Author Topic: X-Wing by Fantasy Flight Games  (Read 13425 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: X-Wing by Fantasy Flight Games
I am more sceptical about Guidance Chips ... you can still avoid a lot of missiles and torps by knowing your maneuver tricks (I forget the exact number -11?- all the time but there is a set number of ship lenghts/1-straight maneuver templates to get into combat distance by turn two) by which you can stay out of the target lock (thankfully Long Range Scanners and Cuidance Chips are mutually exclusive)...

But we will see ... every new wave shakes the meta, this won't be any different
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Knowing maneuver tricks doesn't stop your opponent from outguessing you.  You're correct that it's 11 combined ship lengths (or 27.5 cm for the metric inclined) to get into combat range if you start directly opposite and fly straight toward each other.  That doesn't mean your opponent will politely go along with the speed you expect him or her to go at, and I'd be very impressed if you memorized the relative ship lengths covered by banks and hard turns and extrapolated them into the speed you'd have to go to completely remove the possibility of ending up at range 2-3.

I'll be using Guidance Chips on Wedge with Proton Torpedoes and Predator when they're release.  With Wes at PS 9 (Adaptability) firing and stripping tokens before Wedge (also at PS 9) fires for an average of 2.25 crits and 1.75 hits on his torpedo against between 1 and 2 fewer defense dice (since secondary weapons ignore range bonuses), it's probably a dead regen ace.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I've been waiting for XX-23 thread tracers to get my concussion missile Tala swarm out of mothballs. Guidance Chips are just going to be ocing on that cake. :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline 0rph3u5

You can't prevent your opponent from outguessing you, but you can make it harder - using missiles/torps makes it easier because if you use them you are adding another item onto your priorities list. The more priorities you have per turn complicates what you have to do, making you more predictable for the early game. Now, Target Locks are easy enough to make - and Black Wolf rightly points out that the XX-23 card is going to be a thing for Alpha Strike lists - but they also cost you precious actions, you will then not have to maneuver or for defensive boosts. On top of that, unless you are fielding Nera Dantels (we will see if she comes back or not), most missiles/torps require you to use your front arc, even if you are target locked, so that is another exploit if you just know how.

But I always welcome the option that I am wrong about such things ...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The T-70 X-wing is pretty good about getting off ordnance.  It has a good enough combination of green dice and hull/shield points to soak an attack or two without any real damage, and the triple threat options of 4k and Tallon Rolls to either side is enormously more useful than they initially seem.  I get off torpedoes with my T-70s (when I fly them) with very little difficulty.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
If you fly Omega Leader next to a TIE-D Colonel Vessery with Ion Cannon, holy ****, you are having fun. Omega Leader sits there with comm relay/juke/a target lock, picking away, and meanwhile Vessery is double-tapping with a target lock on each shot and a focus and he's ionizing that asshole so you know exactly where he'll be next turn.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Ion Cannon in general is annoying as **** no matter who's running it.  My opinion is almost certainly influenced by my proclivity for running X-wings which on a good roll from the cannon shooter are literally incapable of dodging it.

Speaking of X-wings, I ran four T-70s tonight ("Blues Brothers" with alternating three Blue Squad Novices and Blue Ace, and four Blue Squad Novices with astromechs and Integrated Astromch).  Went 2-2 against some very good players, and the two games I lost were on the razor's edge of going either way.  I'm not used to losing the pilot skill battle quite as hard as that, but there's a **** load of health to burn through on four T-70s and I love it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
What do you do if Soontir shows up. Just try to keep your guys covering each other?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Pretty much.  I have been flying X-wings for going on three years now, so I have a very good handle on their dial and maneuvering capabilities.  Getting a good shot on Soontir is a matter of getting overlapping fields of fire, and using aggressive maneuvers to block advantageous positions.  Once Interceptors have completed the merge most players rely on two speed maneuvers almost exclusively, and it's relatively easy to exploit that with X-wings especially if you've got the pilot skill advantage (which I'm very used to having).  Without the pilot skill advantage, it's nearly always worth having one ship (or even two or three) not shoot if it means denying an arc-dodger actions and having one or two guns on target.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've got the option between running:

Soontir + PTL + Autothrusters + (something cheap)
Vessery + VI + TIE/D + Ion Cannon + TIE MK2
Omega Leader + Comm Relay + Juke

Or doing a full Soontir with Autothrusters + Stealth Device but losing the VI on Vessery.

Strong feelings either way? I like having OL and Vessery both at 8 for maneuvering options, but...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I've seen Soontir with Stealth Device a million times, but there was a guy running Soontir with a Targeting Computer that won a Store Championship up in Bellevue two weeks ago.  Autothrusters is a must-include, but after that it comes down to what you want out of him.  Having him with TC would help Vessery out on offense if you don't spend it on the attack, and give Vessery a good chance at high offense without committing to a single target during your activation.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah I'm running TC right now. I find myself really missing that extra die sometimes...it's hard to say.

Offline 0rph3u5

My suggestion would be:

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

Colonel Vessery (35)
Adaptability (+1) (0)
Ion Cannon (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/D (0)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Gives you 7-8-9 for maneuvering purposes and let's you have the Stealth Device...

(since you can play the unreleased cards from the Imperial Veterans, I figure those from the Mist Hunter won't be a problem)

==================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's a real good idea.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Adaptability is going to be a lot of fun.  I think that when it finally hits, I'm going to proxy up a few to use in a 5x Green Squadron A-Wing list.  Push the Limit, Adaptability, Chardaan Refit.  Comes to 20 points even.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
X-wing Spring Tournament Kit got revealed today.  Comes with acrylic ion tokens (meh), alt art IG-88C (I don't play scum, but cool I guess), and alt art VI (oh thank ****).

Stoked.

Offline 0rph3u5

After the last preview, I wanted to go back to basics:

"Youngster" (15)
Rage (1)

"Epsilon Leader" (19)
Comm Relay (3)

Black Squadron Pilot (14)
Wired (1)

Wired (1)

Wired (1)

Wired (1)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I don't plan on this list performing super high marks .... its just a "how much tokens can I put on the table" kind of deal...

What do you think?

==================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That's pretty cool. Youngster's gonna get shot to pieces, though, can you find a way to keep him alive any longer?

I guess the question is whether you'd be better off just running Crack Shot on all the Black Squadrons.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Wired is good in case you absolutely, positively need to make a non green manoeuvre after raging.

TBH, I just got utterly curbstomped by an Omega Squadron/Juke/Comm Relay miniswarm the other day, so I can't look at a TIE Swarm without just imagining how much better those are than any other TIE fighters on the table. So, if you can work a couple of them in, I'd do it in a heartbeat!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline 0rph3u5

That's pretty cool. Youngster's gonna get shot to pieces, though, can you find a way to keep him alive any longer?

It is really fun if put to the table as it turns out ....

Youngster is really too fragile - one game I was up against a Corran Horn-build and he didn't last the first shooting phase - but against slower craft it was really funny how much cat-and-mouse you can play if the enemy is so fixed on taking him

I found that you can mitigate the problem by using up to 2 of the Black Squadrons away from Epsilon Leader to try and make the approach more difficult (Wired comes really handy at that point because you are not that peanlized by carrying stress from one turn into another) - it will not solve Youngsters fragility but you can at least carry him into another turn when the enemy redshirts have to spend their focus on defense or have to opt out of TLs if they can't risk tanking that round

Another thing is to remember that Youngster only has to be in R1-3 of friendly TIE Fighters, so you can actually pull him away if the threat becomes to great - the remaining Black Squadrons can still rage as long as Youngster is on the board and nearby

==================