Author Topic: Mass Effect: Andromeda  (Read 61494 times)

Offline Luis Dias

A few interesting things.

From the briefing video, we have Alec Ryder, former N7, pathfinder. And next to him we have a description. Here:

I took notice on that last sentence (he did design SAM). Alec became interested in artificial intelligence as a means of human advancement. 2 things right off the bat:

1, Bioware would have never written that if it were just meaningless fluff. It totally is a foreshadowing of something.
2. I don't think I need to tell you that the whole brouhaha over the entire last trilogy was about AI in the first place.

So this is major, and it will definitely play a big role in the story.

His daughter has some affinities with Prothean artifacts and tech. Play with that how you will, I'm not terribly interested in that, but I can see how it could play a major role (imagine if some protheans managed to escape to Andromeda 50k years before them....).

Take Cora Harper now:

Interesting tidbit: She is the second in command (next to Alec) and "if warranted his successor as Pathfinder". So how the heck do we become the next pathfinder? Interesting threads.

SAM is the AI desinged by Alec himself. Now, will SAM become a full fledged AI? The video describes how SAM is inherently linked with Alec himself. So an interesting possibility here is how Alec and SAM are probably going to try the full ME3 synthesis solution in one individual.

I'm probably overreaching here.

Offline Luis Dias

Something funny I found on twitter

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
She has a REALLY square face.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

@Luis

Reddit says that her face could be based on Miss Switzerland's one :P Dominique Rinderknecht.

https://imgur.com/gallery/G9sXy#HyX5dHb

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
That AI line has me a little worried. If the setup for Andromeda is pre-ME3 then how the hell did the Alliance get away with AI research especially with other species as members of the Andromeda initiative. I know marketing is marketing but given ME's history of leaks and marketing ****ups I'm more worried now than I have been. Wasn't gonna preorder anyways but that was a big turnoff. Hope I'm wrong.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Luis Dias

Pretty sure they mean "AI" as just some sort of advanced VI, to skip the Council's strict laws about it.

I'm also pretty sure this "AI" will become a lot more than just a VI, in order to keep Mass Effect's overal theme about AI in the first place. Also keep in mind that by ME3 everyone was just okay-ish with AIs running ships around (SR2 ?).

While I'm always weary of ****ups, this is the kind of mistake I don't see Bioware running into. They are filled with experienced writers. Anyone there would be shouting alarms if this ended up being the case.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm also pretty sure this "AI" will become a lot more than just a VI, in order to keep Mass Effect's overal theme about AI in the first place. Also keep in mind that by ME3 everyone was just okay-ish with AIs running ships around (SR2 ?).

Except that Trainor didn't know EDI was an AI until Sheppard told her; by the time it becomes public knowledge (if it ever does), everyone's too busy not getting killed by Reapers to care much.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

Yeah, I agree. But OTOH, she's never really shocked about it. The briefing is too.... honest within ME2verse. I mean... not only a real AI, but one that has instant access to the pathfinders and their squads? That's kinda messed up... from an in-universe marketing standpoint.

Love the thundercats though.

Offline Luis Dias

e: new small thought: it could be that this AI program inside the Andromeda Initiative is direct evidence that this is a program that doesn't really have the Council approval; but also that it was partially funded by Cerberus itself (at least the human one). Cerberus could well end up like a major McGuffin at the beggining, and a development arc for miss Parker there.

Unless the whole game is about a giant Cerberus arc, I'm fine with it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
@Luis

Reddit says that her face could be based on Miss Switzerland's one :P Dominique Rinderknecht.

https://imgur.com/gallery/G9sXy#HyX5dHb

Cora's got Jimmy hills chin.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

her class is vanguard except instead of charging with biotics she sticks her chin out and books it
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

Mass Effect official twitter on Cora Harper:

"Bending the rules" uh? That seems rather Harper-ish to me.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No need to keep harping on about it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh my godddddd enough ****ing Cerberus please

No. ;____; In my eyes they were at least 2x more interesting organization then blue, boring Systems Alliance. What the devs did to them in 3'rd game was a damn shame.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole  thing was at least co- funded by Cerberus (dunno. let's say they knew about Reapers coming. So they helped the initiative which could be used as a safeguard for humanity's survival in case Shepard's failure). Still, I think that Cora's last name is most likely a coincidence.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
We need more black lancerberus.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

No. ;____; In my eyes they were at least 2x more interesting organization then blue, boring Systems Alliance. What the devs did to them in 3'rd game was a damn shame.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole  thing was at least co- funded by Cerberus (dunno. let's say they knew about Reapers coming. So they helped the initiative which could be used as a safeguard for humanity's survival in case Shepard's failure). Still, I think that Cora's last name is most likely a coincidence.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

I would just like to point out that that is a really good read, Battuta.

Offline Luis Dias

Can't wait till SAM shows his true face and it's the Illusive Man's AI virtual copy, managing a strategy to try to control the NEXUS And the Keth and **** over those Thundercats in the path towards Andromeda domination.

It will be burrillliant.

Offline Luis Dias

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27792

Just to say that I'm really enjoying this read, currently at the middle of ME2 analysis and I'm yet to find any word that I disagree one inch of. Many times I just find myself skipping entire paragraphs because I know (and agree with) exactly what he is saying.

I was merely surprised by the idea that many people actually thought of Ashley as a "racist" douchebag. I thought of that as some kind of cute nickname, like "the racist team mate (that totally isn't, I'm just teasing her)", but apparently a lot of people really make that judgement. That to me was surprising in a negative way.