about it).  :ick:

In any case, the wikification operation/delivery was successful. The kid looks a little funny, but I think he'll turn out alright.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:06:44 pm by Su-tehp »

The Order of the Stick