Author Topic: Errr, Steam kind of broke  (Read 5590 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Errr, Steam kind of broke
So Totalbiscuit has picked up on Steam having issues, looks to be caching related but best advice is to avoid logging in, especially to the steam store until Valve has issued a statement on just what happened

Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Re: Errr, Steam kind of broke
I have definitely noticed problems of this sort, myself.

EDIT: Immediately after posting, it seems to be working.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I can't manage to browse the store at all, it keeps sending me back to the main list of stuff on sale or on to DLC of stuff I'm looking at without rhyme or reason. Clicking things from the primary list of stuff on sale merely resets it.

Hell, it's just stopped recognizing games I actually own from its sale list.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
At one point over the past few days, it had me logged in yet not, as it couldn't actually access my inventory so I could check which of this year's trading cards I'd earned.  And then when I did buy a couple of games, I never received any confirmation e-mails (and indeed received a flat-out "Your purchase has failed" error message), yet the games are still in my inventory regardless.  No idea what the hell's going on in Gabeland.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
At one point over the past few days, it had me logged in yet not, as it couldn't actually access my inventory so I could check which of this year's trading cards I'd earned.  And then when I did buy a couple of games, I never received any confirmation e-mails (and indeed received a flat-out "Your purchase has failed" error message), yet the games are still in my inventory regardless.  No idea what the hell's going on in Gabeland.

Was your credit card charged? I haven't had any problems beyond normal steam issues.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
The only issues I have noticed so far are search-related.  For instance, I could search on "Call of Duty" and see that there were 83 pages (which sounds about right, under Bobby Kotick's Activision, so that isn't an issue), but when I would try to sort them by price it would say "no results found."  I haven't bought anything recently, but my trading cards from the sale are showing up OK and no problems with my inventory.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Was your credit card charged? I haven't had any problems beyond normal steam issues.
It was for the one that actually went through, but not for the second one, and in that case I actually got a follow-up email saying, "Your payment failed, but we'll hold the item in your cart with its current discount for the next 72 hours so you can try again."  I did, and that time it went through successfully.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
For anyone who hasn't been keeping track of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkSslseq9Y8 (Tom Scott: Seeing Other People's Steam Accounts: The Christmas Caching Catastrophe)

That's what went wrong.

I would imagine the sporadic downtime we've seen over the past couple of days has been Valve triple-checking everything to make sure this isn't going to happen again.

On the PSA side, if you checked your account details /before/ they shut everything down that first time, there's a slight possibility that your account detail information was visible to others.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
TotalBiscuit has made a followup looking into just what happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esmKdMDvSGI
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
http://kotaku.com/valve-still-hasnt-told-steam-users-about-the-christmas-1750114754

Most of all, it’s infuriating that Valve thinks this is okay, that they can just fire off a press statement and let the crisis blow over without even telling customers that the last four digits of their credit cards may have been inadvertently shown to the world. How can such a smart company, one that’s made such stellar, polished games and dominated the PC gaming landscape for nearly a decade now, be so damn stupid?

Cause they'll get away with it. What are you going to do? Not buy from Steam? That ship has already sailed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I know, I noticed that they posted that after the story had been written on Kotaku. You've worked computer security IIRC, do you think waiting nearly a week to tell people about a computer breach like this one is acceptable?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
A couple quotes jump out at me:
These cached requests did not include full credit card numbers, user passwords, or enough data to allow logging in as or completing a transaction as another user.
no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information
Assuming these are accurate, this is significantly less of a big deal than people were saying it was.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I know, I noticed that they posted that after the story had been written on Kotaku. You've worked computer security IIRC, do you think waiting nearly a week to tell people about a computer breach like this one is acceptable?

No, I've never worked computer security.  And from the content of that blog - Ralwood's excerpts - I think the wait was likely to ascertain exactly what happened and what was lost.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Veers

Is anybody else having issues purchasing from Steam right now?,
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
These cached requests did not include full credit card numbers, user passwords, or enough data to allow logging in as or completing a transaction as another user.
no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information
Assuming these are accurate, this is significantly less of a big deal than people were saying it was.
I was going to make a post to this effect but they did mention billing addresses, which can be a bit of a big deal.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No, I've never worked computer security.  And from the content of that blog - Ralwood's excerpts - I think the wait was likely to ascertain exactly what happened and what was lost.

And if you don't know, don't you think you should be telling people to take basic precautions? You know, like every other site that has even the danger of a leak does? As kotaku mentioned, they did give out more than enough information to say, steal someone's Netflix or X-Box account by using the information to do some social engineering.

But **** it, it's Steam. People are going to defend their ****ty practices while screaming bloody murder if anyone else did it. 

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Actually it wasn't, as identifying information (home address, paypal-linked email address, last four digits of the credit card number) was leaked. Not directly harmful, but not exactly harmless either.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter

Actually it wasn't, as identifying information (home address, paypal-linked email address, last four digits of the credit card number) was leaked. Not directly harmful, but not exactly harmless either.
"Not as big a deal as people were saying" != "harmless". I concur with everything you just said there; it also doesn't contradict what I said in any way.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't know, I consider these things to be a pretty big deal.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns