Author Topic: N1 harbinger question:  (Read 138 times)

Offline starlord

N1 harbinger question:
I was wondering that: it is stated that the harbinger was already used before the deployment of the ursa.

My question is, how would it have been deployed? By capital ships? Transports?

Re: N1 harbinger question:
The Fenris and the Leviathan used to have "Fusion Mortars", which uses the same model as the Harbinger. However, the FM is a rapid fire weapon that does little damage and cant be shot down; obviously for balance reasons.

Habringer's tech description mentioned something about bombarding planetary targets as their general designed use.

Also, the GTA must have had some sort of a different bomber prior to the deployment of Ursa - after all, there was 14 years of warfare before the events of FS1. It's possible that that other craft was carrying these bombs, too.
Mito [PL] - Today at 8:52 PM
I was supposed to make a short presentation about basics of optical fibers and here I am, listening to Eurobeat while reading about quantum cryptography.

Offline starlord

I personally understood it that the ursa was actually the first bomber to be deployed with such ordinance, and to me it seems that if capital ships could just so easily swap mortars for harbingers, then they would have done it before.

Maybe the previous harbinger wasn’t developed as a tactical tool, but rather strategical, like the meson bomb in FS2, which was housed in a container.

The FS1 CB was not really precise whether Ursa is a completely new kind: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/Briefing_texts_(FS1-Act3)

New Technology: Project Ursa

Reasearch and Development have nearly completed project Ursa, which should be our best bet at defeating the Shivan Lucifer Destroyer. For those of you that haven't been keeping up, Project Ursa is an attempt to make a new type of Heavy Bomber capable of carrying the Harbinger bomb.

We expect that a wing of Ursas will be available to you on your return trip from Altair.

Offline starlord

Really? Aside from the briefing clip of an ursa firing fury rockets, I don’t really see how.

Unless you are implying that the ursa was a previous bomber modified to carry the n1 instead of a brand new creation maybe?

Also note that:
Fusion bomb surrounded by 3 salted fission bombs - propulsion unit is a half-size version of a regulation GTA fighter thruster (Class II) - given the weight of the payloads, the missile is slow despite the power of the thruster - as the Harbinger is exceptionally large, GTA bombers are limited to carrying 6 of these weapons at any given time - the resultant shock wave from this weapon is potentially deadly, due to the size of the payloads (5000 Mt in total) - use near allied installations or allied ship groupings is strongly discouraged by the GTA - most effective when used in preemptive defensive strike against non-military installations.

The Harbinger is our best chance of destroying the Lucifer.
It means that either the Ursa is capable of carrying more than six of these bad boys, or that there was/is a different bomber in GTA service that was also able to do it.

I'm generally thinking that what ships and weapons you've witnessed in FS1 main campaign aren't really everything that was used by the GTA - not only you're seeing the conflict in its ending stages, so you don't really see the previous 14 years of military technology, you also are set to experience it in only a thin part of the battlefield.
Mito [PL] - Today at 8:52 PM
I was supposed to make a short presentation about basics of optical fibers and here I am, listening to Eurobeat while reading about quantum cryptography.

Really? Aside from the briefing clip of an ursa firing fury rockets, I don’t really see how.

Unless you are implying that the ursa was a previous bomber modified to carry the n1 instead of a brand new creation maybe?

My guess is that the only bomber in GTA use was the Athena until than, and that semi-canonical heavy Apollo from the FS1 intro maybe.

Offline starlord

True, yet I think FS1 has marked a change of doctrine, as the ursa was mentioned I think as the first bomber designed to go after capital ships.

Then again, capital ships in the 14 year war might not have started out as the multi-kilometre behemoths of the Great War, so maybe that statement was simply valid in Great War times.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:21:59 am by starlord »

Also note that:
Fusion bomb surrounded by 3 salted fission bombs - propulsion unit is a half-size version of a regulation GTA fighter thruster (Class II) - given the weight of the payloads, the missile is slow despite the power of the thruster - as the Harbinger is exceptionally large, GTA bombers are limited to carrying 6 of these weapons at any given time - the resultant shock wave from this weapon is potentially deadly, due to the size of the payloads (5000 Mt in total) - use near allied installations or allied ship groupings is strongly discouraged by the GTA - most effective when used in preemptive defensive strike against non-military installations.

The Harbinger is our best chance of destroying the Lucifer.
It means that either the Ursa is capable of carrying more than six of these bad boys, or that there was/is a different bomber in GTA service that was also able to do it.

I'm generally thinking that what ships and weapons you've witnessed in FS1 main campaign aren't really everything that was used by the GTA - not only you're seeing the conflict in its ending stages, so you don't really see the previous 14 years of military technology, you also are set to experience it in only a thin part of the battlefield.

My personal guess is that neither PVN nor GTA had any significant military/space navy assets before fighting that war, simply because there was no real necessity for it. Also, regarding bombers, I'd presume that the cruiser-mounted Fusion Mortar things were doing what they were expected to do (mostly orbital bombardment) so there was no need for super heavy bombers. Very few Orions were destroyed, and I presume the same could be said about Typhons, so the only capships getting blown up on a regular basis would be Atens and Fenrises which don't make supernukes necessary.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think you'd have to start building military space assets as soon as two things became true: interstellar travel and nuclear weapons. In fact they'd probably be the first things built.

Amusingly, I don't think the fusion mortar (or any FS bomb warhead?) can actually generate the delta-V to conduct orbital bombardment from a circular orbit, but that's headed into the foolhardy realm of game physics discussion.

I think you'd have to start building military space assets as soon as two things became true: interstellar travel and nuclear weapons. In fact they'd probably be the first things built.

Are you talking about FS or sci-fi in general? I think you'd need something more exotic than nukes anyway.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Nah.