Author Topic: Refresh rate vs. Resolution  (Read 1283 times)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Refresh rate vs. Resolution
I am looking at getting a 27" monitor to replace my Asus 24" 1920x1080, with a hard cap of $250.

I am running a Core i5 6600K overclocked to 4.1 GHz, 16 GB DDR4, and an RTX 2060. 

I tend to play action games - air/space shooters, FPS, racing, etc.  Forza Horizon 4 is probably the most demanding game I play, or the upcoming Star Wars Squadrons.

My big question is do I go for a 1440P resolution, or a 144+ Hz refresh rate?  I was first leaning toward increased resolution, but then I read somewhere than many people see more of a difference with increased refresh rate.

I've read about pros and cons and it sounds like it comes down to personal preference, but I don't know which I prefer.  So I thought I would see what you all prefer, and why? 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Re: Refresh rate vs. Resolution
For fast-paced games, like it seems you prefer, refresh rate is definitely going to be more noticeable.

That said, past a certain point, you're not super likely to notice much of a difference either way. Anything you could do to get a nice balance, maybe 120Hz?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's definitely a noticeable improvement in going from 60Hz to 100 or 120. Beyond that, the benefits get more marginal.

That said, within that price range, it will be easier to find a good 1080p high refresh rate display than a good 1440p screen.

EDIT: Hah, I'm wrong. This monitor, a 144Hz 1440p screen, costs just 249 USD at time of posting: https://www.amazon.com/AOC-CQ27G1-DisplayPort-adjustable-Zero-Bright/dp/B07V39QHMY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&qid=1597902475&refinements=p_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A17751808011%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A3547807011&s=computers-intl-ship&sr=1-3
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:49:01 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Thanks for the replies (and the link!) 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Note that in Freespace, it's very hard to actually get 100+fps consistently on any hardware. Many missions drop down to 40-50fps in heavy fights due to engine limitations. In other games (especially racing) there is a big improvement at high refresh rates.

Offline ryanchealth

• Why did I want a job at 16?
I know this is an old post but I figured I would ask here.  I have a pretty good machine but everytime I run Blue Planet at 120 Hz and 4K it crashes. It's a 144 Hz monitor but it never runs for more than a few minutes at 144hz.  My GPU only at 60%-70% MAX.  Running MSI Afterburner with the fans running a little extra seems to help but it still crashes if it is a long mission.  Temps can get a bit high on the CPU side but not the GPU (MSI Afterburner keeps it within a respectable limit but CPU runs hotter).  5900x, 32 Gigs ram, 3080 TI