Author Topic: Paradox Interactive venture into the 4X genre: Stellaris  (Read 5498 times)

Paradox Interactive venture into the 4X genre: Stellaris
Paradox Interactive, mostly known for their historical grand strategy games like Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron, are currently working on Stellaris, which is basically grand strategy in space.
Today, Polygon released a gameplay video showing off an alpha build:

Paradox also releases dev diaries on a weekly basis detailing different aspects of the game:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-developer-diary-archive.882950/

I must say, I'm very excited. Paradox games are known for their deep and complex gameplay, high replayability and long-lasting support (Crusader Kings 2  was released in 2012 and still receives expansions and patches), and with the skills and experience which they gained developing their historical titles Stellaris will surely enrich the genre of 4X games.

Offline Aesaar

Re: Paradox Interactive venture into the 4X genre: Stellaris
I love Paradox Grand Strategy games, but my interest in this is conditional upon one thing:  That it isn't yet another 4X game where everyone starts with only one system and expands from there.  I'd like them to build an actual universe in which the factions aren't balanced.  One where some factions are easier or harder to play.  You know, like it is with their historical games.

Judging by the video, it doesn't look like they're doing that, so I'll probably skip it.  4X games all end up feeling the same after a while.  Balance just gets so boring.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:57:50 pm by Aesaar »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Funny, they used to source this sort of thing to Kereberos.

There's something...weirdly Freelancer about that video. Can't put my finger on it; might be model detail.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I love Paradox Grand Strategy games, but my interest in this is conditional upon one thing:  That it isn't yet another 4X game where everyone starts with only one system and expands from there.  I'd like them to build an actual universe in which the factions aren't balanced.  One where some factions are easier or harder to play.  You know, like it is with their historical games.

Judging by the video, it doesn't look like they're doing that, so I'll probably skip it.  4X games all end up feeling the same after a while.  Balance just gets so boring.

AFAIK, the start will be balanced, yes. But Paradox games are highly moddable, so will be Stellaris and I think sooner or later a mod with unbalanced starting conditions will appear, or it will be implemented later by an expansion or even for free via a patch. So don't give up hope yet :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A game that needs mods to provide an experience I want is not a game I will seriously consider buying.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

A game that needs mods to provide an experience I want is not a game I will seriously consider buying.

This is a rather close-minded sentiment. If I want to play a Game of Thrones Grand Strategy game, I'd have to buy Crusader Kings 2, since there's a mod that does exactly this.
If you think, I have argued to buy the game only with the more or less probable prospect of having a mod which will make that game worth playing for me, then you are mistaken.
I simply meant to say, that you shouldn't completely write off a game that deal-breakingly lacks  feature x, as it may get added or modded in after launch.

Today's devdiary sounds really awesome. I wonder if any other 4X game has actually implemented pre-space flight civilizations before?
Looking forward to creating my own warrior slave race  :D

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-13-primitive-civilizations.897491/

Today's devdiary sounds really awesome. I wonder if any other 4X game has actually implemented pre-space flight civilizations before?

Spore.

Spore is not even close to a 4X. I do remember pre-spaceflight civilisations in Distant Worlds, but Distant Worlds has everything.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Spore is not even close to a 4X. I do remember pre-spaceflight civilisations in Distant Worlds, but Distant Worlds has everything.

Why? There's diplomacy,
You can eXplore
You can eXterminate
You can eXpand
You can eXploit resources (spice)

It has all the elements of a 4X game. Just not bundled in a form that you feel is legitimate.

if an ally was attacked in spore you had to fly to their systems in person and shoot down enemy ships
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Here's a question,
What's the difference between controlling one ship and piling your forces into one "stack of doom"?

If you're required to send your one stack of doom to help an ally, is it any different than sending your one ship?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:46:22 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

I agree.
The only solution here would be for Paradox to acquire the Battletech license, obviously.
(One can dream right? :) )

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter

Why? There's diplomacy,
You can eXplore
You can eXterminate
You can eXpand

It has all the elements of a 4X game. Just not bundled in a form that you feel is legitimate.

If Minecraft/Terraria had diplomacy, would they be 4X game?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Why? There's diplomacy,
You can eXplore
You can eXterminate
You can eXpand

If Minecraft/Terraria had diplomacy, would they be 4X game?

Well they lack both Expansion and Extermination, so no.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
You can build villages which will be friendly to you and you can destroy hostile ones in Minecraft. What's different about that and destroying civilizations on Spore?

Long story short, is any RPG/FPS/TPS/whatever game with base building elements and hostile factions with bases just diplomacy away from being a 4X game?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:02:06 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

You can build villages which will be friendly to you and you can destroy hostile ones in Minecraft. What's different about that and destroying civilizations on Spore?

Well for one thing, only areas around the player are active chunks in minecraft. So it doesn't matter where you build or who you meet because if you're not in close proximity with it, they're essentially in stasis.
Want to bugger off and let stuff cook in the furnace? Won't happen. Want to take a trip and come back to a chest full of eggs? Doesn't work.
You think the Pigmen will forget about the fact they're pissed with you when you re-enter the nether after a long absence? Nope, they're still out for blood.

Compare this to a game like spore or another 4X where colonies will produce or gather materials while you're away.

Further there is no such thing as a "hostile" village in Minecraft. Villages are neutral. They will defend themselves if you attack them, but they don't send out parties to trash your stuff or attack towns you've built.

Mobs will, but mobs can never be taken out. They will always always spawn. You can build a house with iron doors and the mobs will spawn inside because you left the light off.  That's like a ship spawning out of nothing inside your territory. Even in Civilization, barbarians spawn away from your cities. Even then mobs don't attack your stuff (except villagers), they just attack you and any damage to your "colony" or castle is incidental to an attack against you.

Spore has several phases, all of which are obviously aping on other games. Some of the phases are adventure phases, then you get RTS battles, then you get space 4X.  The main difference is that you have a hero rather than being some invisible, undying being
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:51:05 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Getting back to topic: IGN has released a preview explaining the core gameplay mechanics.

Small update: the release date is set on May 9th 2016 and Paradox have started a weekly stream showing off the singleplayer mode.

First episode:

Second episode on twitch (starts around minute 14)
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/56330432

first part of the second episode on youtube:

So far, I like what I'm seeing and I'm seriously considering to get it on release, despite my very long backlog.